• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #1 by Wally
PV-1 Ventura NZ4515 - Revell 1/48 was created by Wally
With NZ4518 in 1/72nd delayed by the split canopy I turn to one of 3 x 1/48 PV-1s in my stash for which I already have 3 partial or full Ventura Decals PV-1 sets - meaning I can make any aircraft with yellow tail code numbers derived from a combination of 4's & 5's & 1's & 1's. NZ4515 seems like a good choice. Known to have been repainted in NZ Blue Sea Grey, possibly as early as before her first combat tour if my investigations into NZ4516 'Patua te Ra' are relevant, this means by say August '44 the paint will be very faded.
I was going to call this topic "Revell 1/48 corrected" but that wouldn't be strictly true. Perhaps Revell 1/48 partially corrected? (Aside from anything else, I'm not correcting the cowling, props, crankcase front, cockpit and all the other stuff aftermarket resin manufacturers have identified without noting the glaringly obvious incorrect placement of the starboard rear fuselage window).
So I also want to take the opportunity to correct the position of the starboard rear fuselage window.
Here's the kitset -

Here's an illustration I take to be correct -

I appear to be the only person on earth who has noticed this or commented online, despite the fault making it impossible to position the starboard roundel-bar correctly (unless you are using the [what look to me] slightly undersized US kit decals). Perhaps I'm the only person who cares ...?
Now I feel a bit foolish posting this because I have not done it thoroughly or correctly, however I think the principle is good. Cut out the window equi-distant each side, leaving more panel below it than above and then turn it around 180 degrees and refit it. Fill, scribe and fit the clear glass.

Attachment PV-1NZ4515Build1004Medium.jpg not found

Attachment PV-1NZ4515Build1008Medium.jpg not found

Attachment PV-1NZ4515Build1011Medium.jpg not found

Unfortunately, I forgot to take into account extending the two central fuselage panel lines back through the panel immediately forward of the window. Consequently I have not lowered the window enough. I will in future. Nec' time.
All for now.
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Wally. Reason: humour?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 10 months ago #2 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic PV-1 Ventura NZ4515 - Revell 1/48
Long time since I posted on this one and I have done some work on it.
Firstly though, for PV-1 enthusiasts ... or should I say, "for the one or two other PV-1 enthusiasts on here" - our friend Calum has recently clarified the configuration of RNZAF PV-1 cockpits on rnzaf.proboards. In combat aircraft we did not have a co-pilot as such and the cockpit was fitted with a jump seat and no co-pilot's stick or pedals - much the same as Lockheed Hudson. Here's a photo from 'A Long Patrol' by James Sanders -

The kitset includes the jump seat so conversion appears not too difficult. Unfortunately my NZ4515 fuselage was closed up before I found this out so this will be the last one I make with a co-pilot's seat (except for possible future OTU builds).

Painting has begun with a coat of Color of Eagles PRU Blue for Very Faded NZ Blue Sea Grey, as I did with my 1/72 NZ4518 at Piva diorama.

Darker variations of NZ BSG will now be applied using my patented "Fade in Reverse by Brush" method.
Despite its little faults (like that fuselage window) I absolutely love this kitset. This is my fourth build of it and there are many more to come. Two more in the stash already. It fits together like a dream. Negligible filler was used.
I pray to God Revell make a Hudson to go with it. (Just thought I'd slip that in in case they are monitoring modelling websites ...)
Cheers,
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #3 by Wally
Here's the window you were asking about DA. This is NZ4515 immediately after decaling. The adjustment in the position of the window has been moderately successful in relation to the roundel bar. As I predicted earlier due to not rescribing the panels in front of it, the window is still too high and could clearly be a little lower still.

As you might expect I'm a shade unhappy about the fuselage roundels being slightly out of register too. Unusual for Ventura decals. I'm quite pleased with my severely faded NZ Blue Sea Grey camoflage scheme through -

and as always - the usual rider - there is no way to accurately represent the Ventura decals RNZAF mid-blue which, though light, is actually darker than in these photos and, for me at least, adequately depicts faded RNZAF roundels. It was nice to finally use Malcolm's yellow code numbers on the tail of one of my PV-1s too - I consider them the most accurate available - after just 3 builds.
Cheers,
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Wally. Reason: add important info

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 9 months ago #4 by Wally
I carefully self-masked the entire canopy and ventral gun windows in one go this time with Tamiya tape, except I forgot to take any photos of my (hopefully) last self-masking effort. Its commercial Paint Masks for me from now on if possible. Finished the aircraft with aerosol dullcote spray and added finishing touches including trying out my new Vallejo Smoke behind the cowl flaps. It's quite brown but I am pleased with its applicability so far -

I'm also pleased with the very faded NZ Blue Sea Grey paintwork and with my backshading on the NZ Sky underneath, which doesn't show up in the photos.

The best place to get the little T-shaped Yagi aerials in my opinion is Tamiya F4U-1/2 or -1A Corsair, which have a sprue for the Birdcage version upon which are aerials for F4U-2 Nightfighter.

So, another RNZAF PV-1 Ventura "bites the dust" so to speak, my fourth build of this marvellous (and slightly flawed) kitset (of a marvellous and slightly flawed aircraft) There are at least 2 more to come (Oh yay! I hear you cheer ...?). The next one may be a home-based OTU version ... hmmm, I ask myself, so where will I get the decals for that ...?
More pictures of NZ4515 in the RNZAF 75th Anniversary Build Gallery.
Cheers,
Wally.
PS - despite pressing hard on the canopy for 15 minutes while the cement dried, certain that the front of it was touching, I note with alacrity it has risen slightly in the photos. 1 out of 4 proper canopy fittings is not a record I am proud of on these PV-1 builds. Next time I shall shave the cockpit sidewalls down a bit.

I enjoy doing research
Attachments:

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 9 months ago #5 by Wally
In the BUILD GALLERY Dad's Army wrote
"Just one thing that stands out ( and it may be just the photos) - Constructive criticism only - The panel lines on NZ4515 look quite dark ( I know that must sound rich, coming from the guy who is too lazy to do panel lines ) The rest of your weathering is awesome, the paint chips, oil stains, smoke stains etc. Just saying from my perspective, is there an in-between?"
I have transferred the conversation in an attempt to re-establish the original purity of the Build Gallery (which I myself have defiled) as deigned by St Andrew.
Yes Dad's, you are absolutely right and my stubborn adherence to self-devised techniques concerns me at times. Of my two panel line options - pigment pen or lead pencil - I chose pigment pen for my first PV-1 Ventura and have done them all the same since. It is dark, partly because the lines on PV-1 are really quite deep. I think perhaps I will do my next one with 4B or similar pencil and see how it looks. If, for instance, I can ever get NZ4516 'Patua te Ra' artwork the panel lines on the nose area will be quite disruptive of the Maui vs The Sun picture. By the same token, I am quite fond of a kind of "loose assemblage of panels" look about WW2 aircraft.
My other option, I guess, is to have another go at doing washes. Years ago in 1/72 my experience of attempting this using a heavily thinned Tamiya dark grey on top of Humbrol Glosscote was so disastrous I just gave up. That's when I turned to lead pencil.
In persisting with pen & pencil washes I really need to get to a giant art store for 0.05 & 0.1 nibbed pigment pens in dark grey or burnt sienna or some other color rather than black.
Please don't you or anyone else worry too much about giving me "constructive criticism". At art school one undergoes a thing called "critique" (1/35 Battalion will know about this) where one's precious children are rigorously peer, tutor and mentor 'reviewed'. This can sometimes feel like watching your children torn asunder before your very eyes. Once you have gotten used to that you can handle pretty much anything by way of feedback - though I must add that one needs to retain the right to critique the critique.
I appreciate your feedback Dad's because it relates to that "diecast look" I have pointed out myself on several occasions and which I want to avoid.
Thanks & Cheers,
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

More
7 years 9 months ago #6 by Dads Army
Replied by Dads Army on topic PV-1 Ventura NZ4515 - Revell 1/48
St Andrew - I love it!!

I hesitated about posting that feedback, but the reason I did was that I'd love to see your work evolve further (and I have since you've been with us at KM).
Biggest reason for hesitating - because I cant speak from experience, only what I've seen others do. The only plane I've ever bothered to darken the panel lines was with a 0.5 mm lead pencil - although I'm currently working on a top-secret "redemption" build which I aim to do an oil wash etc

You can "critique" my work anytime Wally :-)

"Rough as Guts Production's"

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary