Haven't been here in a while (sickness/hospital etc).
Have a build that I have under way, I'd like to share.
This year in the 75th Anniversary of the RNZAF so to celebrate I plan to
build a series of aircraft past/present, this is my first.
In late August 1945, the RNZAF began to receive NA P-51D's
which were supposed to replace the war weary F4U'/FG-1 Corsairs,
in the fight in the Pacific, However the war ended and the majority of the
order was cancelled. Some 30 P-51's were received at Hobsonville from the US.
Early in 1946 the decision was made to place the aircraft in storage,so they
were placed in "rubberised" storage (cocooned) at Ardmore where they stayed
until the early 1950's
The Territorial Air Force (similar to USAF National Guard) units were to be the users of these aircraft, and 4 Squadrons were issued these aircraft.
Auckland No.1 Squadron was one of these recipients and one aircraft in particular
is the subject of my build.
My subject build is NZ2413, this aircraft is perculilar, in that it was the only one
among it's stablemates who retained a Cuffed Propeller.
The markings come from the Ventura range, the only niggle with the Ventura
set is that the Roundel blue is a little too light. However in my research on the
subject, I read that house paint was used, which had issue of fading .
The Aircraft will be finished in HSS (High Speed Silver) which was common in
RAF at the time and in use also in the RNZAF. Time frame is circa 1954/55 just
toward the end of it's operational career. This RNZAF Vampire is in HSS, and shows
how it should look.
The ventura decals
Picture of the aircraft
The Checker boards are supposed to be in the colours of the regional Rugby
teams Auckland, being the Blues (at that time- no I'm not a rugby fan)
The model is the 1/32 Hasegawa kit
I plan to do some work on this but not go the whole hog, the main issue, is to
correct the main wheel wells, where the main spar has been molded incorrecly
this photo shows what has to be done.
I have cut way the flaps to drop them, as the M/E manual states that the
aircraft "were" supposed to be parked with the flaps down so here we go
More later in the build.
Starting off with the Merlin engine, I have glued and put together, adding some
filler at the rear, using Tamiya putty, I added with an old scalpel blade and smoothed
it with nail polish remover with Acetone (smells really nice -just not right for a guys
The engine mounts for the Hasegawa kit are really reliant on the engine being centred
with the spinner acting as a bearing and the exhausts acting as supports.
I have added some additional supports below the engine
Engine sitting on supports (not glued) to illustrate
This looks like its going to be a fun build.
With all the brew-ha-ha about the new Tamiya and Zoukei-Mura models it will be good to see a "classic" ( what we call old, out of date kits that have problums of all sorts -but are affordable ) kit.
Lookin' forward to your up dates
I have painted the floor board to simulate "Plywood"
I didn't like the kit seat so carried out surgery on the seat
and built a new one
Added some paint to various areas
RNZAF Mustangs from what I have read were Chromate yellow in the engine
bay and rear of aircraft, Interior Green for the actual cockpit and black for
the radio area behind the cockpit -roughly feathered (which I have tried
In the last photo, after painting the floor boards black, I took an old T shirt and gently polished away at the black until I was able to achieve a slightly worn look
The seat also received the same treatment.
I had this Photo Etch, that I had purchased years ago, so was able to put it to good use in making a seat harness
Finished product, though my eyes which were 20/20 aren't anymore- that was quite fiddley
The IP had the instrument faces brushed in white , then black paint over the top. The IP faces then had the paint "rubbed" off to reveal the white under, then dry brushed with black to tone down the white. Quite happy with the result
Built a tail wheel housing to prevent see through
Added some water colours (brown etc) to simulate dirt etc from the fields these aircraft operated from
Added the cockpit items prior to closing up the fuselage
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research