How about a "What If" NZ Defense Force Group Build?

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #61 by gmoss1
sounds like a cool idea!
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by gmoss1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #62 by gmoss1
Here is one I did last year. I wondered what the Apache might have looked like in Aussie camo scheme if our government had of purchased it instead of the ARH Tiger..

Count me in for the group build!

Cheers
Greg

Attachments:

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
9 years 3 months ago #63 by CyNaKyL
Just thinking out loud here, does anyone know if the markings on the aussie hercs and c17's are the same size? ie do they use the same painting templates on both? The idea behind this is whether or not I could use 1/144 RNZAF herc markings on the revell c17 I have for the anzac whif GB. Another thought was get an sh60 of some description and do it in seasprite markings... I'm still thinking of kiwi f16's or hornets though.... Too many ideas, not enough time and money to make them come true... :angry:

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #64 by RossMack
ESCI F-16A

This could be an object lesson in the use of Blutac.
It might simply be the type of flat enamel - Revell 57 (FS36270) - that encourages 'bleeding' of the Blutac's carrier. Plainly seen is the darker areas where I'd masked.

I used Rev 57 as a base colour. Looking at it all-in-one I reckon I can darken it a bit with FS36118, as a scale effect. Full 36118 would be way too dark.
Dark green is Hu116 lightened about 30%, then diluted w/ light grey and misted on to break up the uniformity.
The FS34102 green is a rough mix of some spray bomb satin black and yellow, if I had to guess it would be about 6:1 yellow/black.

I did forget my usual addition of gloss clear to the paint mix, 50/50 paint to clear before thinning. I'll do that on the touch-up phase. It should reduce the Blutac smears.
The pattern's taken from the official A-4K scheme I've had on file since TTS days, adapted here 'n there to fit. Previous experience w/ tricky patterns prepared me for the work ahead. It won't be a quick process.

Regards

p.s. The fixed rear canopy part disappeared in to the Big Ether yrs ago. I'll try to heat-smash s/thing decent for a replacement. But, if anybody has a spare in 1/72nd laying around the parts bin and don't need it I'd be most grateful.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
There are two types of aircraft: fighters and targets

On the bench:
Esci A-1H, I.D. Models 1/72 Andover vac, Hasegawa 1/72 F-15D
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by RossMack. Reason: postscript

More
8 years 11 months ago #65 by Dads Army
Are you going landing gear up, or are they doors tacked in place for the paint job?
I like the camo scheme, and that darker ring around the grey (from the Blu-tack?) looks cool too :)

"Rough as Guts Production's"

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
More
8 years 11 months ago #66 by RossMack
Ldg gear will be down. If I can find where I put the nlg strut after carefully removing it and promptly leaving it s/where I can't find it!

Yep, them's the Blutac stains. Nertz.

Upside is, I've been bashing together a male mold from a pen tube. Couple of tries with smash-molding through a female former is looking positive for a rear canopy section.

Onwards and upwards.

Ross

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
There are two types of aircraft: fighters and targets

On the bench:
Esci A-1H, I.D. Models 1/72 Andover vac, Hasegawa 1/72 F-15D

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 11 months ago #67 by Craig Sargent
I added a post the other day, but it seems to have disappeared. I have spare Revell and Hasegawa F-16 rear canopies, if you want to drop me your address. I'd imagine they should fit.

On The Bench (2021)
Hasegawa 1/48 F-4J Phantom
Tamiya 1/48 Martlet IV conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion
Trumpeter 1/32 A-10A Thunderbolt
Tamiya 1/32 F-14B Tomcat conversion
Hasegawa 1/72 F-104S Starfighter
Hasegawa 1/72 UH-60A Yanshuf conversion

More
8 years 10 months ago #68 by Wally
Would "What if the war hadn't finished in 1945" qualify for this? What if the RNZAF had gone on to get Hellcats, Bearcats, F4U-4 (-7) Corsairs, Skyraiders or if the XP-71(?) Bubbletop Kittyhawk had gone into production? Or our Mustangs and Mosquitos had gone into combat? Early jets as RNZAF aircraft in combat camo & markings?

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

More
8 years 10 months ago #69 by Dads Army
IMO they all sound quite suitable for "what if" builds Wally.
Welcome aboard by the way :)

"Rough as Guts Production's"

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
8 years 10 months ago #70 by CyNaKyL
Yep sounds fine to me... I believe the spirit of the group build is anything that hasn't seen service with either australia or nz or both but could have. Doesn't have to be modern day stuff...

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
8 years 8 months ago #71 by citylimits
In the original WWII lend lease arrangement saw the Americans leasing British Bases. In the modern form of lend lease you suggest I have to wonder what exactly the United States could lease from us here in NZ?

• Andrew
  • Andrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Serial kit starter...
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #72 by Andrew

citylimits wrote: In the original WWII lend lease arrangement saw the Americans leasing British Bases. In the modern form of lend lease you suggest I have to wonder what exactly the United States could lease from us here in NZ?

How about use of our airspace, and airports etc for their supplies being sent to McMurdo Station? :lol: I'm sure thats worth a few Abrams or F-18s :)

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Andrew.

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary