Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
This is a Group build to remember the sacrifices of Bomber Command and other air forces of the world during WWII
Bomber Command was founded in 1936, 4 years later on the night of May 11/12 1940, Bomber Command made it's first night time Raid. The build will run from 11th May 2016 until April 21st 2017 which date coincides with the last raid on Berlin.
See the "Rules" topic for more details.
  • Page:
Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: 1/48th Tamiya Mosquito B. IV

1/48th Tamiya Mosquito B. IV 2 years 6 months ago #1

• johnsnz
  • johnsnz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 107
I've been having a bit of a 'Mosquito' week this week. Just prior to heading off to AiC I bought a new Airfix Mosquito PRXVI kit. Which arrived on Monday.

If you know this kit then you'll know that it's a 'typical' Airfix mash up of the old FB VI kit and some new bits to make a PRXVI the new bits being some fuselage halves and the all important 2 stage Merlin Nacelles. The kit however arrived minus an entire Sprue this sprue contained the top wing parts and the Merlin Nacelles.

This sort of thing happens from time to time with Airfix kits so I'm not surprised or that upset. Its just one of the outcomes of outsourcing to a low cost base manufacturer. Anyhow I've sent in a spare parts request to Airfix and contacted the retailer who has kindly refunded me and let me keep the kit. That's all good and I'm sure something will pan out around the missing bits.

I conducted a bit of a test fit with the bits I have and the kit while nice will need a bit of elbow grease to get things fitting well. So I popped into Model Air Yesterday.
If you haven't been in go and do so the Window Display is fantastic themed around the Navy Anniversary with a huge Leander Class Frigate in the window.

I stocked up on a bit of paint and picked up Tamiya's 1/48 Mosquito B.IV which is simply superb...

I thought I'd build it as a WiP here as part of the GB. I'm not sure if I'll add any AM or what scheme I'll build (Perhaps 105 Sqn) but it will be a RAF Bomber.

Cheers
John
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1/48th Tamiya Mosquito B. IV 2 years 6 months ago #2

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Nice John, the Mozzie is an awesome plane, never been skilled enough with kite building to take one on, in saying that we will see how the two planes i'm building at the moment turn out, could take one on yet.
Looking forward to checking out your progress.

1/48th Tamiya Mosquito B. IV 2 years 6 months ago #3

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1165
Really is a great looking aircraft, will be looking forward to making my large scale one (got given the 32nd scale one... bloody hell lol), that's going to be a mission.

Look forward to seeing your progress

• Page:
Moderators: Andrew