Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: A-4 Skyhawk Challenge: Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk

A-4 Skyhawk Challenge: Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 10 months ago #1

• Craig Sargent
  • Craig Sargent's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 239
Hasegawa released their Limited Edition 1/32 OA-4M in August 1997. It is the old TA-4 plastic, with a new sprue of parts applicable to the OA-4M and 4 bags of white metal parts and photo-etch. Tires are rubber.

I was given this kit in a partially started state. Previous builder was building it a an RNZAF two-seater. All I have done to date is stripped the kit apart and removed old paint from the few sub-assemblies which had been completed.

Kit will be rescribed, with some resin seats added, and I'll create some custom decals to finish it as the MAG-32 jet pictured below (the kit decals are Hasegawa's bad attempt at lo-viz grey markings and are more brown and tan than grey). Thinking I may add a couple of Snake-eye bombs to the outboard pylons for an appropriate weapons fit.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

On The Bench
Tamiya 1/72 F-16C Barak conversion - Modern Combat GB
Hasegawa 1/72 F-16 ADF - Modern Combat GB
Hasegawa 1/48 F8U-2N (F-8D) Crusader conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 P-51D Mustang
Hasegawa 1/72 P-51D Mustang
Last Edit: by Craig Sargent.

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 10 months ago #2

• Mumbles
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Will watch this one with interest - my father and I built both the Hi-Grade Phantoms 20+ years ago and I remember them fondly. They were a great product for their time. Are they still around or just commanding drug-money prices secondhand on ebay?

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 10 months ago #3

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Everything is available for the right price, but helps to be Juan Estaban from Columbia with a nice little crop out back for anything in the Hasegawa range with a product code starting with CH. The Raspberry Ripple anniversary Phantom and Navy 75th Phantoms were reboxed recently, but with only a very small portion of the original enhancements in the box.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mumbles

On The Bench

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 10 months ago #4

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 428
I think it might have been the old monogram 1/48 kit (cause this one is way too new) but I remember building an OA-4M with my dad when I was very young, I distinctly remember the canopy and spine shape. I also remember it seeming quite big but that is probably because I was 7 or 8 at the time back in the late eighties. I thought it was the coolest looking jet out there at the time and still think it is the most aesthetically pleasing of all the skyhawks....

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 9 months ago #5

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Because this was one of Hasegawa's 'high tech' range, there is really not a lot needed, but these just landed so I can add a little extra detail as needed

A pair of Aires resin Escapac seats

Master Models NATO refuelling probe (love this item and use it on any relevant aircraft)

A pair of AMS Resin Mk.82 Snakeyes. The tailfin assembly detail is exquisite.
Attachments:

On The Bench

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 9 months ago #6

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 438
Yep, remember those Hi-Grade series very well, Craig. There was a 1:48 F-4S aswell I recall, and the only one I ever bought, the ASAT F-15A... Still got the missile somewhere.

I know that you know your subject matter, but I'd have thought a pair of Zuni cans would be more 'apt'... Like these by Fisher Models. TBH, I think that's the only store I ever saw on an OA-4M... could be wrong about that tho'.

Ian

Last Edit: by IAN.

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 9 months ago #7

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
From what I have seen/found

CH-1 F-15C Eagle
CH-2 F4J Phantom "Vandy 1" (Playboy)
CH-3 FW190 Dora (1/32)
CH-4 F4J Phantom "Blue Angels"
CH-5 Me262B-1a/U1 (1/32)
CH-6 OA-4M Skyhawk (1/32)
CH-8 British FG-1 Phantom "25th Anniversary"
CH-9 FGR.2 Phantom "Alcock & Brown"
CH-10 F4S Phantom "Diamond Jubilee"
CH-11 F-15A Eagle w/ASAT Missile
CH-39 F/A-18C Chippy Ho with wingfold

Lots of others but too much work to search them all out - there were cars and WWII Japanese aircraft and ships in the range too.

The OA-4M flew with lots of different stores and I have pics of Snakeye, Sidewinder, Mk.77 Napalm, towed target drogue, buddy store and Zuni on the aircraft (never seen the Shrike as depicted by Monogram - I think that was a throw back to the moulds produced by Monogram for the A-4E).

I chose the Snakeye for visual interest and to add some colour (thinking of painting them an inert blue body with grey tail fins).
www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Marines/Do...73a5c152f44863644583
www.fencecheck.com/forums/download/file....c951e0e4e6e02f563144

On The Bench

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #8

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Here are the bits in the box as disassembled. Added a new set of main wing parts from a Hasegawa A-4E as the kit ones couldn't be saved.

Brought the kit to the Coromandel to get a start on holiday. Stay tuned.
Attachments:

On The Bench

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #9

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
This is turning into a bigger project than I thought. Have made a lot of progress over the last week and a bit, but no photos as yet.

Most of the time has been spent rescribing fuselage halves and I still have the wings to do also. I have fitted the speedbakes and filled all of the sink marks on them, and cleaned up the intake join. The intakes were fitted by the previous owner, but I was not able to remove them. I'll make a pair of intake blanks as I wont be able to do intake trunking now.

Just ordered the Aires wheel well and gun bay set as the kit wheel wells are very poor in detail.

Also managed to get hold of the NATOPS for the OA-4M which lists the differences between the TA-4F, from which the jets were remanufactured, and the OA-4M. Surprisingly Hasegawa got their photoetch instrument panels about 99% correct. The same can't be said for the side consoles.

I've started rebuilding the cockpits using the kit parts as a basis and adding some scratchbuilt side consoles using the NATOPS as a reference. The kit seat pans were also moulded to the cockpit floor, so these had to be carefully removed and some card used to fill the gap. The cockpits as provided sat too far back and were too deep into the cockpit. Redoing the side consoles and rear bilkheads has helped to get the cockpits in the right place.

Using the Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4F as a reference has helped to locate some of the details and correct some of the panel lines which were a bit iffy on the 1/32 kit.

Have redone the openings for the slat tracks as the openings as moulded on the kit wings are not correct in shape or position. I'm going to remove the slat recesses and reposition to remove the step in the wing, as per 1/48 builds.

Hope to get some pics soon.

On The Bench

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #10

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Got the man cave tidied and the photo area set up again so will endeavour to get some pics up. First day back in the office and got a little quiet (never a good thing) which allowed me time to do some research (also not always a good thing).

As this is likely to be the only 1/32 Skyhawk I build, I have added some more goodies to the mix. To replace the white metal barrels, I have ordered these machined gems from Profimodeller (wont be using the fuel probe as have already fitted the Master Models one).

To replace the soft detail on the kit tanks, I've also ordered a set of the 300 gallon tanks from Fisher Model and Pattern

The cockpits are taking a lot more work than initially thought. Lots of modification needed to correct what is in the kit.
Attachments:

On The Bench

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #11

• Phil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 102
The blast deflectors on those 20mm cannon don't even need painting. You could maybe give them a light dusting with a matt varnish of some kind, that should make them spot on. (I'm sitting here looking at the real think on the desk in front of me).

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #12

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
My thinking too Phil. Nothing looks more like metal than metal (same with the aluminium probe tip)

On The Bench

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #13

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Nice wee collection of goodies there.
Metal dose look good as you say, you cant beat it.
Looking forward to the level of detail in this one :)

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #14

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok. Finally got a chance to get the camera out and get some progress pics.

Lots happening here, though it doesn't look like much. Top of the fin and leading edge of the fin removed (Hasegawa's instructions are wrong meaning the leading edge has been removed too far back and I'll need to add some plastic here to correct once the hump is installed). Hot dog ECM fairing fitted to the top of the tail. Both fuselage halves are about 80% rescribed and rivets added where necessary.

Speed brakes have been glued in, sink marks filled and sanded flush and the outlines rescribed. I still need to add the JATO bottle attachment points.

Rear white metal ECM antennae have been cleaned up and glued to the exhaust fairing. The slot on the side of the fuselage was filled and a vent redrilled.

I've also removed the rudder to clean up the two halves and get a better fit of the parts.

Previous owner glued the intakes on too well, so I have cleaned up the joins and left them as is. Means I can't easily do full intakes so will probably opt for making some intake blanks (they'll add some colour to the jet anyway).

Removed the canopy fairing behind the cockpit to accept the new hump. The forward cockpit is fitted to test the new shape and position. As mentioned the kit cockpit is too deep and incorrectly shaped. I've reshaped the rear kit bulkhead, added new bases for the side consoles, removed the seat base which was moulded to the bottom of the tub and added new seat guide rails from some Evergreen I-beam cut down to a [ cross section. Also added are some 15 thou canopy sills and the small scallops on the rear of the instrument console coaming.

The front of the rear console coaming has also had the start of the 3 mm forward extension added to correct the positioning of the rear bulkhead.

The nose has been cut off each fuselage half and the OA-4M nose halves glued in place.

Rear cockpit showing the mods. Rudder pedals were moved aft and the front of the tub shortened by 5mm to fit behind the front cockpit.The pencil lines on the side consoles are where the instrument panel will sit.

Port wing showing where spoiler and flap assembly have been removed from the rear of the wing, so I can build some dropped flaps later. This wing has had the slat well raised to remove the step and the slat track openings repositioned and resized to be more prototypical. The old openings can be just seen as darker outlines. The shiny lines are where I've rescribed the panel lines and used Tamiya extra-thin cement to clean them out.
Attachments:

On The Bench

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #15

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Comparison of the port wing with the starboard wing showing old slat recess on the starboard wing and the corrected one on the port. Starboard wing has the new spoiler glued in place, cut from some 10 thou styrene sheet, using the removed parts as a template.

Another view of the exhaust fairing showing the white metal ECM antennae fitted.

The new hump assembled and cleaned up. Because Hasegawa have you remove the fin leading edge too far back, they also make the hump too long. I have removed the necessary amount and will need to add that much back to the fin leading edge. I've also opened up the vent on the spine so it doesn't just end.

The kit photo-etched instrument panels match the OA-4M pretty well, but will need some switches and knobs added to give them a little more detail.
Attachments:

On The Bench

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #16

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1197
Awesome amount of work there Craig. I'm kinda ashamed I wont be able to live up to some of the standards all you other guys are setting.

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #17

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Mate, don't expect you to try and meet any standards but your own. It's about having some fun and getting some Scooters built. Be thankful you don't suffer from AMS yet. I'd probably get so much more finished...

On The Bench

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #18

• Glenn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 543
Nice work Craig :)
You are doing a great job on getting it oh so rite :cheer:

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #19

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1197

Craig Sargent wrote: Mate, don't expect you to try and meet any standards but your own. It's about having some fun and getting some Scooters built. Be thankful you don't suffer from AMS yet. I'd probably get so much more finished...

No worries, I'm looking forward to it and know I'm going to learn a lot. Your AMS is actually teaching me heaps too and I've been thinking about ways to correct the step in the slat cutout. Its all fun, and its all learning. ;)

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #20

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter

grover wrote: I'm kinda ashamed I wont be able to live up to some of the standards all you other guys are setting.

Use the work of others as inspiration, not as standards. As you yourself have said you've only just come back to modelling for about 6 months whereas people like Craig, G1 and others both here and online can have decades of experience. If you hold yourself to the standards of others you will always be disappointed. I've been back into modelling for about 8 years or so and I still have so much to learn. This is one of those great hobbies where you can always improve, no matter how long you have been at it.

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #21

• Fritz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 240
Looking excellent Craig :cheer: I can see this is going to be another masterpiece. All these scooter builds make me wish I can bust mine out,

Keep the pics coming, love to see more.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M
Last Edit: by Fritz.

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #22

• Dangermouse84
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 80
As always, looking good Craig:)

Slow is steady, steady is fast

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #23

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cockpit progress. Left one is front and right one rear. Started roughing out the OA-4M side consoles based on the NATOPS diagrams. Lot to do yet. Mound rudder pedals sit on is not correct, but won't really be seen, so will leave alone. The sticks are at the same angle, but the angle of the photo makes them look different.

Rudder being cleaned up and rescribed. The area at the top was removed from the bottom of the Hot Dog antenna part and glued to the rudder. Added a small sliver of card at the back to make it meet the rear of the existing rudder.

Exhaust mod time. The kit exhaust is way too shallow, so found some K&S brass tube a close diameter, and cut it to the correct length. Thinned the rear end to scale for the exhaust and started cleaning up the fuselage exhaust part. Unfortunately, this should be round, but is moulded oval. Will need modifying and so will the rear fuselage to match. I'll find a rear engine face from the spares that will work for the opposite end.

The two hatches on the starboard side of the nose are in the wrong place. I have roughed out the proper location in pencil, which shows where they should be compared to the ones moulded in the kit. I've also filled the intake under the refuelling probe with CA and sanded smooth.
Attachments:

On The Bench

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #24

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The Fisher 300 gallon tanks arrived yesterday. At first glance they looked like a nice addition with nice raised weld seams and a nicely detailed fuel cap.

After closer inspection, these may prove problematic to use and I'm disappointed in the tanks now. There are a number of holes moulded around the tail of the tank. Unfortunately, those moulded on the left side of the cone are too far to the rear and do not line up with the ones on the right side of the tank, which are in the correct position. Additionally, the slots that run nose to tail are not aligned and the forward slot veers off to the left at the front.

If that is not bad enough, the slots do not have the same spacing top to bottom with those on the right being closer together than those on the left. Not just out by a little, this difference is immediately noticeable. Undecided on whether to fix or go back to using the kit drop tanks, which don't have this issue. Very disappointed now and can't recommend this set, especially at the price being asked.
Attachments:

On The Bench

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #25

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Looking very good so far Craig.
Pity about the fisher tanks, you'd think QC would have sorted that before they started selling them. Anything mentioned on the web about them being wrong? I suppose Fisher don't care that much as everyone probably goes "it's wrong but I've already paid for them so oh well" in which case you've already forked over money for them anyway.

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 7 months ago #26

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thinking it might be time to fire up my SolidWorks 3D and get both the tailcone for the tank drawn and printed and also do the BSU-86 Snakeye fins at the same time.

On The Bench

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 6 months ago #27

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Not a lot to show. Been spending most of my spare time rescribing and riveting the 50 odd oval inspection panels on the upper wings. Will post some pics once a bit further down the track.

On the plus side, I used the Master Models blackening agent (produced by Uschi van der Rosten) on the length of tubing I had cut for the exhaust in the picture above, and it looks very much like heat coloured metal.

On The Bench

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 6 months ago #28

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Can't wait to see a pic of the exhaust...

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 6 months ago #29

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Aires wheel wells turned up today so have commenced fitting those.

Turns out Hasegawa's lower wing has a few problem areas which mean that the wheel wells designed for the Trumpeter kit don't fit as they should. I found the issues and made some modifications to the lower wing and the wheel wells are a very good fit now. To get the nose wheel well to fit, I have had to modify the forward cockpit again by removing a section from the centre front, to fit over the hump on the top of the nose gear well. All of the gear wells are now waiting for some compressor time to get some paint on them. They are a huge improvement over the kit parts.

I would have gotten some update pics, but Brett dropped around today to borrow my camera to take some teaser pics of the next WingNut Wings kit he has just finished building, so have to wait for my camera to come back before I update this thread.

Off to Sydney for work for a week on Sunday so will be a little while before I get any updates. Still lots of scribing and riveting to go,

On The Bench

Skyhawk Challenge - Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk 4 years 5 months ago #30

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Have been making some progress, but a lot of work at present is correction and rescribing so a little glacial in what can actually be seen.

First the guns. The Profimodeller turned brass barrels finally arrived (my own fault they took longer than expected). Anyway, this photo tells a story. L to R, kit guns in injected styrene; the white metal "Hi=Grade" parts provided by Hasegawa; the Profimodeller brass parts.

They look even better after a bath in the Master Models blackening agent. I'll paint the blast diffusers in silver and the rear in camo and these will look stunning on the finished model.

Now where all the work has been happening, the lower wing. There is so much work here, but most of it is unseen. I have fitted the Aires sponson parts, and reshaped the wells and gun slots using white sheet styrene. The white card is to correct shape and positioning issues, and allow the Aires gear wells and gun bay to fit. I've also corrected the position of the slat track openings and added the aileron actuating rod cutouts on the wing trailing edges. I'm about 60% done on scribing panel lines and adding rivets, but that is a little hard to see at this stage.

Attachments:

On The Bench
  • Page:
Moderators: Andrew