× We've had Aircraft and Armour Group builds before on Kiwimodeller, but never a dedicated ship building group build. Time to get your ship together!

The GB will be launched on 1st November 2016, and run until 1st November 2017.

It is open to any scale, and material

The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread. There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote.
Voting will run for the week following the 1st of November, ending Midday the 8th of November. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.

Moderators will be Andrew and Declan (Gibbs)

Hobby Boss 1:350 USS Chicago 688 Class

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • grover
  • grover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
3 years 4 months ago #1 by grover
The USSChicago(SSN-721) was one of the main platforms in Tom Clancy's Red Strom Rising novel, and as such part of my little effort to build platforms from the book.
The Hobby Boss kit allows for the building of 3 different types of 688. The Original 688, the 688 VLS with 12 vertical Launch Tubes in the bow for the launch of Harpoon anti-ship missiles, or Tomahawk cruise missiles, and the 688i which were greatly improved, both the sensors and the quietening of the boat. Chicago is a 688 VLS type.

The kit comes with decals, a photoetch card with 2 screws and a nameplate for the included stand.
File Attachment:

With the kit allowing 3 optional builds, there is one lower hull and 2 upper hulls. One with and one without the vertical launch tubes.
File Attachment:

The stand is simple and unobtrusive.
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I started on the conning tower, choosing to have all antenna and scopes up
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Putting the 2 hull halves together proves to be a challenge. Although there are locating pins, there was still a bit of overlap, especially on the bow. Given how the kit has a textured surface, I dont know how I'm going to fix the step.
File Attachment:

As you can see, not much to the build, but I need a simple build to keep me motivated with more important things taking most of my time these days.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #2 by Powder
Replied by Powder on topic Hobby Boss 1:350 USS Chicago 688 Class
Hey you're racing along. Great start. - while I'm still staring at my U-boat :unsure: ... you know how it is, measure twice cut once etc. :)

How many props has your thing got. I can see 3x PE and 1x plastic

More
3 years 4 months ago #3 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Hobby Boss 1:350 USS Chicago 688 Class
Cool Grover. No hurry for these things and children ( baby's ) are time consuming.
I had twins argh !!
Looks good so far mate.

More
3 years 4 months ago #4 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic Hobby Boss 1:350 USS Chicago 688 Class
Sweet mate, looks like a good little build to keep you going :)

I couldn't advise you about the step sorry. I would try to sand it down, and then rough it up to match the rest of it... but I really am not experienced with that.. so don't listen to me lol.

Good luck

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 4 months ago #5 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Hobby Boss 1:350 USS Chicago 688 Class
Thanks Tiger, K2 and Powder. Twins??? That's twice the Poo!! :sick: :ohmy:

Powder wrote: How many props has your thing got. I can see 3x PE and 1x plastic

Yeah I'm guessing they include 2 PE screws, one being a spare, and you get to choose between the PE or the plastic part. I'll probably decide as the last thing I do before shes finished.

Kane

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 4 months ago #6 by grover
One of the other challenges I am looking at solving is how to achieve the effect of the tiles on the surface of the hull.
File Attachment:

Kane

More
3 years 4 months ago #7 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Hobby Boss 1:350 USS Chicago 688 Class
Off the top of my head how about Marker pen the tiles then spray a dark grey, apply a thin black water wash (Inks work well) and then apply blacks and greys to the center of the panels randomly?

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #8 by grover
Good idea thanks Gary.
Not much time for any modelling lately. I did start sanding the hull today
File Attachment:

The seems are quite noticeable so I am trying a mix of sanding and filler. Not knowing what kind would work the best I have done a test with some home made styrene filler and putty.
File Attachment:

Kane
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by grover.

Moderators: Andrew