So have been busy today with making this thing into an aircraft lol. Have started on the painting of the cockpit. The resin parts that come with the kit are awesome but, there is always a but, I noticed that the kit didn't come with ejection seats but luckily I have a few in my amongst my spares and found 2 nice resin ones that will fit the bill perfectly.
Though it is a nice looking kit, on checking it over I have found that the plastic is incredibly thick, like over a millimetre thick! So there is going to have to be a fair amount of sanding on all the trailing edges to get close to the correct representation. I have also decided to cut the rudder off so I can thin this down properly. Crossed fingers it works out ok lol
Notice the thickness on the intakes:
Slow is steady, steady is fast
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Dangermouse84. Reason: Some photos didn't attach
This is turning in to a goo challenge for me. The amount of thinning I am having to do is quite a bit but I am getting there. I have removed the rudder and thinned it out to a more believable thickness, next will be the wings and the wheel wells.
There have been quite a few gaps just from poor fit/moulding but I have filled all with styrene and filler and it is coming along quite nicely. Juts have to do a bit of sanding and re-scribing and it should be ready for paint in the next couple of days.
The rudder has been sorted and looks a tad more realistic (hopefully) as I have rounded off the inside edge and re modelled the hinges:
Well, I was hoping to have this thing finished by now but have run into a problem. Because of the poor fit of the canopy frame I ended up with some very unusual gaps. I did my best to fill and sand what I could but I wasn't able to get all. So, since painting a lot of overspray managed to sneak its way through a couple of the seams so I have now had to sand back and remove the main canopy to clean the overspray off. So expect to see the finished bird (with gap in canopy, unfortunately) within the next week or so.
Sorry this has been so long in the making but I have just been overwhelmed at work and unfortunately this little beasty has had to go by the way side for a bit. Had a little bit of time to do a few things to it over the last couple of days. Almost done..........
Well done DM, great looking "scooter" you have there, I like this a lot.
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
We don't mind waiting for top quality work like that DM.
Good stuff mate!
The finish line's in sight ...
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research