Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 2 months ago #1 by Wally
Yep, it's me again! This is another commission for Rob, who recently commissioned me to build 1/32 F4U-1A Corsair NZ5227 'C'. I'm using the excellent Hasegawa 1/32nd scale P-40M Warhawk 'South Pacific' for this one.

which will depict NZ3072 (formerly 'Wairarapa Wildcat') as she appears in photos in late November 1943. That is, after a second cowling repair, with bars added to the roundels and a fuselage code letter ('U' we think) and fairly roughed up. This is going to be a weathering field-day!!!! Yipeee!

I'll use a combination of the kit decals and Ventura's 1/32 RNZAF P-40N decals (which I think will need the white bars trimming). This photo dramatically shows the difference in roundel blues, partly because my camera makes the kitset decals appear darker and the Ventura decals appear lighter than they actually are.

Rob, whose father flew this aircraft at around this time, has also provided some excellent cockpit detail photos. I am attempting to do them justice with some scratch built detail although Hasegawa's cockpit is surprizingly accurate and detailed OOB -

I've attempted to replicate the lever on the right side of the IP and added some extra boxes and wires here and there -

I'm going slow and careful on this one because, although it is like the 1/48 Hasegawa version in many ways, there are some significant differences too, notably affecting whether to complete "that darned fuselage join" before or after the halves go together. I suspect before but am looking at it real careful like.

Bottom right of this picture is my first ever attempt at RB Productions Fabric Seatbelts (USAAF/USN Beige). Even with my new reading glasses (I did go to SpecSavers!) I cannot get the mid-belt adjuster to assemble as per instructions. They are a bit untidy (but should do the job) and I am a bit surprized by the lack of stitching detail (which I perceive in RB's competitor's belts). I'll probably do some painting work on them so this pic may not be representative of the final result. I'm especially looking forward to hanging the should harness out the cockpit as it is so often shown in photos.

Until my next progress report.
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #2 by Dads Army
Replied by Dads Army on topic RNZAF KITTYHAWK Mk III NZ3072 - 1/32 Hasegawa
Lead the way Wally ;-)
I'm resisting the urge to start mine so far.
But, if we go Pacific with the next GB.....................maybe?
Any more progress yet? Will be watching like a hawk

"Rough as Guts Production's"

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 2 months ago #3 by Wally
Thanks DA. I'm going slow and careful, along the way adjusting to the extra detail visible through my new reading glasses.
I've managed most of the interior painting and cockpit assembly. Here's the cockpit components after painting and prior to fitting the seat belts -

and the quite nice Hasegawa IP with added colour as per my reference photos. I've put Vectra over the instruments in an attempt to replicate glass but the camera doesn't show it so well -

To my surprize the fabric seat belts were easier to fit than to assemble ... but I'll get accustomed to the latter ....

And the whole thing assembled rather nicely. I did a bit of pencil outlining but basically I am through with 'smoking' cockpits. I find it very difficult (or next to impossible) to do by brush and I never see any evidence of it in photos anyhow -

Cheers,
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

More
7 years 2 months ago #4 by Fritz
That cockpits looking nice Wally. Really like the seat belts. Look forward to seeing the final product!

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

More
7 years 2 months ago #5 by Dads Army
Wow!!

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 1 month ago #6 by Wally
Progress report - although there is nothing particularly attractive about "progress" at this stage of a Hasegawa P-40. After lengthy consideration and test fitting I decided to do "that darned fuselage join" prior to assembling the fuselage halves and I think it was the right decision. One has the best chance of aligning panel lines and edges and still bringing together the two fuselage halves before the cement on the "join" sets, allowing for fine tuning adjustments ... if you see what I mean ...? One may have to sacrifice a better length-wise fuselage join for a worse fuselage halves join, as I have done here with a small gap in a section of the underneath to fill - (it's kind of impossible to explain this in words ... and each modeller will find their own way anyhow I guess)

As with my experience of Hase's 1/48 P-40s, the "join" is almost but not quite perfect enough not to need filler - so one must fill and therefore re-scribe panel lines - plus it is impossible to get perfect alignment of every single fuselage panel line. I know I harp on about this a lot but in this respect these kitsets are a great disappointment to me. My lone voice means nothing to Hasegawa of course but perhaps the possible arrival of a competitor will? (I'll say no more at present but watch this space)
Next I fitted the cockpit and the oil/glycol intakes and (nicely detailed) coolers into the fuselage halves and joined the halves. This major join leaves a good deal to be desired as well. Plenty of sanding, filling, sanding again and re-scribing to do here (at least in my case).

Don't get me wrong, this is a very worthwhile build because of Hasegawa's luscious and accurate detail throughout. It is just considerably more work than I expected from the illustrious manufacturer.

Subsequent to these photos I have assembled the rudder, horizontal stabilizers and main wing assembly so as to do all filling & sanding in one go.
More next time when I expect a lot of this grunt work (the part I least enjoy) will be done.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

More
7 years 1 month ago #7 by eyepaule
Replied by eyepaule on topic RNZAF KITTYHAWK Mk III NZ3072 - 1/32 Hasegawa
Still, looking good though Wally. I have been tempted to cross over and do this kit myself..

more time more time more time..

Paul

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #8 by Wally
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to your build DA and Paul, I hope you do build one. Be advised it is quite a challenge in its own way (or I find it so) though I have no doubt you'll do it well if those bikes and cars are anything to go by.
Some major home maintenance issues have kept me too busy to enter the den for a while but I am back onto this one now.
And what do I find ...? Well, to be blunt, more challenges .... so I'm going to continue my rather rigorous critique of Hasegawa's 1/32 P-40M

With the the fuselage join filled and sanded and fuselage halves joined and likewise tidied up, one is next presented with the challenge of the quarter-light window area. In the 1/48 Hasegawa version it is a straightforward full-fuselage insert into which the quarter-light windows fit, but one can see from this photo of my wing assembly test fit - I am test fitting everything SO CAREFULLY on this build - that on Hase's 1/32nd version the insert behind the cockpit (which defines P-40M or N) is undersize, onto which clear plastic parts fit which are both window and fuselage panel, as the detail from the instructions shows -

Indeed, I had to wrack my brains for some time before deciding I could even fit these clear parts at this stage. What about filling and sanding them? What about painting them? They will surely have to be primed? I decided to go ahead but go no further than initial filling until my Eduard Masks arrived from Hannants. (New shipment Eduard masks at about twice the price of previously). This occurred today so progress should ramp up from here.

In both cases (or scales, 1/48 & 1/32) one is left with join lines behind and below the insert which are not natural panel lines and therefore need to be filled and sanded ... BUT ... (in my opinion) in the 1/32 scale version this is even more difficult because of the proximity of 1) Clear window and 2) Finely recessed rivet detail along the underneath of the clear insert join. I have decided that in my case this lower 'line' represents an either/or choice - fill it and loose the rivet detail or don't fill it and live with the line (where there isn't a panel line). A tough choice to have to make. I guess some modeller's would fill and sand and then re-scribe the rivet holes? And because I don't want to have the wings attached before I do this filling and sanding the wing join will present a separate filling and sanding task. I already know this from test fitting.
It actually becomes a little like building a short-run kitset. It reminds me of my 1/72nd MPM Hudson build.
I really appreciate having a P-40 kitset of this detail and [general] accuracy to construct but all these little niggles about Hasegawa's 1/48 & 1/32 P-40s detract from its overall "quality" and lead me to conclude they employed a designer on this one whose other occupation is shooting himself in the foot.
I don't mind a challenge (and have no choice anyhow) but some of the challenges in this kitset are kind of dumb, kind of self-defeating.
For these several or many reasons, if I were officially reviewing the kitset I would say "recommended" rather than "highly recommended".
Don't get me wrong, it's gonna be good because I'm gonna make it good. I'm really looking forward to getting to the painting stage which I hope will be within the next week.
Yours Sincerely
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Wally. Reason: Correct some wrong things I wrote.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 1 month ago #9 by Wally
I have edited my previous post to correct what I got wrong about the instructions. My apologies to anyone I offended and to Hasegawa. The instructions are quite correct regarding the fitting of the P-40M insert behind the cockpit and the clear parts comprising quarter-light windows & surrounding fuselage.
Last night I got the sanding done for this area along with a little re-scribing to carry fuselage panel lines through into it -

and this morning fitted the main wings -

Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Attachments:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 1 month ago #10 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic RNZAF KITTYHAWK Mk III NZ3072 - 1/32 Hasegawa
Magic stuff so far Wally!! B)

Watching this with considerable interest ;)

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
7 years 1 month ago #11 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic RNZAF KITTYHAWK Mk III NZ3072 - 1/32 Hasegawa
I'm drooling like a fool...awesome job on the cockpit...can't wait for more on this beautiful aircraft.

D2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
7 years 1 month ago #12 by Tiger
What Kiwimav said, great cockpit, the rest will be as good i'm sure.
Tiger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiwimav

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 1 month ago #13 by Kiwimav
it's been a while...more please!! :whistle:

D2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #14 by Wally
Orh, Cheers D2. Gosh, I thought it was about the most uninteresting build I had ever posted up. Nice to hear your enthusiasm.
Still progressing slowly. The canopy windscreen is also a clear part incorporating a considerable expanse of fuselage. Thankfully it is bounded on all sides by natural panel lines but one still has to deal with its 'transparency' by comparison to the injected styrene -

I chose to do so using my self-mixed Tamiya acrylic cockpit green. [Amazing that in all these years Tamiya has not produced a ready mixed Interior Green!?]
I did this because I'm painting the interior colour on the outside and will be covering it with acrylic paint. I'm not sure whether the Aeromaster acrylic camo colours will adhere to Humbrol enamel. At the same time I painted the frames of the 2 canopy options, closed and open -

I should have left it at that but instead painted over the interior colour with Vallejo Grey primer so as to have a similar grey all over. This didn't really work because relief showed up in the primer and had to be sanded back. There's no photos of this frustrating stage. Then I applied my AM self-mixed Neutral Grey to the undersides and details so far not fitted -

and the first (of many) Olive Drabs on the uppers, starting with (self-mixed) Very Faded OD -

So thusfar here's how the quarter-light window insert looks -

By no means perfect but it could be worse. There's a lot more paint to go on yet - since NZ3072 was very heavily weathered and partially repainted by then - even described by Geoff Fisken himself as a hotch-potch of colours in a recent WoNZ forum thread - plus there's a white stripe decal to partially cover that area too. On the plus side, nice details like the dust cover in the tailwheel well -

and I assembled the undercarriage struts and added brake lines -

A long way to go yet but one way to get me motivated is to put a brush in my hand and a pottle of that wonderful AeroMaster paint in front of me!
Another great motivator is the degree of fading, weathering, damage repair and repainting done on the aircraft by this time, Nov '43.
I can more-or-less "go to town"! Yay!
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Wally. Reason: corrections and add ons

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #15 by eyepaule
Coming along nicely Wally :cheer:
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by eyepaule.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 1 month ago #16 by Kiwimav
oh yeah...she's looking good Wally...thanks for the update

d2

Update In Stash:

More
7 years 1 month ago #17 by Dads Army
Looking real good Wally!!

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #18 by Wally
Cheers guys.
Well, in the ensuing days I have been at the desk whenever possible "going to town" on this aircraft as promised. First some background. Recent discussions on Wings Over NZ have determined it is quite possible NZ3072 was delivered in Olive Drab with US Med Green or Green 42 "blotches". I am going with this interpretation. Here is some blotching and fading in the early stages of painting using AeroMaster OD & US Green 42 -

And this is my interpretation of the events that followed. (Please correct or forgive any historical inaccuracies). In March 1943 on her ferry flight to Guadalcanal the aircraft collided with another while landing at Tontouta, where the cowling was repaired, the Black Cat painted on and she was given the name "Wairarapa Wildcat". In July 1943 F/O Geoff Fisken's 11 kills were painted on and the Cat given a white chalk outline for an RNZAF photo shoot. Sometime in early-mid August 1943 all the P-40s had a single, large, probably NZ Sky Grey code letter painted on the fuselage behind the roundel and the entire tailplane area painted white. The former necessitated relocating the 8" black serial number rearward [more-or-less] under the tailplane and this was accomplished by repainting that area and painting out the original serial number in fresh Olive Drab. I cite as my evidence this close up of NZ3072 in Nov '43 -

The close up is too grainy. This is the photo from Air-to-Air -

I can clearly see the distinction between the shadow of the horizontal stabilizer and darker paint. Then on 31 August 1943 NZ3072 had another landing or taxiing accident and the cowling was damaged again. It was either replaced or repaired and the Black Cat and "Wairarapa Wildcat" name disappeared and the code number '19' was applied more centrally on the cowling. At this time or a little later white bars were added to the roundels on wings and fuselage irrespective of the large code letter which got partially obscured. All this time, of course, the original OD paint was fading in the tropical sun, rain and coral dust. Even back in August the paintwork was quite weathered, as evidenced by this photo of F/O Polson climbing aboard -

The only thing I can't adequately explain to myself is how the '19' on the cowling became so faded or partially obscured by November '43? Perhaps the cowling got painted yet again?
Of most interest in the Polson photo and even much earlier ones is the position and extension of the NZ3072's white stripes -

It is absolutely evident to me that the front fuselage stripe is forward of the prominent panel line ahead of the cockpit. Every kitset and decal manufacturer that I know of has this incorrectly placed. This 1/32 Hasegawa kitset has the stripe immediately behind that panel line and not extending down onto the wing. Not 'joined up' with the wing stripe in other words. And yet it clearly is joined up.
Painting is 'interpretive' of course and I have liberally interpreted the fading, weathering and I've highlighted the fuselage tank fuel staining -

So far this has involved 6 shades (or fades) of AM Olive Drab - some 'browned' a little with AM French Tan - 3 fades of US Green 42 and 3 shades of Insignia White, the latter being unlikely combinations of Tamiya Flat White, Mister Kit Insignia White and AM FS366222 Light Grey.

Most of the fading and weathering is in place (Yes, crazy huh? I do this before decals) and my first batch of paint chips but more painting will follow and panel lines of course.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Wally. Reason: clarity

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #19 by eyepaule
Wally, you have some guts with the level you go to to make your planes look very used. I for one like it;)

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #20 by Kiwimav
me too...she's looking good wally

d2

Update In Stash:

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #21 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic RNZAF KITTYHAWK Mk III NZ3072 - 1/32 Hasegawa
Looking good alright Wally.
On the subject of tamiya not doing an interior green, XF71 Interior Green (IJN) is so close to RAF interior green as to be almost indistinguishable in difference. Or if you want a proper Interior Green then Gunze Aqueous do a US interior green, number H58. It is very good for US aircraft while the XF71 is good for RAF aircraft.

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #22 by Tiger
Looking pretty fine there Wally
Tiger

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #23 by Wally
Thanks for the feedback guys. More to follow shortly.
Gaz, I'll remember that about XF71, I think I have a half jar of it somewhere. I've used the Gunze H58 interior green and while I really like the colour I can't stand having to do two coats and also needing to matt coat it because it is semi-gloss, so I do all my cockpit/interior greens now using Humbrol enamel (generally 226 I think?) which I self-tint and fade using Humbrol yellow & white. It's great for me as a brush painter. One coat plus highlighting and it's a really flat finish which I like heaps.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #24 by Wally
She certainly is a grungy bird! I love it.
A good session last night and this morning got some more painting, advance weathering and the panel lines done, the latter achieved with a combination of mostly 0.5 tip ink pen and various lead pencils -

I sometimes slip using these instruments and while the ink must always be wiped off - except for an occasional oil stain like on the prop hub - sometimes the pencil 'smudge' looks just like wear-and-tear so I leave it, as with the lower starboard tailplane. The underside is 3 shades of self-mixed AM Neutral Grey with paint chipping especially off the screw heads where panels were frequently removed, as with the machine gun cover -

Now comes a really big challenge, applying the decals. Having decided not to attempt to paint the white stripes I have the kitset decals plus Ventura's 3276 "Gloria Lyons" etc decal set. But the bars on the Ventura roundels are too large and they are almost certain to suffer from colour density issues, meaning the Hasegawa white stripes will show through in colour if not in relief. I personally think Ventura's roundel colour is ideal in this case, representing highly oxidized RNZAF roundels. Go back to my primary reference picture and check out the underwing roundel colour compared to the Neutral Grey ...? They are about the same hue or shade. The roundel must have been quite lightened ...? To attain darker roundels (desired by the client) I will need to apply the kitset roundels on top of the Ventura roundels with cut down white bars, or this is where my thinking is at at present. Assuming this works all I need to do then is find a suitable blue dot to cover the tiny red dot in the centre of the Hasegawa fuselage roundel. Oh dear .... so complicated ... so many places for potential disaster ....
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Wally. Reason: add a picture

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #25 by Dads Army
Wally, that is just incredible. Everything - the shades of paint, weathering, inside the landing gear bays, spinner, incredibly realistic.
It's a style that I just don't see around the forums that I frequent - unique and VERY effective B)
Looking forward to seeing the decals on !!

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #26 by Wally
Thanks DA. I appreciate your incredibly positive feedback alot. (I guess that means you've bought heaps of AeroMaster paints on your shopping trip? As long as they are all enamels you are not in any danger).
And so to last night's coffee fueled decal application marathon. 5pm - 1.30am more-or-less. The outcome ...? Like Elizabeth Montgomery used to say as Samantha in 'Bewitched', "Wweeeeellllll ..." Everything I expected to happen did happen and then some. For instance, Hasegawa's white stripes proved to be somewhat brittle and possibly the single most challenging element. Two of them fractured in about 3 places and I pieced them together as well as I could -

Then came more "nerves of steel" process in messing with delicate Ventura decals to reduce the size of the white bars -

At top of the page in the book is my basic mathematical calculation, "If at 1/48 scale small white bars are 10L x 8W and large white bars are 16L x 10W, and at 1/32 scale large white bars are 24L x 15W, then at 1/32 scale small white bars must be how long x how wide? 15L x 12.5W" (That won't actually work out as it is from memory). Incidentally, the code letter 'U' is from Classic Airframes Lockheed Hudson Mk III/IV/V etc PBO-1 kitset. Quite a sacrifice huh? ("Sacrilege" some might say?)

And here is my rudimentary way of punching out the landing light hole in one underside roundel. It's an old leather hole punch -

The end result is "Phew! I got all the decals on ... BUT, as expected, the white density issues show up fairly dramatically as does some relief from the white stripes under the roundels" -

I'll refer back to Rob to see if he wants me to apply the Hasegawa roundels over the top of the Ventura (which, of course, look lighter than they are in these photos. Their blue is, in fact, almost identical to the roundel blue on the Kittyhawk III box art).

Meantime I've done some work on the tyres after having told Rob I would buy Ultracast Diamond Tread covered wheels and then realizing I was looking at 1/48 scale ones on their website. There are no 1/32 Kittyhawk ones I can find. My answer is to draw on a Block Tread pattern using my trusty Pigment Liner pens (after attempting & failing at Diamond Tread pattern) -

I believe the white stripes and bars are redeemable using shades of white paint on top of the next gloss coat. I did this in a smaller way fairly successfully in my recent 1/48 NZ3072 commission. All these white areas must be 'weathered' somehow anyway and hopefully in doing so the overlay density will be obscured. The final Dullcote spray finish should take care of the relief issues, as it did with my AeroMaster decals on RNZAF PBY-5 Catalina, which, until I applied it, I feared would 'stand out' forever and ruin the whole venture.
Cheers,
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Wally. Reason: clarity

More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #27 by IAN
Some excellent work here, Wally - sorry I didn't catch-on-to-it sooner !!

Ian
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by IAN.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #28 by Kiwimav
Very nice indeed...yeah, shame about the stripes showing through, but ye ol hawk looks great. The weathering is pdg

D2

Update In Stash:

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #29 by Tiger
Looking good Wally. Love your colouring, all by brush to. MAGIC :-)
Tread pattern looks great too :-)
Tiger

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #30 by Wally
Thanks guys. Tiger, shortly after posting the photos including my 'painted on' tread pattern I went to Ultracast website only to discover that a Block Tread pattern is offset from one row to the next, kinda like bricks. Mine are all in line. Not a big deal I guess since I think offsetting them would be beyond my patience to draw.
So, my process with this build continued last night and continues to be challenging. I went ahead and applied the darker Hasegawa kitset roundels over the Ventura ones. The starboard fuselage roundel partially split while drying it - I might have been a bit over vigorous - and, after enlarging the ready punched landing light hole in the port lower wing roundel it split completely across and had to be applied in two parts -

Perhaps I should have given up at this stage - each roundel threatened to split as it curled up upon entering the water - but I had already applied 2 other roundels successfully and, well, basically I just don't give up. I have to admit that all things considered the darker blue roundels do look better than Ventura's lighter ones. [And I figure lightening dark roundels is maybe easier than darkening light roundels?] They also fairly much fixed the white density issue for the centre white ring of each, a hard one to touch up by brush -

- although the stripes still show through the white bars rather dramatically. So this morning NZ3072 got a gloss coat of KM Klear all over and I began the laborious task of painting over the white bars. Further research confirmed these were added to the RNZAF Kitty's in November '43 so they would be fresher and probably quite distinguished from the stripes. That more-or-less halved the workload. Still it took 7 coats of various dilutions of self-mixed Insignia White to get the density coverage. The next two photos are BEFORE and AFTER shots of the whole aircraft -

MORE MAGIC HUH!? And freehand brush painted too! I am pretty happy with this. Dullcote should even out any brush strokes. Here's some AFTER close ups -

The challenge now becomes how to weather and fade the roundels so they don't look too new and fresh. (I also have to disguise the two split roundels, I think with a combination of chips, scratches and damage repair/repaints). I have begun with the underwing roundels using very thin white acrylic paint, white and pale blue oil pastels and fingertip + Tamiya Flat Aluminium. I can achieve some grainy dust weathering and a smudgy look -

- but so far haven't managed the kind of lighter blue fading I really want and especially want on the upper wing and upper part of the fuselage roundels.
URGENT APPEAL - Does anyone have a sure fire method of fading national insignia (without an airbrush)?
I am really into this build at the moment so I guess we shall see what tonight's session brings ...?
Cheers,
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Wally. Reason: add 1 pic

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary