× The subject of this group build is the diorama, broadly defined. It is open to any scale, genre, medium, or subject matter: sci-fi, military, non-military, aircraft, ships, tanks, animals, historic scenes... whatever takes your fancy!

Eastern Front Winter Tanks Dio - *T-34 FINISHED*

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Xtr3meNZer
  • Xtr3meNZer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #61 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic Eastern Front Winter Tanks Dio
Well, I got 4 teeth out on Tuesday last week... 3 wisdoms, and one that one of the wisdoms had buggered - lets say it didn't go smoothly, and leave it at that...

I was able to manage some build time on Friday, and then Yesterday, so it's all moving ahead quite quickly now, would like to have this done in a day or two!

So I have made the base up, and added some snow effects to it. I used the old tracks that came with the kit, and made the imprint of the tracks coming through the mud. I have also used oils and mud pigment etc to get the mud looking wet, and fresh. Using a mix of PVA, and two types of snow products I have, I mushed up the side of the track imprints.

On one corner I added some trees in there, and some yellow/dead grass. I went outside and found some old leaves, and crushed them up into almost a powder, and mixed that with some PVA. Spread liberally around the base of the trees, and once happy, dusted some more snow effects over it.

On the other corner, I have included a 'dead german soldier', and some rubble. I made the rubble by cutting up a brick wall set I had in scale, and placed them in with some more clay. This is still quite new, was done last night. Still to come in this corner, snow effects and filler, which will cover more of the body, and blend the bricks in nicely.

On to the tank. Well, it's been snowed! The wife actually gave me a hand with this while I was sulking in pain, and she quite enjoyed it. So she has snowed up the tank, under my instruction, and a bit of artistic licence of her own. I think it's turned out quite well to be honest! I also made the tracks on Sunday, man what a mission, but damn, they look sooo good. They have yet to have any weathering, so will be getting on to that tonight. So mud and snow to come, and will be dirtying up the back some more.

On to the pictures! Sorry if you read through all that, and didn't find it interesting! :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nth-Shore Modlr
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #62 by Nth-Shore Modlr
Replied by Nth-Shore Modlr on topic Eastern Front Winter Tanks Dio
The Iron Maiden was the torture device......

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #63 by Xtr3meNZer

Nth-Shore Modlr wrote: The Iron Maiden was the torture device......

Yes... but this is the Iron Penguin ;)

More
3 years 11 months ago #64 by yak
Replied by yak on topic Eastern Front Winter Tanks Dio
Awesome stuff mate, you may have already said but what did you use for the snow?

Rob

No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab Rebuild
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car
1/24 Fujimi Nissan S14 Silvia (early)
1/24 Fujimi Autech S14 Silvia (late)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Xtr3meNZer

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #65 by Xtr3meNZer
Cheers Yak!

I've made the snow from a mixture of PVA glue, and two products - Scenorama snow (a very fine grit) and Warlord Games Snow Basing (this is more like a cotton wool like substance, but very very fine, and quite strange really). I mix more of the Warlord Games stuff with the PVA, and get it to a nice mush, also adding in some of the scenorama stuff. Then once I have put it on to the area, I sprinkle on more scenorama stuff. Once that's on, you're able to use your finger to mould it to shape a bit more... flatten it so it's not so raised etc...

Hopefully this helps anyone that might want to make some snow :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yak

More
3 years 11 months ago #66 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Eastern Front Winter Tanks Dio
Looking very good. I'd bury that guy in more snow. Less is more in this case. The other thing to check is which winter it was so that the age of the tank 1942??? matches the German. He's dressed for 1941 the poor fellow, and I can't remember if the tank is later or not. In 42 the guy would have a whitewashed helmet most probably, and may be winter gear if he was lucky. Very convincing snow btw, and I hope the teeth are on the mend.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
3 years 11 months ago #67 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Eastern Front Winter Tanks Dio
Awesome work on the groundwork, that snow is very convincing. the ground work around the dead trees is superb.
Smashing work :cheer:

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #68 by Xtr3meNZer
Cheers guys :)

Have to mention also, that the base of the whole thing has been done in clay first... then a snow layer over top...

Cheers Bishop for the suggestions, but I had already done them :P I did plan on snowing up the bricks and soldier, and was thinking about the winter gear, but in my mind, his winter jacket was taken from him - why not ;) I might lighten up the helmet a bit, but I didn't want to have it fall away into the background of snow and white... I hope that makes sense.

So last night I muddied up the tracks and filled in snow around the bricks and the soldier. I think the bricks look too red for my liking... but it's a bit late to change them now. Though they do look more a brown in real colour... still a bit rich, instead of orangy brown..

More
3 years 11 months ago #69 by Bishop
I agree. You will lose the helmet so leave it nice and wet looking. THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!! as does the mud on the back of that tank!

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #70 by Xtr3meNZer

Bishop wrote: I agree. You will lose the helmet so leave it nice and wet looking. THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!! as does the mud on the back of that tank!

Thanks muchly sir tank master :) Means a lot coming from you lol.

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #71 by Xtr3meNZer
Good morning all. I can now confirm I have finished the T-34 half of this dio to what I wanted it to look like :)

Any questions or comments welcome. Will get some better pics with the wifes fancy camera over the weekend with my new photo light box studio thing if it comes through today...

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Xtr3meNZer.

More
3 years 11 months ago #72 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Eastern Front Winter Tanks Dio
Very nice indeed.
I'd say the only thing letting it down is the wood on the base (unless it is from an old T-34 ammo crate......). Have you thought about popping to your local picture framers and having them make up a surround for it? The mitre stuff they use would be easy enough to make a frame to go round your dio.
Just a thought.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #73 by Xtr3meNZer
Cheers Gary - I have thought about it... I was trying to figure out how to make it look better... I should have masked around the sides, to preserve the wood underneath lol. I will be looking at some bevelled wood framing, or potentially smoothing it out and painting it.

The original plan was to have the wood naturally start to silver up, and it would have suited the rest of it... but I don't think that's going to work.

More
3 years 11 months ago #74 by Bishop
I actually think the base looks perfect for the Russian winter scene, rough like the damaged trees and like the wood used to make dug outs etc. A really fine diorama very nicely done.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
3 years 11 months ago #75 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Eastern Front Winter Tanks Dio
That has turned out awesome Kane.
Snow and Mud effects are very realistic. I am going to re build/touch up my Bulge dio an hope my ground work end up half this good. :whistle:

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #76 by Xtr3meNZer
Thank you both! Much appreciate the kind words :)