Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB

Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB 1 week 4 days ago #1

• F1xena
  • F1xena's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
  • Thank you received: 100
Hi all,
This is a “shelf of doom” resurrection project. It’s the 1/24 Italeri Ferrari 250SWB that dates back to the late 80s....I think I purchased mine in the early 90s. At that time Italeri put out a GTO, 275GTB and this. All are actually pretty good kits, with opening bonnets and full engine/suspension detail. The Borrani wire wheels are nice moulded and look almost as good as the multi sheet photo etch ones available from the after market. The bodies are all quite nicely done and most importantly the look”right”.
I started this kit near to 20 years ago, but got as far as chassis assembly, then stalled. I was keen on replicating the Rob Walker car driven by Stirling Moss in the early 60s....a very famous vehicle. Unfortunately the kit is left hand drive, and the original was right. It also required painting dark blue with white stripe on the nose and white race roundels. At the time, it all got a bit beyond me, as I had only just returned to the hobby, and had very limited skills and equipment.
When looking for my next project, I dragged out the box and had a look. Time to take the plunge and try and finish it! The engine and front suspension had been assembled and painted and I’d given most of the chassis and engine a coat of hardware store spray-can semi gloss black.
Although I had prepped the body for paint, it was a long way from what I would now consider acceptable. A bit of time with some sanding sticks and sponges soon improved things, and I decided to tackle the body colour.
The original is a very dark blue....almost black. I’ve had good experiences with Mr Color clears, so I decided to use GX2 Ueno Black with a top coat of GX103 Deep Blue Clear Gloss, all over an undercoat of Tamiya Fine White Primer. I sanded the Black before the clear, but probably not quite enough. There is still a bit of texture visible, even after the sanded and polished clear blue coat. The white areas were masked using Tamiya Tape For Curves, and the circles with Tamiya tape cut using a DSPIAE circle cutter. Another first was the use of a Molotow Chrome pen for the bright work. The kit had plated parts for many of the chrome bits, but the bumpers especially had some horrible sink marks that meant stripping, filling and then re-painting. I ended up using Bare Metal Foil for the rear bumper, but the Molotow pen for the rest. I was impressed with the result, although I found out the finish is rather delicate and doesn’t like polish, wax or fingerprints. Fortunately it is easy enough to touch up.
Using a chapter of a Ferrari book featuring a restored version of the car, the interior was painted Matt blue, with a body coloured dashboard and black door cards. This book also provided the outline of the nose stripes, although having done a reasonably thorough internet search, it appears there are several different versions. Seeing as I didn’t convert the car to RH drive, I’m calling it a “tribute” as opposed to a “replica”. Enthusiasts will be horrified, but I’m also thinking of using the Ferrari shields on the front quarter panels!
Anyway, here are some photos both before and after mating the chassis and body. All that is left is to add the chrome trim and lights....hopefully tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB 1 week 4 days ago #2

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 426
Beautiful build of a stunning car. Looks a whole lot better than mine, Tanja !

www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/46-...i-250-swb-berlinetta

Ian.

Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB 1 week 4 days ago #3

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Ian,
Hopefully the chrome do-dads will lift it a bit. Just realised I have the Gunze Hi-Tech kit of this car too, and it’s probably RHD so would have made a better Moss car.
Bugger!
Your Esci build looks great, although it does show how good the Italeri wheels are!
Cheers
Tania

Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB 1 week 4 days ago #4

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1609
That’s turned out very nicely.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB 1 week 3 days ago #5

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 235
The Italeri kit scrubs up pretty nicely. Looking good Tania.

Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB 1 week 2 days ago #6

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1163
Nice work Tania. What are Italeri car kits like? I want to build one of their trucks one day. I'll find one that I drive in Euro Truck Sim.

Kane
On the Bench - 1/48 Revell F-15E

Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB 1 week 2 days ago #7

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The only ones I’ve built have been old....but they are actually ok. More like Revell Germany than any of the Japanese companies though. Because the cars have pretty much a single piece body, you don’t have to worry too much about fit and join lines! The tyres are a bit “clunky” but ok, and the engineering perhaps a bit over complicated. Having said that, the moulded one piece wire wheels are perhaps the best around. I had a few sink marks in visible places on some of the chrome plated parts, which was a shame.
I don’t know anything about their truck kits, but their Ferrari’s from the 90s are pretty good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grover

Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB 1 week 2 days ago #8

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1163
Thx Tania :)

Kane
On the Bench - 1/48 Revell F-15E

Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB 1 week 2 days ago #9

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Last little bits of bright work added. Pretty much completed now.

And with the inspiration....note this car has the bumpers removed, but internet research shows it both with and without.

Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB 1 week 1 day ago #10

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 426
Still my favourite of the early Ferrari's, all because I had the Matchbox one when I was very VERY young !!.

Beautifully done, Tanja. One of your very best.

Ian.

Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB 1 week 1 day ago #11

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
That turned out every bit as nice as the photos of the real thing

I think SoD builds may be the way to clear some space, and thinking 2019 will mostly be completing some older projects for me as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: F1xena

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 F8U-2N (F-8D Crusader conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 P-51D Mustang

Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB 1 week 1 day ago #12

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
My SoD is surprisingly bare now, with the final kit sitting on my bench awaiting my choice of colour (the black TS originally used has some issues....entirely user error) Note to self, fisheyes mean poor surface prep, and they don’t go away if you keep spraying more paint over them!

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary