• Davidrnz
  • Davidrnz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #1 by Davidrnz
1:72 Airfix Spitfire Mk. Vb was created by Davidrnz
Hi all,

Yesterday (24-04-11), a small group of us from the Waikato Club gathered at Gary's place for a group build.
In the spirit of the "build a crappy kit" thread I decided to see how quickly I could build an old kit from the stash. I probably should have chosen something other than a Spitfire because the painting process has slowed down this build somewhat (more colours = more time waiting for paint to dry and time spent masking for the next colour).

Anyway, here is progress so far on the 1:72 Airfix Spitfire MkVb (1974 kit).

I arrived at Gary's at around 10:30 am.

The speed of this build was helped by using Gary's own Glue blend - Great Stuff!

I glued the top halves of the wings to the fuselage first to save the hassle of filling the seams.

Prop done, fuselage and wings ready for paint. I usually use Enamels, but for this build paint drying speed has been important, so the detail bits are brush painted in acrylic...

...and the airframe is sprayed using Mr Colour Lacquers. Bottom of the aircraft was sprayed Medium Sea Grey.

The bottom was masked With Tamiya tape and the top sprayed Ocean Grey. This was the state of the model at 4:00pm. Time to go home...

A couple more hours more work this morning (25-04-11), and its all ready for decals...
This build is turning out reasonably tidily, so I might see if I can find (or cobble together) some decals to finish it as a 485 (NZ) Squadron aircraft, rather than using the kit supplied codes.

In spite of its age, this kit isn't so bad after all. The shape is reputed to be among the more accurate Spitfire kits, and I didn't need too much filler. With less haste and a proper interior, it could probably be built into a very respectable model.
Word of warning however, The painting instructions would have you paint the upper camouflage in Slate Gray/Light Aircraft Gray and the undersides Dark Green???!!! Who follows the instructions anyway?

David.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by McCoy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #2 by charlieboy
Replied by charlieboy on topic 1:72 Airfix Spitfire Mk. Vb
nice job in a short space of time!!

• McCoy
  • Manager
  • Manager
  • 1:72 is the way to fly...
More
8 years 10 months ago #3 by McCoy
Replied by McCoy on topic 1:72 Airfix Spitfire Mk. Vb
Excellent mate!

At my chaotic desk:

Airfix: Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 1:72
Heller: FW 190 A-5 1:24
Revell: F-104C Starfighter 1:72
AZ Model: TP-81 Grumman Goose 1:72
Tasca: Sherman Firefly Vc 1:35
DML: Panther D 1:35
Tamiya: Char B1 Bis 1:35
Tamiya: Cromwell Mk.IV 1:35
Tamiya: Sherman M4 Early 1:35

As I build slowly...

Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee