Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:
Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: 300 gallon external tanks for A-4 Skyhawk 1/48?

300 gallon external tanks for A-4 Skyhawk 1/48? 2 years 9 months ago #1

• lucs
  • lucs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone!

this is my 1st post here. I'm writing because I am just getting back into scale modeling (I'm very excited!) and I recently purchased an A-4 Skyhawk for building. Specifically, it is the Italieri A-4E/F/G Skyhawk kit. The kit itself is great, but to my great disappointment I realized after I got it in the mail that this one has two 150 gallon external drop tanks, instead of the bigger 300-gallon drop tanks (which I would like for my build).

I know if may be a suuuuper long shot... BUT... I was wondering if anyone out there might have extra external 300 gallon drop tanks for a 1:48 A-4 Skyhawk? If so, I would be incredibly grateful to learn if you do, and also I'd be happy to offer the 150 gallon tanks that I have in exchange (if you wish)...

Any input and/or leads would be great! I saw that there are some vendors that do offer the tanks, but they seem rather expensive :(

Thanks everyone in advance!!!

Lucas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

300 gallon external tanks for A-4 Skyhawk 1/48? 2 years 9 months ago #2

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1165
Welcome to the site mate, and good luck with your search. Sorry I can't help you out though.

300 gallon external tanks for A-4 Skyhawk 1/48? 2 years 9 months ago #3

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 49
Hi Lucas,

Is the kit stock standard? Corrans build here www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/a-4...skyhawk-rnzaf-nz6206 shows the sprues and the kit ones are 300Gal, does that gel with what you see in the box.

The tanks bigger than the ones shown on the Italeri Sprues are the 400Gal which the Kiwi A-4 sometimes carried on the centreline, it had no tail fins, 2Mikes make a resin one.

Post a pic of the sprues from your phone if you like. If you hit the insert button after you link the pic it will appear thread, full size, no hosting site required.

The only 150Gal ones I am aware of is the 2Mikes resin ones.

Marcus
The following user(s) said Thank You: lucs

I started building models, then I was collecting more than I built. Now I'm more of an archivist.
Last Edit: by Marcus.Q1000859.

300 gallon external tanks for A-4 Skyhawk 1/48? 2 years 9 months ago #4

• Powder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • M
  • Thank you received: 373
According to this drawing L 225.81" x Ø26.5" (x 25.4 / 48) = L 119.5mm x Ø14.0mm. Are the kit parts close to this?

Souce: tailspintopics.blogspot.co.nz/2011_07_01_archive.html
Attachments:

Last Edit: by Powder.

300 gallon external tanks for A-4 Skyhawk 1/48? 2 years 9 months ago #5

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 194
ok thats weird.... i was wondering why i was writing a post regarding drop tanks???

Welcome to the site mate,... my name is also Lucas! not many of us about , great name.

i have got these from Attack Squadron in the past and they are excellent. they come with PE and can be configured many ways

www.hannants.co.uk/product/ASQ48038

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

300 gallon external tanks for A-4 Skyhawk 1/48? 2 years 9 months ago #6

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 426
Welcome to the site.
If you see this thread here , Craig (our local hasegawa guru) confirms that the main tanks in the hasegawa 1/48 kit are 300 gallon ones. If so, I have the kit built as an aggressor so won't be needing mine and you are welcome to them. Whereabouts are you?

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

300 gallon external tanks for A-4 Skyhawk 1/48? 2 years 9 months ago #7

• lucs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi everyone!

thank you so much for such a warm welcome & wonderful responses!

Good news:
- Marcus.Q1000859: yes, the tanks are stock
- Powder: thank you for the incredibly detailed illustration & dimensions. The great news is that my tanks are indeed 119.5mm x 14mm, which confirms that they are in fact the 300-gallon tanks. Yay!
- CyNaKyL: thank you so much for your incredibly kind offer! But no worries… it looks like I do have the right tanks after all =)
- Flying_Kiwi: you have a great name too! jaja

Thanks everyone so much again! I’m planning on building the A-4Q (Argentine Navy) version with the color scheme from the Falklands war (1982) which I believe used the 300 gallon tanks (from what I could gather from the info on the internet). Should be a fun & challenging build!

I’ll post some pictures once I get started =)

300 gallon external tanks for A-4 Skyhawk 1/48? 2 years 9 months ago #8

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1196
Awesome choice for a build Lucas and welcome. Looking forward to seeing the skyhawk in Argentinian colours.

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

300 gallon external tanks for A-4 Skyhawk 1/48? 2 years 9 months ago #9

• nuuumannn
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
Hey Lucas, good luck with the build; I'll be watching this. Just to whet your appetite, here are some photos you might be interested in that I took recently:

A-4Q 3-A-304 took part in the Falklands war and served with 3 Esquadrillia de Caza y Ataque and flew combat ops from Rio Grande on the first day of operations against the British task force in San Carlos Water on 21 May, although the aircraft was aboard the carrier 25 de Mayo standing by as an interceptor following the invasion on 2 April. It is preserved outside the Argentine navy headquarters in downtown Buenos Aires. Its colour scheme is a post-Malvinas scheme.

This is a US loaned A-4B configured as an Argentine A-4Q at the Museo Naval de la Nacion and wears the markings of 3-A-312, which was shot at by a Sea Harrier using cannon fire on 21 May; the pilot ejected and the aircraft, with a massive hole in its wing was shot down by friendly AA fire. That day, 21 May, the squadron lost 3 A-4s, but only one pilot, although the consolation prise was the successful attack against the frigate HMS Ardent, which sank after the bombs of two different A-4Qs exploded on its aft deck.

On my website I have a walkaround of both these aircraft and photos of other A-4s (Argentine and RNZAF) that might be of interest to you: warbirdswalkaround.wixsite.com/warbirds/douglas-a-4-skyhawk

Last Edit: by nuuumannn.

300 gallon external tanks for A-4 Skyhawk 1/48? 2 years 9 months ago #10

• lucs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey nuuumannn!

thanks for the post, links & pictures! They are so interesting. That's great that you got to see these A-4's up close. Thanks for documenting & sharing your web site. Looks like there are tons of great other planes too! =)

300 gallon external tanks for A-4 Skyhawk 1/48? 2 years 9 months ago #11

• Phil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 102
Is it possible to build an A-4Q from an A-4E kit? I thought the A-4Q was an export version of the B, which had a different nose AFAIK. It also had a different engine, although I'm not sure if that translated to any external differences.

300 gallon external tanks for A-4 Skyhawk 1/48? 2 years 9 months ago #12

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 426
A-4Q are remanufactured B models specifically for the Argies, so no, you can't build one from an E.

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....
  • Page:
Moderators: Andrew