• RossMack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #1 by RossMack
A-4k & TA-4K duo-build, in SEA was created by RossMack
Esci scribing:

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to build two Scooters.

Kevin's latest commission is a break from the PTO. And the Tempest V is on hold.
What does he offer, when I finished the Tam 48th F4U-1? “I have a Skyhawk. Two, in fact – the AZ Models and the AMT. Can you do it in SEA '70s markings, please?”
Hmmm, says I. The AMT I discovered is their re-boxing of the ESCI A4-E/F, and I already have two. Can't find the AZ Models A4-H/K in any search. Righty-ho, I'll have the latter.

Picked it up some 12 days ago and, lo! 'tis the TA-4H/K, of Classic Airframes heritage. On a side note he mentioned if there's any interest, from anyone, in a FreMs MB-339 kit he was sent in a double-up.
Uuuhh, I'd like it, please!! I'd gladly take it in lieu of the commission. Thank yew very much. Been on the lookout for a '339 since I don't know when . . . 20 yrs? (Besides, it'd cost me about the commission fee to get one shipped here, anyhoos.)
Now I have the sah-weet li'l FreMs oeuvre. Funny how things work out. Not a lot of effort to convert to the 339CB, either.
But, oooohhh, mama, it fills one of the big gaps in my RNZAF 'want-it'.

Meanwhile, whilst I waited for my patients to finish their appointments (s'why I was up near his manor and able to drop in the F4U) I massaged open the boxes containing styrene Nirvana. The 339 is gorgeous, despite it being the only game. But the TA-4 held breath-catching joy in the form of RESIN.
Wheel bays, engine ends, inflight fuel probe, wheels, Escapac, etc.

Over a week ago I cracked the first sprue gates, sawed off pour stubs, cleaned up u/c and shot some primer and white. I'll use one of my ESCI A4s, since the kit needs some serious surface and scribing prep, and I'd already finished on one, with some left to do on the second. (I'll straight swap it for Kevin's one.)
Also, since I had the white out, I prepped all u/c and doors for both my A4s and the TA-4. Gets things cracking for the future dual build of the 75 Sqn Kahu A4 and 14 Sqn Macchi.

The TA-4H/K box and contents:

Resin clean-up:

Pouring white for the intakes:

The wheels on the Scooter go round 'n round (plus the A1-H ones, if you were wondering about the huge-large things):

Minor mod to the port wing, TA-4, it needs a slot sawed out for the upper to sit snug. :

The Esci 'pits are bereft of detail. The TA-4 has raised details but vague and I hate painting switches. While I organise PE for both it's out with the refs and pics and painting what's available elsewhere.

Going to enjoy these since I've had the Superscale 1:48th sheet of hi-viz RNZAF for some time.

Regards

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
There are two types of aircraft: fighters and targets

On the bench:
Esci A-1H, I.D. Models 1/72 Andover vac, Hasegawa 1/72 F-15D
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by RossMack.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
More
7 years 9 months ago #2 by RossMack
Replied by RossMack on topic A-4k & TA-4K duo-build, in SEA
Hello again, chaps.
Pardon the delay, lots accomplished but of a less-than-gripping nature. This time I'll use the 'Reply', rather than 'Quick reply', which doesn't allow me links.

Meanwhile, I'm still in my White Period while I finish the u/c and other danglies. If you're wondering at the multitude I have a cunning pan. While I have the commission builds on the table I might as finish up the 2nd A-4's parts, for when I eventually cave to the Distraction Fairy and build a RNZAF A4 for my shelf.

Eduard's lovely Zoom sets goad me into sorting out the tubs and seats. Leaving the kit(s) as-is poses a minor fit issue, where the PE consoles are wider than the kit's. Got out the chisels (large round, small round, flat) and dug out nearly 2mm from the AZModel TA-4 walls. It has molded-in 'padding'.
The Esci A-4 walls are much thinner and only need half off. As noted the tubs also need some card stock for arbitrary gaps.

Some thinning on the wing uppers gives more space to the resin bays. I added card stock to fill up the resulting gaps to the lower wings. Never was a fan of resin inserts, they add unavoidable thickness and lose scale space.

Pushing on with the tubs and seats, the Esci's were too thick, again.
Filed and sanded the side pieces by 2/3, added spacers to the centres and scratched new cushions.
Black is a new custom mix, using black diluted with Dark Earth.
White or light grey lends a 'blue' cast, and a brown/black (mixing red) can still be too dark.

My last drive up-country I snagged a two-fer deal on rattle can enamels at a respected and well-known auto store – one black one white for $9.
Definitely far more amenable .55c/ml. Instead of a wee 15 ml of the Humbrol tin for the same price as a 250ml rattle can. I used 85% of a big Humbrol tin of white in 9 mths, before it went gluggy.

Base-coated relevant areas on tubs and seats with Humbrol Aluminium, sealed with Klear, then I'll top-coat. It may be academic, in the recesses of a tight space, but I'll try scratching up the top coat to simulate chipping and wear.
Altogether exciting with Ed's pretty painted etch. Touched up the belts with a darker green before I begin grappling with CA glue, tiny buckles and the Carpet Monster.

Regards

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

On the bench:

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
More
7 years 5 months ago #3 by RossMack
It was an almost Herculean effort to sit oneself at bench this week, after months of sporadic, diffident tinkering.
But, thanx in main to a blustery, wet evening, I hunkered down to the last PE on the third seat, and a not unpleasant result ensued.
Finished off the frame with dry-brushed white, that looks more severe than it really is.

Natch, one or two yellow parts rebelled and went AWOL. Not to despair, I have extras.

As a prelim I will post first the Other Distraction that has occupied my days. 2D CAD.

It took some work to correlate a bunch of stuff, from various sources, but I reckon I've sorted out the basics.
These are some of the drawing I've been tweaking, for the 32nd Beaufighter. I needed a common basis on which to establish a definite datum, that I can use to determine dimensions for the PE internals.
A lot of it was drawing up the initial X-sectional frames, cutting hard-copy drafts to dry-fit, modifying x-/y-axes to the kit dimensions and re-drawing. I was able to determine floor level from X-sections then heights on the individual formers to establish a level floor for the cabin/cockpit.

Also a major bonus is to find the correct length and dihedral of tailplanes, although this may very well be academic for now. I'd prefer the Beau If and early early t/planes in the kit.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Now that's all outta the way I'm better focussed on the A-4s.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

On the bench:

More
7 years 5 months ago #4 by grunzter
Replied by grunzter on topic A-4k & TA-4K duo-build, in SEA
Nice builds!
I have a few to do one day, and would like a 1/48 TA-4K, so will be good to watch progess on these :)
Great so far.

More
7 years 5 months ago #5 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic A-4k & TA-4K duo-build, in SEA
I like the Under Carrage inserts, nice detail, seats are shit hot too.
Cheers

Tiger

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #6 by RossMack
Yay. Things are going together.

TA-4

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

A-4

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

regards

On the bench:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by RossMack.

More
7 years 5 months ago #7 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic A-4k & TA-4K duo-build, in SEA
Great build to watch. Top class work as always.
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
More
7 years 5 months ago #8 by RossMack
Some good progress, some setbacks.
Since a concerted return to the bench things have moved steadily along.

The plumbing on the wheel bays went more or less smoothly last weekend. Though the second bay gave me conniptions when the CA stopped working and playing well with others.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

This morning I carried on with the internal frames of the canopies.
Put in three industrious evenings cutting strip and punching discs from tape, going blind thru the mag lamp and having lumbar spasms from hunching over the bench.
Rather than have Mum suffer from the fumes of an Ab session I brought out the hairy sticks, contrary to the tried-n-true. Simply wanted to see some paint on.

Checked under some tape this a.m. for some unwanted news.

Fark . . .

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Right. Into the oven cleaner, then an ammonia bath. Start all over again.

regards

On the bench:

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
More
6 years 6 months ago #9 by RossMack
Okay. Since I started in here I'll finish.

Here is the spread of pics on the finished TA-4K.

On the bench:

More
6 years 6 months ago #10 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic A-4k & TA-4K duo-build, in SEA
Very very nice!

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
6 years 6 months ago #11 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic A-4k & TA-4K duo-build, in SEA
very nice indeed...

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
6 years 6 months ago #12 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic A-4k & TA-4K duo-build, in SEA
Looks great. :)

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary