Conflict: Vietnam – Kiwimodeller.com Indochina/Vietnam Wars GB
The Indochina Wars were a series of wars fought in Southeast Asia from 1946 until 1989, between communist Indochinese forces against mainly French, South Vietnamese, American, Cambodian, Laotian and Chinese forces. The term "Indochina" originally referred to French Indochina, which included the current states of Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.
The focus of our GB will be the first and second Indochina Wars.
The GB will be launched on 1st November 2016, and run until 1st November 2017.
The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in the First and Second Indochina Wars.
The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread. There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote.
Voting will run for the week following the 1st of November 2016, ending Midday the 8th of November 2017. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.
The paint finish on this is excellent, you must be really happy with that. I'd be tempted to leave the rudder. Ripping off that decal could be a really annoying finish to a really nice build. Although you could possibly avoid the masking touching the decal itself by holding or masking a bit of thick paper against the edge of the decal and spraying it that way.
cheers Grant, thank you. yeah pretty pleased with this. good idea on the paper or card ... I think I will give that ago! I really don't want to mask the decal...had nothing but pain and swearing with that.
Thanks for all the nice words chaps, I have a good feeling about this one which is unusual, usually I clear coat it, try and ignore the mistakes and put it away...start another one.
So I realise I'm actually finishing this one a bit early, I still have the seats and pilots to do on the F4,... plus my 3 models at once rule is in play so I thought I'd build a mate for the Vietnam GB and put them together.
So here is the other side of the fight.... the Mig 17!
Quite a detailed engine so I may pose this with the rear fuselage split...
The size is interesting its easy to see why the mig was far more manoeuvrable than the F4 and why the lack of a gun really hampered the Phantom drivers.
This is the scheme I'm going for... or variation of.
something to add the kit is really good for creating 3 versions of the Mig 17, from nose intake, intake splitter and cockpit IP. As I said it has three different noses, so I'm going for the old legacy flat nose, rather than the "radar nose" nose shown on the box lid. Nice work Trumpeter so far this is a really good kit the dry fit shows no problems.
... so I have zero patience when it comes to modelling so to stop from putting fingers into wet paint of gluing stuff to wet paint or other things that the glue hasn't dried on etc... I usually build a "minor' build to keep me busy while things are drying or setting. I try and stay in my 3 builds at once limit,.. doesn't always work, anybody else do the same...or am I the weirdo?
Anyway I finished my minor build last night, funny enough a Vietnam era A6 "wild weasel" monogram 1:48, bit of fun, really enjoyed the build.
Nice job on the filler build, if you are a weirdo you aren't the only one here.
I've generally got upwards of 10 builds on the go at any one time and as many again that are part started in the boxes that "I'll get around to completing" as anyone who's looked through my stash will attest to.
Thanks Gary, I didn't go all out on this as its raised panel lines and not terribly detailed (could not be arsed rescribing), although I must say the fit was pretty good for and old monogram kit going back to the late 80's. In its day it would have been up there...
Man I can't have 10 on the go....I'd run out of bench space and end up loosing bits,... I do that now with only 3 or 4.
So more progress on the MIG, cockpit was a bit sparse so a scratch built some appropriate wires (with solder) and some ever green strips for pipes or control runs. The yellow strips are pushrods for the manual controls joystick and rudder! bloody bullet proof
I will display this in maintenance with the fuselage broken and the engine on display. never done that before, will be cool.