"It was the dawn of the Third Age of Mankind, ten years after the Earth-Minbari War. The Babylon Project was a dream given form. Its goal: to prevent another war by creating a place where Humans and aliens could work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call – home away from home for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers. Humans and aliens wrapped in two million, five-hundred thousand tons of spinning metal, all alone in the night. It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last best hope for peace. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2258. The name of the place is Babylon 5."
About 12 months ago I finished the Warp Models Omega Class Destroyer E.A.S. Agamemnon from the 90's TV show, Babylon 5 (which is my favourite Sci-Fi to this Day). Aggy (as she is known to her friends) is a resin kit, cast to order with all the gotchas that entails. Resin kits are not for the faint hearted, but considering she was the first one I had done, I am quite proud of how she turned out:
In the series, the Earth Alliance is not the most advanced race, so the ships have a very utilitarian look to them on the show - they do have a certain beauty all of their own though
The Omega was the successor to the Nova class, and both look very similar with the exception being the Nova did not have the rotating section to simulate gravity. About 2 months ago, The Nova Class Dreadnaught E.A.S. Eisenhower arrived on the door step, so armed with a bit more experience I started the kit.
parts were initially de-bagged and each group of bits were scrubbed with a tooth brush and left to soak in a solution of simple green for about 2 weeks before construction started.
Firstly, the engine housing gets built up - not much to see but this forms the guide for the rest of the hull:
Lots of gaps means lots of filler, and the cunning use of plasti-card. After dry fitting, I found (not unsurprisingly) that the cut out on the midsection for the forward body didn't fit so there was no way to position the foward section of the hull, not without some help from the razor saw and my trusty files. After dry fitting and gluing I come down the next morning before work and much to my chagrin I realised the forward section was on slight upward angle...nuts.
After some very careful sawing around the glue line the section came away perfectly. A bit of filler (milliput for the large sections, tamiya modelling putty for the smaller ones and tamiya surface primer for the little bits) she starts to take shape:
Of course, a warship wouldn't be complete without guns. Lots of guns
I find that photos of a kit while its still covered in putty always make things look rougher and more disjointed than they really are. What I will usually do with a kit like this is once I'm satisfied I've probably done a good job, I will spray prime the areas I've worked on to highlight any places I need to do more work. It looks like for Ike, the amount of rework will be almost nill - the putty, sand, putty cycle has taken 2 weeks to do on the mid and forward sections but she is starting to come together.
After a few days, some more priming on the rest of the hull sections which has highlighted a couple of bits needing attention. Also, the section to be covered with the frontal armour section (the signature Earth Alliance hammer head) has been largely built out and had an additional coat of black gloss primer.
The hull will eventually be a Vellejo metallic magnesium with dark iron and gun metal accents and highlights.
Primed and base coat of Tamiya dark iron and adding the engine block:
Turns out I did a very good job of sanding. After masking out some panels and then two coats of tamiya metallic grey, she is starting to come together
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Stevens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shaunfletcher
So cool, always wanted to do an Omega Class, but couldn't find a good kit or at least one within my skills and budget. This looks like a great kit and you've done a great job of putting it together.
I've built the Revell B5 kit and I've still got another B5 kit in the stash along with 4 or 5 Star Furies.
B5 is without a doubt my favourite Space Opera of all time, it was well ahead of it's time for a number of reasons.
'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
The omega is somewhat easier in many ways as the alignment between the forward and aft section doesn't need to be as precise thanks to the rotating section. I am planning on doing another omega but from a different supplier (who also do Star Fury Thunderbolt). US$100 + shipping seems reasonable
(about 3/4s of the way down)
Quite a bit more work accomplished over the last week. As with lots of things, most of the work is in the prep.
Missile hatches (red) have been added, as have most of the 'spikey' bits (antennae etc). The foward nose gun mounts need to be added, as do an addtional 3 aft mounts. PE around the engines has also been added. Decalling has been done early as given the position of the foward guns, they'll be difficult to get to later.The hull has had a coat of varnish to protect the paint and to give the decals a gloss surface to adhere to.
Two layers of future were added to base and seal in the decals. After that some (army painter) matte varnish (All things considered I prefer testors dullcote) and some smoke powder for breaking up the colours and giving her a bit more of a used look
Lateral view showing the Hammer head side detailing and missile tubes (red)
And here she is with her sister
All things considered, she has turned out quite well.