× The subject of this group build is the diorama, broadly defined. It is open to any scale, genre, medium, or subject matter: sci-fi, military, non-military, aircraft, ships, tanks, animals, historic scenes... whatever takes your fancy!

Flakbunker

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Andrew
  • Andrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Serial kit starter...
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #1 by Andrew
Flakbunker was created by Andrew
With the amount of other builds (planned and WIP) I thought I had better not get too carried away with ideas for this

Whilst moving house, I came across the old beginnings of a Verlinden Flak Bunker that I must have started in the mid 2000s. I only got as far as shaping the polystyrene roughly for the earth sections back then before it was abandoned to the shelf of shame.

I've decided to pull it back to the bench for this GB.

I've managed to locate a DML 2cm Flak 38 in the stash. I'm still deciding what figures to use. I have a Tamiya German Soldiers at Rest set, but may end up using something else. Will be adding spares from the stash.

Here are the initial pics

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Andrew.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #2 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic Flakbunker
Top stuff. :) I've thought about going simple too to make sure I get finished.

More
3 years 9 months ago #3 by Powder
Replied by Powder on topic Flakbunker
Cool choice. I have another diorama project in the wings that's set around a British 'pillbox' bunker. I'll keep an eye on your build for some tips.
The thing I haven't quite got my head around is how to make fresh concrete look interesting. Even the Verlinden box art shows the concrete to be dirtier than I would expect it to be for a structure less than 5 years old - maybe I'm just over-thinking things. :)

Are the Verlinden walls solid resin? If so, then that must weigh a bit.

More
3 years 9 months ago #4 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Flakbunker
Nice Andrew, watching here :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew

More
3 years 9 months ago #5 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic Flakbunker

Powder wrote: Cool choice. I have another diorama project in the wings that's set around a British 'pillbox' bunker. I'll keep an eye on your build for some tips.
The thing I haven't quite got my head around is how to make fresh concrete look interesting. .

Not so old poured concrete,

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

The following user(s) said Thank You: Powder

More
3 years 9 months ago #6 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Flakbunker
Thanks for this Maarten, so what kind of effect/pattern would be on say one of the Flakturns in Berlin? I assume they would of been poured and shuttered with Wood, but would the wood of been planks or sheets?
Cheers
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
3 years 9 months ago #7 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Flakbunker
Fantastic, thanks Maarten. I'll start another thread and move this over to it as I don't want to hijack the thread.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
3 years 9 months ago #8 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic Flakbunker
Will be looking forward to seeing this one come together Andrew

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
3 years 9 months ago #9 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Flakbunker

Powder wrote: Are the Verlinden walls solid resin? If so, then that must weigh a bit.

No, these older Verlinden sets are cast plaster. Still quite weighty though.+ Need to get some araldite or liquid nails to secure it to the base

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
3 years 9 months ago #10 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Flakbunker
I loved pouring through the Verlinden catalogues looking at these kits. I made up one of my own a while back just from looking at the pictures. Watching this.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
3 years 5 months ago #11 by Andrew
Finally an update :whistle:

Having a minor break from the Wellington, so thought I'd make a start on the Flak gun for this. Construction begins with the gun platform. I built Tamiya's 2cm Flak years ago, and I swear that the Tamiya kit has less parts for whole thing than what the DML has on the base. I must be close to 25 parts in so far and am only at this point :lol:

I should be able to finish off construction on the flak gun by the weekend. I have a catch up with old workmates I haven't seen for over 7 years on Friday night, so that may affect production lol

I need to look at sorting the groundwork soon. I might raid the first aid box to find some bandage, then locate my bag of plaster of paris in the garage to work some covering for the polystyrene

Attachments:

More
3 years 5 months ago #12 by Xtr3meNZer
Best of luck! Looks nicely detailed

More
3 years 5 months ago #13 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Flakbunker
Nice to see this up again :woohoo:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
3 years 5 months ago #14 by Andrew
Almost done on the build for the Flak gun. Just need to finish gluing the gun shields on

Hoping to get back into the model room later today.

Didn't get as messy as anticipated on Friday night, but had a trip to the dentist yesterday and got 5 teeth out (3 wisdom and 2 munted ones from wisdom pushing into them)

More
3 years 5 months ago #15 by yak
Replied by yak on topic Flakbunker
looking good :)

Rob

No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab Rebuild
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car
1/24 Fujimi Nissan S14 Silvia (early)
1/24 Fujimi Autech S14 Silvia (late)

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
3 years 5 months ago #16 by Andrew
Update time :whistle:

Have pretty much finished assembly on the Flak gun. Had a few issues getting there. I broke a part off the gun, and after almost 30 minutes of searching on the floor I found it! :woohoo:

My mouth has been pretty sore from the extractions on Monday, despite taking a couple of types of painkillers :( The kids have been playing up too with the daylight savings change, so haven't been in the best frame of mind. I decided to tackle the PE mesh basket for the ejected shell casings. The DML instructions are pretty vague. After supergluing the first PE part on, it became obvious that the part was supposed to be fitted to the inner side of the plastic :evil: I managed to get if off and fitted it correctly. I then tried to fit the next part. I annealed the PE to help bend/shape it, but just couldn't get it to fit/sit right. By this stage I was getting pretty frustrated ( All I could hear in my head is G1 saying me smash! :evil: :lol: ) but thought better of it and went to bed to attack it again the next day. Before going to sleep, I had a quick google search to see if anyone else had built it, and if they had issues. I found a kit review on PMMS that informed me that the mesh is oversized! :blink: No wonder I couldn't get it to fit!! I trimmed the mesh and managed to get it in place.

Here are pics of the assembled gun

I've left the barrel off for painting

I brought some rolled bandage and a bag of plaster of paris ready to start the groundwork

Attachments:

More
3 years 5 months ago #17 by Xtr3meNZer
Ouch about the teeth mate. I had mine out in February, and still having nigling issues... can't feel part of my lip due to nerve bruising... hopefully back within 6 months the dentist reckons... I know what it's like to be too bloody sore to model though.

Looking good though :)

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
3 years 5 months ago #18 by Andrew
Primed the baseboard

Attachments:

More
3 years 5 months ago #19 by Powder
Replied by Powder on topic Flakbunker

Andrew wrote: Primed the baseboard

When I first read your post I thought it said 'Primed the bastard' - I thought Andrew's trying some new technique of 'aggressive modelling'. :)

Nice priming.