• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #1 by Wally
PART 1.
"Rome wasn't built in a day" was one of my old Dad's favourite sayings when I was an impatient kid. Now I'm an impatient adult ...
But the title of this post is a rouge. I am having a day off everything else and I'm going to have a big rave on here and, with the client's permission, using my commission build of NZ2518 'Plonky' as the medium to review my first year (more-or-less) of model making with KM. This build has actually taken 3.5 weeks. In other words (tehehee), a really long build by my standards. First, some edited highlights of the early stages -

I've used the commonly accepted Bronze Green/Interior Green delineation reiterated in Ventura decals RNZAF Avenger set, the source of the decals for this.
All the interior colours are Humbrol enamels. Their Bronze Green is particularly dark it seems to me, so I have faded it in quite a few places.

It's such a lovely kitset. With all that stuff inside it still fits together amazingly well. I used only the tiniest smidgen of filler just forward of the cockpit and the ventral gun position underneath. Thanks to KM Klear decaling was also a breeze. If you had told me a year ago I'd be able to move Ventura decals around more-or-less at will (to finely position them) I'd have called you a "looney". "You only get one shot with them" I'd have said. . BIG TICK. The use of KM Klear is a major positive shift in my modelling since joining KM. Thanks Gary. That lovely opaque liquid has given me much more confidence in using what I consider the best decals on earth.

The '3 tone scheme' camoflage is brush painted using Color of Eagles USN Sea Blue & Intermediate Blue (various shadings) over Tamiya (self-mixed) Insignia White backshaded with Aeromaster FS36222 Lt Gray. Smoke remains a bugbear for me, this is done with thinned Aeromaster acrylics. I have ordered some Vallejo smoke. Tamiya smoke won't adhere to CoE or AM acrylic paints. (Upon Editing - I don't know how part of this got to be italicized. Is that because I wrote the words BIG TICK?)
.... to be continued ..... PART 2 will follow shortly. More revelations from a Kiwi modeller's first year with Kiwimodeller.
Cheers,
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Wally. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 9 months ago #2 by Wally
PART 2
The reason I'm doing this is because at the beginning of this year when I joined KM my best build to date was probably TBF-1c Avenger NZ2525 'Maori'. This latest build of NZ2518 'Plonky' therefore gives me a great point of reference to measure my own progress by. That progress is, I have to say, substantial and much of it is due to suggestions, tips and advice from fellow KM members on here. Things like thinning smoke colours. Through interaction on KM I have resolved my use of enamels for interior colours and resolved not to worry too much about exactly which interior green. Much of my progress is due to the encouragement I have received on here, especially the positive feedback about my brush painting. And now paint masks have made a huge difference. So in a funny sort of way, 'Plonky' here is a bit of a milestone.

The client is also very pleased. More pictures in the 75th Anniversary build gallery.

Other highlights of my year have been - (absolutely in order of importance to me) -
1) Revell's release of 1/48 PV-1 Ventura - the other contender for my best build ever being NZ4509 partially repainted.
2) Building Revell's 1/48 PBY-5 Catalina as NZ4010 XX-L
3) Building Academy's 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair as NZ5315 (and finally achieving an extremely faded 3 tone scheme)
4) Building Accurate Miniatures B-25D Mitchell (still the only one I know of with open cowl flaps!)
There's probably a whole lot more I can't recall right now.
So whether this is the right place to do so or not, I want to thank you guys for creating and sustaining kiwimodeller and being here as a community. I feel really quite connected to this forum. I feel I have made some good friends on here ... in an online sort of way.
Merry Christmas one and all!
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago #3 by Gary
Hey mate, stop or or you'll make me blush :)
You're welcome mate, it's been a great two years for us to, we've grown and grown and will hopefully continue to grow (our monthly bandwith usage is currently 24GB which may not sound a lot but it is. It's sustainable at the moment but in a year or so I might have to upgrade again.
For me personally it's been a huge success, I've met some fantastic people in real life purely through this site (also met G2 :P :) )
I'm glad that this site has been as good for you as it has for me and hopefully everyone else, maybe I should put out my yearly thanks to everyone post, but the trouble with that is it feels like I'm fishing for compliments, where as your post is unprompted and geniuine (the cheque is in the post) and appreciated.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 9 months ago #4 by Wally
Cheers mate (but direct credit would have sufficed, I hate waiting for cheques to clear)
I forgot to mention perhaps the single most significant factor regularly gleaned from KM and relating to my 'improvement' as a modeller this year - INSPIRATION pure and simple! The inspiring work of other model makers. Sometimes it's so good I describe it as "aspirational".

I enjoy doing research

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary