So did the masking and a sanding took great care as to not destroy the raised detail (learnt a lot from the B-29) there was luckily a 10 cm set of parallel panel lines which run on the spine so that helped, i got the seam nice and flat although it still looks a bit raised in the light??
This is it compared to the 1:48 B-29 remember the B-36 is only 1:72!!!!!
I also tidied up my display unit and polished the perspex after the electricians been,... starting to look ok!
Oooh, is that the 'Southern Cross' at top left?
I have the Zvezda 1/72 kit, then Valom brought out their version with the VH-USU markings that it flew with in NZ - so I bought that kit too.
I'll build both one day as there're a few differences between 'Trans-Pacific' spec and the 'Tans-Tasman' spec - enough to make both worthy additions to my collection.
so still having trouble getting the top seam right so... start on the next one!
Tupelov Tu-160 "White Swan"
So this is the 1:72 from AMODEL and man its not the trumpetor kit! It is a mixed media kit which means the main body is actually a type of fiber glass. which means the dremel has had a hell of a work out. You have to cut sections out of it and mate the styrene parts with it (gear wells, engines) .... this will be hard
I'd also not really looked at the styrene parts close up and man they are bad. flash, poorly molded, fit is awful,.. although surprisingly the odd part has really good details ,.. others a just lumps.
So this is what it looks like in 1:1 its about twice the size of the B1, ...the 1:172 is almost as big as the 1:48 B1!
Anyway i'd dremeled the body about a month ago will find those photo's but here is the styrene cockpit. its big for a 1:72
so 3 guesses what this bit is... the crew hatch and...... yeah the toilet!!!!
Rear crew stations and the Pit primed
The nose has the fueling probe which i may model extended??? what do you think?
And here is the horrible body and the wings which actually don't match.... no idea what i'm going to do with that...
See how you have to dremel bits of the cast body out to insert the streyne parts, you can see here the swing wing mechanism.
i posed the Tu-160 next to the B-1b... remeber the Tu-160 is 1:72!!!!
Did a bit on the cockpit not going crazy with the detail as its 1:72 and you can see SWEET FA with the lid on. gotta say tho the seat detail is very accurate... they are K36 seats! its one of the weird thing about this kit some bits are hyper accurate... other bits are like a babies bum!!! (smooth and sh*tty)
and it fits.... mostly... i know you expect models to fit and fit well, i'd be happy if the gap was less than 4mm - seriously plastic card time
1) Tolerant Wife, well she was, even liked model making, thats not what caused the divorce ! The GF is fairly tolerant of model making, she makes jewelry.(also not the cause of the divorce)
2) No kids at all,... although two dogs... one like model parts and thinks they're yummy
3) Nope... mid sized
4) Big area/man cave that i build myself under the house.
5) No a big bush section which is in dire need of attention...i think i could have a whole village of pygmies on the section and not know about it, thats a summer job!!
6) No just a modelling compulsion!!!! ...... i do need to spend some couch time with the GF and not smelling of thinners all the time helps....
Hey nuuuuumann do you know my neighbor???? I got a complaint last night about some trees on my section, which then extended to some bitchy comments about it being generally untidy...(you could hide a tyrannosaurus ... untidy is not the word)
I wanted to say... "have you seen the size of the B-36 im building...."
out with the chainsaw this weekend.... although weather looking dicey.
My mate Photoshopped this for me a while ago,... it was my man cave window....seems appropriate
Hey grover i used dust gloves for handling as because it is "metal" finger prints leave acid marks but once its on and dried for a few days even lacquer thinner won't shift it and it can be masked quite happily
as you can see below.... the wing walk this took most of the night! paint is still drying so looks a bit blotchy, not looking forward to the decals.
Damn, there are some big aircraft there! That Tu-160 is a monster:blink: I bought the 1/48 B-1, but i think it is too big, i need to downsize it to 1/72 as i would like to hang a heap of cold war bombers from the ceiling and now you have made me want a Tu-160. I think i had better reinforce the ceiling too:P
5) No a big bush section which is in dire need of attention...i think i could have a whole village of pygmies on the section and not know about it
Maybe not Pygmies, but the Wilderpeople may be in there!!
It seems masking Acrylic over the top of alclad then masking that is a recipe for disaster and bubbling and stuff, I've pretty much painted the top of the wing 3 times sometimes 4 in places. I know i sort of knew it was a bad idea to start with but hey i'm an idiot
I sort of have 3 options:
Continue spot fixing
Sand the whole wing back re-scribe and repaint using either alcald or acrylic (but not both)
Ignore move on and start decaling
Its hard seeing the imperfections as they show up in different light(being essentially different shades of the same color) and with a 1 meter wing span its a bit hard to chuck the thing about
so i took a break yesterday and moved on to the jet pods, the gear and the props,, the phone died so only got a quick snap of the gear.
About 2 tamyia paint pots high.... and this is 1:72 folks!!!