Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 6 months ago #1 by Wally
This is a commission build and my first ever 'Wairarapa Wildcat' despite having built numerous RNZAF P-40M/N Kittyhawks using both Hasegawa and Italeri kitsets, though nowadays I'll only use [the much more accurate] Hasegawa for the M version. This one is a 'classic' NZ3072 as depicted on Hasegawa's box lid -

although the kitset I am using is their P-40M 'South Pacific' boxing -

So this one may be finished using Italeri white stripes and artwork and Ventura decals roundels for a slightly more faded look.
There's not a great deal to see yet. The first part of a Hasegawa P-40 build (by my method) is dominated by dealing with 1) That darned fuselage join & 2) sub-assembly of everything possible before painting and assembly proper -

There's an interesting and lengthy discussion going on on Wings Over NZ about RNZAF Kittyhawk camouflage which may influence the painting scheme. The odds seem reasonable that NZ3072 and other P-40M/Ns had US Medium Green 'blotches' applied to the upper wings, stabilizers and perhaps areas of the upper fuselage to break up the OD/Neutral Grey camo. There is certainly 'something' evident in some photos which can even look like a disrupted camo pattern sometimes.
www.rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=...&thread=17774&page=3

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
7 years 6 months ago #2 by CyNaKyL
Another RNZAF good 'un to watch from Super Wally! :P

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
7 years 6 months ago #3 by eyepaule
I enjoyed your Corsair Wally, looking forward to watching your build.

Paul

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #4 by Wally
I'm going to have another bleat (or bitch) about this kitset in the forlorn hope that P-40 modellers all around the world will rise up and demand that Hasegawa make new fuselage molds. The kit has a lovely cockpit. About the right level of detail for 1/48 I reckon -

I used a green Eduard seatbelt and painted it Tamiya enamel Buff once I'd fitted it. Actually, I reckon Eduard could just stop making the green ones. Most everyone wants and uses Tan or Beige ... another recommendation to a manufacturer ... or make sets which are all Tan or all Green ...?
Anyhow, the cockpit looks even better once its installed in the fuselage -

It's that danged fuselage join that bugs the hell out of me! It concerns me that a manufacturer of Hasegawa's quality could let this get through to the market.
I have this expectation of Hasegawa that I won't have to fill, leastwise not substantially, and certainly not re-scribe ... which I don't have the tools for and I don't want to have them ... I don't want to own them ... I don't want to have to BUY them ... This re-scribing is done with a sharp pin and is adequate but perhaps only just ... the other option was not to fill or rescribe and to have a tiny gap or 'stop' in the panel lines. It's a worry I reckon.

So, as you may have guessed, that darned fuselage join and the amount of filler I find myself using each time I make a Hasegawa P-40 really gets to me. Having just seen (and put up for sale on TradeMe) an Eduard P-40M Profipack with beautiful crispy panel lines on a complete one-piece fuselage I am more convinced than ever that Hasegawa needs to bite the bullet and fix this up. That's my beef for today ...
Once the fuselage is together and the wings etc installed this Kitty takes on its really accurate overall shape. At least with this Hasegawa kitset you don't really need any aftermarket stuff other than belts ... the wheelwheels & doors, undercarriage, exhaust manifolds, panel lines, rivets et al are all really excellent -

This one is going to get my trademark 'dinged' auxiliary fuel tank - as seen in many WW2 photos - though this isn't a good pic of it. It's really severely dinged this one.

Given the amount of time I have for modelling at present I am rather pleased with how this Wairarapa Wildcat is progressing.
Cheers,
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Wally. Reason: bit more

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #5 by Wally
Following the lengthy discussions on Wings Over NZ about RNZAF KIttyhawk camouflage I got really enthused about trying out my "considered opinions" on this build, with the client's permission, and have done quite alot of overtime on it, some late nights and wee small hours.
The camouflage is based on careful study of numerous photographs leading to several assumptions - 1] The basic scheme was Olive Drab 41 over Neutral Grey with US Green 42 'blotches'. The only reference I have for these blotches is Eaglestrike's 'SkyTrains at War' with NZ3503 -

- This cites a colour called 'Jungle Green 46' which I cannot find reference to, as indeed I cannot find Google references to US Medium Green even though I have a Testors acrylic color of the same name. It is quite a bright green and since it will 'lift' the Aeromaster paint I decided to use AeroMaster US Green 42.
2] Parts of the aircraft had been subsequently repainted or repaired/replaced, notably the lower cowlings, port aileron and the middle tailplane (but not the rudder). 3] For a brief period in early - mid - late August 1943 NZ3072 looked something like this -

The fuselage roundel (and in my "opinion" all the roundels) have been repainted with enlarged blue centres. (NZ3072's rudder ID stripe remained intact)
So, off I go, keeping in mind my great mottos - "I am as much an artist as a modeller" and "art is exaggeration in the direction of truth" -

I have painted the aircraft as being quite faded after 4 - 5 months in the tropics. I did my usual panel lines and some scrapes in advance but more weathering will follow the decal application because of things like oil leaks and exhaust stains crossing white stripes and indeed - based on photos - staining even the fuselage roundels and serial numbers. I applied KM Klear -

Stay tuned! My next post - DECALING NZ3072 - contains valuable information for RNZAF WW2 aviation modellers (if there are any of you out there?) about the use of Ventura decals darker RNZAF roundels on their new PV-1 Ventura decal sheet to depict other aircraft, at very least P-40 Kittyhawk and TBF-1c Avenger.

Cheers,
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Wally. Reason: clarity and anticipation

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #6 by Wally
NEWSFLASH - Ventura Decals new PV-1 Venturas sheet also provides darker blue roundels for P-40 Kittyhawk and TBF-1 Avenger (if you are not a stickler for absolutely microscopic minutae detail accuracy)
Doubly good news! I just now looked up Ventura Publications online shop to get the reference number correct for Malcolm Laird's new PV-1 Venturas decal sheet and all the decals seem to have reduced in price! I dunno what's going on exactly but I am very tempted to stock up.
www.venturapublications.com/store/index....h=83&products_id=269 V4882 RNZAF PV-1 Venturas, 4 options.
Debate rages on Wings Over NZ about the correct colour of WW2 RNZAF roundels, with most experts agreeing that both kitset and decal manufacturers general depict the colour as too light & bright, sometimes ridiculously so. Malcolm has responded to this feedback by darkening the roundel colour in his newly reprinted PV-1 Venturas sheet in 1/72 & 1/48. The sheet is also expanded to provide 4 options - NZ4512 Slippery Sam in NZ and in the Pacific Islands, NZ4509 as delivered and NZ4624, OP-F of No 11 SU in NZ.
Not wanting to post another WW2 RNZAF build on WoNZ with lighter coloured roundels - even Malcolm's current Mid-Blue P-40 colour - and hence engender yet another long debate about the correct colour (this one really has been done to death), on a hunch I checked my newly acquired PV-1 decals for comparable roundels and .... whoohooo! The 'NZ based' Slippery Sam upper wing and fuselage roundels are nearly perfect -

The photo should be self explanatory. [NB - My camera lightens both shades of blue]. Right & Above is P-40Ns Pacific & NZ Based, Left and below is PV-1 Venturas. The PV-1 fuselage roundel is .5mm or less larger and of course comes with an enlarged blue centre. The blue-white-blue ratio is not absolutely identical but it is very close. (Near enough for me to go ahead and apply the decals without specifically checking with the client about the blue centres. If he wants 1" red dots I will make him another Wairarapa Wildcat)
After application of Italeri's rather difficult but (I think) accurate white stripes plus artwork and these darker roundels the aircraft looks like this -

It's true, you do have to use the supplementary 'Home Based' roundels from 2 x PV-1 Venturas sheets to achieve this match.
What I also discovered incidentally is that the NZ4624 upper wing roundels are a match for those on RNZAF TBF-1c Avengers and I think the Slippery Sam 'home based' lower wing roundels will do Avenger undersides (TBC). The uppers would also do any Ventura like NZ4540(43) which did not have blue borders added to the bars.
So these new and, everyone seems to agree, more accurate, darker PV-1 roundels will work on at least two other RNZAF aircraft types - P-40K/M/N and TBF-1 Avenger. An extra bonus is that Ventura decal's 'white density' seems to have improved.
Furthermore, the remaining PV-1 lower wing roundels are a perfect size match for the Italeri NZ3072 kit decals, though the blue-white-blue ratio is different.

So you could conceivably build another early Pacific or later Home Based RNZAF P-40 from the same 2 x PV-1 sheets if you accept Italeri's sizing ....? (Anyone confused?)
As per the above 2 pictures, Italeri is one of those manufacturers who make ridiculously light & bright RNZAF roundels.
So that is my Easter contribution to the advancement of WW2 RNZAF aviation model making ...
This build is also my first time using a Montex canopy mask. Very easy to apply and seems to give a good seal -

The jury is out on the final result of course until they come off again.
Cheers,
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Wally. Reason: include Montex masks

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 5 months ago #7 by Wally
I'd rate Montex masks 'good' and worth using but I had a little bit of trouble with edges on very small areas and some lines on curved surfaces. This could be due to my relative inexperience with masks. I'd prefer to use Eduard yellow masks if I can get them which is not always the case. The end result is certainly adequate and as good or better than my old Tamiya tape method (which took so much longer) - these are pretty close up photos -

And a comparison of the Ventura P-40 roundel colour with the (adapted) PV-1 roundel colour after decaling and matt coating - (my camera lightens them both somewhat) -

And so to exhaust stains, which from photos appear quite severe on NZ3072, minimal oil stains, panel lines through the decals etc etc and attachment of bits and pieces. and she's finished. I'm pleased with the fairly harshly weathered result, depicted a little later in the a/c's operational life than usual. I hope my client likes it or I'll be building him another one! Here's a couple of finished pics, more to follow shortly on the 75th Anniversary BUILD GALLERY.

Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

More
7 years 5 months ago #8 by grunzter
Nice work wally, love the Kiwi subjects you do, and especially the reference to exact planes that served...
Grant

More
7 years 5 months ago #9 by eyepaule
Looking good Wally. loving the subjects and that weathered look :cheer:

Paul

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary