Best Model - Old/New for an RNZAF Catalina in 48th

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Flying_Kiwi
  • Flying_Kiwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #1 by Flying_Kiwi
Hi chaps, need some opinion what is the easiest 48th scale model to convert in to the RNZAF catalina's (i think they were 5a's)

Anybody who knows or has doen this please let me know. i'm planning my stash, should be finished by the 100th annniversary

Tah Chaps

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #2 by Wally
Hi Kiwi, the only 1/48th scale kitset that I know of is the Revell/Monogram PBY-5. To my knowledge we did not use any 5A's or Amphibians. ADF serials could tell you this for sure.
As far as I know there is no conversion required on the Monogram kitset for PBY-5 although some RNZAF PB2-Bs, Boeing built Catalinas, had additional dome-like windows in the rear fuselage.
For fanatics of absolutely correct dimensions some correction is necessary on the Revell/Monogram kitset in the rear fuselage & tailplane area, which is apparently too thick. It certainly looks it.
Here's the old Monogram box, plenty of these still available locally, one on TradeMe this week, and on eBay.

I believe Revell have re-released it once in new boxing but they are very rare.
And here's my build as NZ4010 XX-L from earlier this year in 75th Anniversary GB -

It comes like this with the solid body and option of beaching wheels. My kitset, purchased privately, included PBY-5A parts sprues but the clear parts sprue appeared to be the original one and it included the round-top front turret which all our early PBY-5s were apparently retro-fitted with. (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong about any of these technicalities).
So that's what to look for, the Monogram or Revell USA 1/48 PBY-5.
Decals, if you need them, are AeroMaster RNZAF in WW2, long out of print but they come up in auctions occasionally.
Cheers,
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flying_Kiwi

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #3 by Flying_Kiwi
Thanks Wally ,went and secured the monogram Catalina on trade me i had it in my watchlist and took the
fixed price offer. I hope mine turns out the same as yours! a fine example, love the weathering on the props!!!

FK

Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Flying_Kiwi.

More
7 years 11 months ago #4 by Wally
Great, I hope to see the build on RNZAF 75th Anniversary GB? Such a great flying boat, such an excellent kitset, it really is a joy to construct. Do you know which particular aircraft you will make yet? I would like to do a GF- (?) coded Catalinas, the only one's I cannot find a reference for what colour the code letters were (so far). You don't happen to know do you?
Cheers,
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

More
7 years 11 months ago #5 by Gary
I have this one in the stash, am I right in thinking that it can be done as a RNZAF Cat? My knowledgs of Cats and NZ aircraft is somewhat lacking. I wonder if I can get it done in time for Armistice....... :)

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
7 years 11 months ago #6 by Wally
I don't know about the rhetorical part of your question mate ... can you?
But yes, this is the correct kitset for PBY-5 & PB2B-1 for all (56 I think) RNZAF Catalinas. Some and perhaps all PB2B-1s had additional small 'astrodome' type windows right down the back of the fuselage (according to AeroMaster decals for NZ4033 PA-E).
It is not a particularly complicated build - having the same kind of Revell simplicity yet sufficient detail that PV-1 Ventura has - but it is rather large. Wingspan just under 1m I seem to recall ... as I seem to recall bashing things about on the modelling table when I was painting it.
Cheers,
Wally

I enjoy doing research

More
7 years 11 months ago #7 by Gary
I can but it depends on the paints and decals, where can I find more info about colours and markings etc?

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #8 by Wally
Hobbyvista.com has an excellent section on them including some colour illustrations and model photos (in the RNZAF MODEL PHOTOS section) [XX- & KN- codes]. A very good reference.
homepage link
rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/
this is the link for the Catalina pages
rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/cat1.html
There's also information on serials & codes at adf.serials -
www.adf-serials.com/nz-serials/
I also found quite a lot of stuff by googling "RNZAF Catalina photographs" and following links.
A book has recently been published about No. 5 Flying Boat Squadron.
You can also ask the folks on rnzaf.proboards. I've got a couple of posts on there about Cats when I was searching for a subject and discovered NZ4012 XX-N "The Naughty Nine" with Black Cat artwork.
www.rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Modelling
Should keep you going ...?
The decals are becoming rare and (to be honest) they are rather marginal anyhow. Most days I search "1/48 New Zealand" on eBay to see if any appear but I'd be loath to buy any more really. Their roundel-bars are difficult to use, especially the larger ones, of which the Cats are the largest of all. The only thing the set really has going for it is artwork & code letters/numbers for some a/c available nowhere else. The AM decals are very thick and prone to silvering. The guy Randy Lutz who made NZ4017 XX-T (web review and on hobbyvista) ended up painting his own markings. For instance, it is very difficult to find 1/48th scale 48" Yellow Code Letters anywhere, 22mm high. I found some 20mm high which would probably do the trick.
Having said all that, I have one full set of 1/48 roundel-bars (but no codes) which I'm not prepared to part with in the event I ever build another one because I can't see myself ever painting them on.
Cheers,
Wal

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Wally. Reason: acknowledgement & more info

More
7 years 11 months ago #9 by LDSModeller

Gary wrote: I have this one in the stash, am I right in thinking that it can be done as a RNZAF Cat? My knowledgs of Cats and NZ aircraft is somewhat lacking. I wonder if I can get it done in time for Armistice....... :)

Hi Gary

As Wally said you can use the Revell/Monogram for an RNZAF Catalina, and the Pete Mossong site has good info. If you have access to it the following book, has lots of good info

The Seawings site has a truck load of photos posted there by a fellow Kiwi, check out this
link
theflyingboatforum.forumlaunch.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=893

If you are looking for a quick build ie Cambridge Armistice (November?) you might consider a post WWII
RNZAF Catalina in Meduim Sea Grey upper and white lower. Ventura has RNZAF decals (D type) which you can use, and you can either make your own Serials or, I belive again Ventura has 1/48 black lettering.

Interior will be US Interior Green (though I know the Sunderlands had a repaint in something close to
Foliage Green, PBY's probably had it too).

Hope that helps

Alan

More
7 years 11 months ago #10 by LDSModeller

Wally wrote: A book has recently been published about No. 5 Flying Boat Squadron.
Wally

Hi Wally

You wouldn't by chance have the name of the book handy?

Would love to obtain a copy.

Thanks

Alan

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #11 by Flying_Kiwi
Hi Wally,

The kit is on its way, thinking of building the Cat my friends grandad served on, not sure of the serial yet, or if i can figure it out the aircraft my grandad arrived back to NZ in the rear blister in 1946.
but once i know either or i will do some research on the correct scheme.

If i find the right colour match for those yellow letters i will PM you :-)

FK

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #12 by Wally
Hey Everyone,
It's great to see so much interest in RNZAF Cats all of a sudden. Awesome! Can't wait to see other people's builds.
LDS, I thought it was you who told me about the book on rnzaf.proboards but I just now checked and it was ErrolC. Here are the links he posted -

www.lulu.com/shop/jenny-scott/dum....t-18929187.html

ADDED LATER: I tried the above link and it said the page had been moved. However, once in Lulu I searched 'books' & 'rnzaf' and "Dumbo Diary" by Jenny Scott is still there to be purchased.

rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Book...display&thread=16036

I think I'll order myself a copy today too.
And here's the proboard link to NZ4012 XX-N "The Naughty Nine" which I really want to build one day after I have mastered making my own decals. There's a PDF attached (mid-shot) which should download okay from the site. It was a treat for me to 'discover' this artwork recently, though I dare say plenty of people know about it.

www.rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=...display&thread=16246

Attached here is my close-up PDF version, a bit grainy.

File Attachment:

File Name: RNZAFPBY-5...XX-N.pdf
File Size:36 KB

Cheers,
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Wally. Reason: Clarify link

More
7 years 11 months ago #13 by Wally
Here's another interesting RNZAF PBY-5 Catalina subject with nose art - XX-W 'The Wandering Witch'

www.flickr.com/photos/adelaide_archivist...t-72157622742343061/

I don't especially want to become a decal manufacturer but heck .... what does one do ...?

I enjoy doing research

More
7 years 11 months ago #14 by Gary
That's awesome mate, I've added that to my collection.

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary