Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • RossMack
  • RossMack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
More
8 years 4 months ago #1 by RossMack
I reckon I kicked her off about November, five months of on-and-off and a final burst of concentration and No 3 commission is put to rest.

Own mix of lacquer (yellow/black) tints in various ratios for the IG.
Humbrol enamels for upper colours.

N.S. Sea Blue - Hu25 and gloss black 4:1. Various tints lightened w/ white or light grey for fading.

N.S. Int Blue - Hu96 RAF blue and white 3:1 & 4:1.

Whites - auto rattle can and Tamiya.

Weathering effects by pastel chalk and diluted paint streaks.
Panel washes in black or brown/black artist's acrlyics.
Aerial is a hair strand.
Wing was primed and painted white then the bars were measured and masked with pain tape. Wing roundels were Miracle Masks, tailored to the kit's decal dimensions but reduced 3-4 mm for a better fit.
Some references show the roundels look smaller, in most pics.

MM Insignia Blue enamel, tinted with Hu15 Midnight Blue around 8:1, to give some luminescent contrast to the Sea Blue. I've read also that Insignia Blue can be mixed from Hu25 and black.
Kit roundels for the fuselage, then the centre masked and painted InsBlue.
I categorically refuse to display any RNZAF build w/ light blue roundels.

Mal @ Miracle Masks can cut most shapes and to custom dimensions. They arrive from the UK in a week. After a good week of attempts to cut mask templates, for the roundels, from ali sheet I gave it up as a bad dream and went to Mal.

Regards

Ross

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
There are two types of aircraft: fighters and targets

On the bench:
Esci A-1H, I.D. Models 1/72 Andover vac, Hasegawa 1/72 F-15D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #2 by Wally
Excellent stuff! Wow! Your details, painting & weathering are superb. How about a selection of your best pics in the Build Gallery of this forum? Wally. (PS - if you do that, reply to Andrew's #1 posting to make your own title)

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Wally. Reason: request pics in Build Gallery

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary