Grant wrote: Nice. Lots of goodies there. Did you get the Zactomodel corrections directly from the website? I'll be really interested to see how they go.
Yes, I got the intakes direct from Zactoman's website. He was a pleasure to deal with, and was happy to throw some Aim 9X I also purchased for myself and Bruce Young into the intakes box (plenty of spare space!) at no extra charge for shipping. Got to say his intakes (and the Aim's) are beautifully cast and packaged. I'm expecting they'll fit just as well.
Nice stuff Terry. Will watch this keenly. If I was to dedicate a build to our cat it would probably have to be an Hawkeye or E-3 Sentry. We always found her perched on a ledge overseeing her domain, and if anyone came close, she would run away.
I will get around to an update soon, promise, but for now I'd just like to moan about Aires product quality control. The cockpit has got more warp than Scotty on the Enterprise. It's even skewed when looking from above.
To top it off the Aires front wheel well fouls beneath it, possibly because the pit is warped, but most likely because it never was going to fit. So a good days modelling has been given up to boiling a resin cockpit in a pot, sanding and filing resin, and the odd #$%&!, and it's nearly fit, but not in that precise kind of way where the next step is paint, but in the get out the plastic strip and filler to plug the gaps and replace the pilots floor sort of way
And before someone can say "why not ask for a replacement", I was concerned that I'd lose my momentum waiting weeks or longer for a replacement, and it had not escaped me that I might just get yet another warped part to replace it, so it was time to cook up some resin!
CyNaKyL wrote: Man that is twisted!
Zacto stuff is supposed to be awesome, have never used it myself but have never heard a bad word about it!
I can report the Zacto intakes are absolutely brilliant. They fit exzactly as Chris (Zactoman) describes in the instructions. He even provides two packing strips in the box and indicates where to fit them, and they slot in as snug as a bug.
btw, thanks for the encouragement guys... (Grant can be excused for his Tornado mis-adventure, not sure about Tania though )
As promised a few photos below. The only thing that I wish I had done prior to cutting the plastic part was taking a photo of the original kit wing parts taped together with the cockpit section taped into it as a baseline reference. In reality the fit of Zacto intakes is so well done it's put my mind mostly at ease, but modifying kits can and do have hiccups. I have a backup plan anyway, where I ask in house Tomcat nutter Bruce to tape his D together if I get too curious or stuck.
I'm relieved to say I've finally back onto this build having been delayed with "things not hobby" and waiting for Aires to replace my warped cockpit. I did have success in taking the twist out of the cockpit part by heating it up in boiling water, but unfortunately the part was also skewed in plan so the divider walls in particular did not marry up to the rear or the pilot and rio upper consoles, and the side infills refused to sit flush with the sills. One warped part created a bad fit clusterf#ck!
As for the new replacement part in a glorious shade of Russian bile green, I can report it was worth the wait. The replacement cockpit was neither warped or skewed like my original part, so all the other parts now fit correctly and require little if any tweaking to fit, other than perhaps small amounts of filler to a few tiny gaps.
Some recent activity has been cutting away the solid mesh for the aircon vents and scratch building fans and housing and new mesh vent covers to fuselage part (sorry out of focus). More photos when glued in and complete.
Good to see you back at the modelling desk Terry - and good on you for getting a replacement cockpit. The colour change suggests a change in the resin mix, possibly as a result of your complaint and maybe some others too. Sometimes it's important to remind manufacturers of what is acceptable quality.
Yep, Ian was right. There's dry brushing in my future
Latest update showing progress on my F-14D cockpit. Stynlrez (or however you spell it?!) undercoat on all the resin parts is on, pit was then painted in Mr Color 317 and hand painting of instruments all in Vallejo Model Color. More detail paint still to apply, but gradually getting there. Still to come is the clear gloss coat in preparation for a wash, more dry brushing, more chipping and a filter coat to finish it off. Seats have been undercoated black and so far only squabs painted. Consoles and side infills only base colour painted so far.
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Big Kitty - Trumpeter 1/32 F-14D
2 years 11 months ago #31