• Page:

TOPIC: Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 4 months 6 days ago #1

• Phil
  • Phil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 98
I was wondering if anyone has a source of MRP paints, either in NZ, or from a supplier that will ship to NZ?

I'm after RAL 3024 , MRP-193, Luminous red.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 4 months 6 days ago #2

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 418
I think Nos or someone got some direct from the supplier or some crowd in the Czech republic I think? Otherwise you are pretty much out of luck locally or most places. Due to what it is most places won't ship paints overseas or by air anymore.

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....
Last Edit: by CyNaKyL.

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 4 months 6 days ago #3

• Admoto
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
I brought some about a year ago from BNA Melbourne. They just airmailed it to me. Not long after I ordered more but they would not sent it. Solvent based paint is rated Dangerous Goods nearly everywhere now so has become a problem to ship / Post. Water based paint is not an issue and can still be posted or couriered. I opened an account with MRP themselves a couple of years ago which is very straight forward. You could open an account with them and try buying it from their online shop and see what happens. Here is there online shop www.mrpaint.sk/
I am interested to try AK Real Colours Lacquer which will be the same problem. Though I am sure in time these AK paints will be available in NZ and will just have to pay a surcharge to have them sent with a Dangerous Goods ticket on them.

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 4 months 5 days ago #4

• Nosferatu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 476

CyNaKyL wrote: I think Nos or someone got some direct from the supplier or some crowd in the Czech republic I think? Otherwise you are pretty much out of luck locally or most places. Due to what it is most places won't ship paints overseas or by air anymore.

Yup...I got some off ebay from a seller called cro-hobby...Didnt have any issues with them..obviously had to wait a while for them to arrive...I have also dealt direct with MR.Paint as Admoto said but that was a while ago and I think I had issues when I went back to do it again... When you get to check out it says "No Shipping Options Available" Shame because they are such good paints!!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 4 months 5 days ago #5

• Phil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
BNA wont ship MRP.

I haven't contacted them directly, but when trying to check out on the mrpaint website I got the error about no shipping available to my address.

On the subject of AK Real Color, the AK real color are the same solvent base as tamiya acrylics. If a seller can ship tamiya acrylics they can ship Real Color.

I have found that I have the Gunze Mr Color lacquer equivalent, C171,so I'm not completely stuck if I can't get the MRP RAL colour.

Last Edit: by Phil.

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 4 months 5 days ago #6

• Nosferatu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I have just had official word from Mr.Paint and they have removed NZ and some other countries from their shipping options due to shipping regulations.

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 4 months 2 days ago #7

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 228
I was going to grab some at the US Nats in a week or so, but I think they are likely to get removed from my baggage, as I had happen recently with some Tamiya Extra Thin. Not a cost I really want to risk. PITA, because I really want some as well. I have been looking at surface post, but seems even that won't fly (no pun intended).

On The Bench
Eduard 1/48 Spitfire IXe
TwoBobs 1/48 T-2C Buckeye

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 4 months 1 day ago #8

• Nosferatu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Try Cro-hobby on ebay.. he seemed to have no issues sending to nz last time..but that was prolly 8-9 months ago tho..

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 4 months 12 hours ago #9

• Henry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
There's another hobby shop in Australia that sells AK real color but it only in the box set and not the separate bottles.

Thanks Henry

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 4 months 12 hours ago #10

• Phil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Any hints as to which one?

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 4 months 11 hours ago #11

• Henry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Phil wrote: Any hints as to which one?

Sorry Phil the wedsite is called www.thecombatcompany.com

Thanks Henry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 4 months 9 hours ago #12

• Phil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Henry.

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 1 month 6 days ago #13

• Jasmckee
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I currently work at akl airport, and a lot of what is sent on planes is so much worse than a few tins of hobby paint, I cannot understand the ban on them if they are declared and packaged correctly. they require no more special handling than any other package, if you think about it, your cell phone is a lot more dangerous then hobby paints if it spontaneously combusts which seems to be happing more often. Just my opinion, but I do know that I can get zero paints from spotmodel in Spain but the shipping is expensive.

In the ongoing battle between aluminium tubes going hundreds of miles per hour and the earth going zero, the earth is yet to loose

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 1 month 6 days ago #14

• Phil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The issue is packaging and completing the paper work. You need to be a qualified and current IATA DG shipper. It's just too much hassle for sellers, and it can't just be put in the post, especially if it ends up as cargo aircraft only.

Last Edit: by Phil.

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 1 month 6 days ago #15

• Jasmckee
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Having shipped dgs through auspost in Australia when we had our store there is wasn’t to hard, but I do understand the paperwork nightmare that it is, I have transported dgs for years as a driver. I still think it could be easier than it is. Oh well, just have to find the paint where you can

In the ongoing battle between aluminium tubes going hundreds of miles per hour and the earth going zero, the earth is yet to loose

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 1 month 3 days ago #16

• oran.mor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Just came across this thread. Glad to have done so before I made an order, hah!

Okay so, I'm gathering the problem is mostly a paperwork obstacle, with respects to the dangerous goods status of the solvents involved. Does anyone know whether the onus to complete whatever the paperwork/inevitable fees are, is on the importer or the exporter? Because, if the importer, surely the obstacles wouldn't be insurmountable if the importer had suitable licensing in dealing with hazardous chemicals?

I query as I'm wishing to make a fairly hefty order, and might be able to twist a fellow creative who works in laboratories, and in lampworking/glassblowing, into helping me out.

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 1 month 2 days ago #17

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
In my opinion (knowledgeable about DGs but no expert), the issue lies with the shipper. The goods have to correctly packaged, labelled and declared, and whoever accepts the goods for transport also has to have an appropriate licence/approval to accept dangerous goods. This is a hassle if you are a retailer, especially for regular or small shipments, which is probably why MRP find it easier not to bother.
Paint can obviously be shipped internationally, but it will probably be in relatively large quantities to a distributor in the destination country, and via either surface or a dedicated freight aircraft.
There are issues carrying any liquids, aerosols or gels in hand luggage, and the signs and questions when checking-in luggage specifically ask if you have paint....and it will not be allowed. There are allowances for such things as hairspray and the likes of nail polish, but I have even seen aerosol fire extinguishers removed from checked luggage.
Perhaps if there was sufficient demand, whoever imports other paint (Mr Color, Tamiya, Humbrol etc) could be approached to add the MRP line, but you can expect to pay a premium.
Wonder how Mighty Ape get their paint? Dave??

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 1 month 2 days ago #18

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 880
As far as I know, most of the paint and models kits come from a single importer, namely Trevor Bringans Ltd. I don't know and can't say if they "control" the pricing within NZ but imagine they certainly set the bar that all retailers have to stick to.
I understand they recently "won" back the import rights to distribute Trumpeter kits, for paint I know they have Tamiya sewn up and I think they have the rights to AK and Mig but not 100% on that.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 1 month 2 days ago #19

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
Correct Gary. With regard to pricing (at the risk of thread creep) I bought the reissued Revell 1/72 Hawker Hunter at Modelair recently and the retail price was over $70. When I got home I looked on Trade Me and could get the same kit out of the UK, with free postage for $30. I don’t think it is Modelair doing the gouging, and I don’t begrudge them their markup, but someone is being silly with prices and all evidence points to Bringans.

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 1 month 1 day ago #20

• oran.mor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hmm, interesting.

Well, i'm going to give MRP, and customs, a bell and see what may be possible.

Having difficulty finding some comparable colours outside of the MRP range. Somewhat determined to at least try :p

Otherwise, perhaps it is worth approaching a local retailer to see if they'd import it.

Last Edit: by oran.mor.

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 1 month 21 hours ago #21

• Viperbuilder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 414

F1xena wrote: Correct Gary. With regard to pricing (at the risk of thread creep) I bought the reissued Revell 1/72 Hawker Hunter at Modelair recently and the retail price was over $70. When I got home I looked on Trade Me and could get the same kit out of the UK, with free postage for $30. I don’t think it is Modelair doing the gouging, and I don’t begrudge them their markup, but someone is being silly with prices and all evidence points to Bringans.

Mighty Ape sell the Hunter for $52 and get the kit from the same distributor
www.mightyape.co.nz/product/revell-172-b...e-model-kit/28214559

Very hard to go past the delivered price of $30 for sure.

On the bench:
Revell 1-72 Hunter FGA.9

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 1 month 18 hours ago #22

• Moeggo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 69
There is another thread somewhere stating that I was looking at importing MRP or maybe FB? I work in Logistics and I priced everything up using the discounts I receive through my agents that I use, and I worked it out that it wouldn't be viable cost wise. I don't have my note pad at hand, but to cover my costs it was looking to be around $18-20 a bottle that I would have to sell if for. Looking on eBay and BNA that is already at least $5 more per bottle. Knowing how modellers shop, most will go to the cheapest source available, even if they have to wait a couple of weeks for it.

Mr Paint (MRP) Where to get in NZ 1 month 17 hours ago #23

• Henry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
BNA model wont ship MRP paints to NZ the only one s they will ship are AK interactive or Ammo of Mig.

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary