That's my permanent reminder not to be lazy when masking
Thanks for the comments and advice all.
I'm not nit picking, I'm generally asking, they look like flaps on a airliner but on the front of the wing...
Nah thats cool. The "comments and advice" part was for everyone who's helped me. The underside of the slats are painted red and I did paint the recess of the slats red too, but was told the Aggressor Skyhawks never had them painted red, so I painted them back to grey. Just not very well so some of the red is still showing through. I also oversprayed when I painted them red in the first place so there are some red marks on the tops of the wings. They aren't as obvious in the flesh as they are in pictures.
I started staining the tarmac using a concrete wash and some Citadel Nuln Oils. This is going to take more work to look right
The coat of Clear had dried earlier so I started putting some AK Gear grease wash in the wheel wells and landing gear. This pic has them clean
And then I started putting a dark dirt clay wash over everything. Unfortunately a couple of decals weren't sealed properly and came away. Thet are just small ones and I saw them in time to push them back, but cleaning the wash off around them is going to be tricky and I think im going to be quite nervous around all decals. I also used some PVA to glue the airbake doors and actuators in place
Finally I glued the chocks in position using PVA. I don't even know if the front wheels would get chocks but this isn't the most accurate build in history.
That's all for tonight, tomorrow I destroy a bunch of cotton buds taking the wash off and hopefully will be able to put a flat coat on it, put on the final lights and complete the canopy which I'm having open and that will be that.
On the home stretch now. Left the wash overnight. Not really keen on the finish of the clay wash. Yes it looks dirty but it didnt look right. I spent a bunch of time using a spirits based wash to pick out panel lines and details. One of the problems is that I never did any pre-shading. I was supposed to but got so excited about trying my first camo that I forgot. One of the downsides to being a noob, I don't have a process yet so forgetting steps is quite easy, and it's why I want to do another plane next.
There's so much nice detail on this kit, it's worth spending the time and I was able to slowly get the hang of washing with a spirits based wash. Think I will stick to that for the time being.
I did a bit more work on the base and also added some dust elements.
Now I'm just waiting for the wash to dry again and if Im happy I'll be throwing the final matt coat on, attaching the last bits and pieces like lights and she will be done. It helped hugely that Ive had this week off
OK, a bit of a meh day but finally got my ass into gear and did the matt coat using Alclads. Brilliant stuff. After it dired it was time to add the remaining clear parts, some of which I had pre-painted
These little lights took some sanding and it was bloody hard to hold them while doing it, but they then popped right in. The the decal I moved juts to the right of it. Whoops.
Thankfully the canopy came off easily and the cockpit didnt have any leaks from all the spraying
I dont know why but unmasking stuff is really rewarding. Like peeling the protective plastic off some new electronic device
And she's done. The Canopy still needs to be opened up properly. Need to use some superglue I think, PVA just wouldn't hold it. Pretty happy now it's done. Will add some build reflections later. Time to cook dinner.
Thanks Corran and Grant. Tossing up on a couple of kits. Will probably decide tonight but I'm leaning towards remaking the airfix 1:48 Bae Hawk which was the first model I tried to make but had to bin. Thinking it's a good way to see how much I've learned in the past 7-8 months.
Corran, the base was your idea, or at least you sparked the thought with the sandpaper idea so cheers for that.
Grant, I decided not to go with the Airfix Hawk just yet. Mudhen all the way.
James, beersies for sure
Thanks Hadley and Glenn.
Hadley, I don't think I have a wash process just yet. I started using a Citadel Nuln Oil on the landing gear and that worked really well. Then I did a clay based Dark Dirt wash, but I wasn't really happy with the result. Rather than take it all off I decided to try the Nuln Oil again, but I don't know if it was because I had some of the clay wash still on it or what but it took a real effort to take away the excess. Then I remembered a video I had seen about pin washes and ised that for a lot of the top to augment the clay wash and really bring out the small details. It worked really well and I'm probably just going to stick with that for my next build. I used AK Enamel washes and odorless turps.
Here's the video I remembered
Did a great job on this Kane, weathering is a little heavy for my taste, but I understand why you've done it that way. You really have come-on in leaps-and-bounds during the course of this build. One to be proud of.
Thats really a nice build Kane, well done m8...enjoyed watchin this come together. yeah that hawk needs a redo now
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.