How about a "What If" NZ Defense Force Group Build?

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Andrew
  • Andrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #1 by Andrew
Often when looking at group builds, it feels like we Kiwis miss out for selection compared to other countries when it comes to modern equipment in our Defense Force.

How about a what if group build where actual politics and history have no influence and you build a kit with NZ markings?

I believe the subject has plenty of scope for variety, you could build armour, ships or aircraft anywhere from 1/32 to 1/700

Here's a couple of examples;

What if Aunty Helen didn't cancel the order for the F-16s?

After the collapse of the Soviet Union, NZ brought up surplus equipment T-72s BMPs Su-27s MiGs and Antonov cargo planes?

What if we signed a lend-lease agreement with the US for equipment and we got things like Tarawa class amphibious carriers, AAVP7s, M1A1s, Humvees, Blackhawks, Harriers and F-15s?

Anyone else keen on this idea?

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Andrew.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #2 by Gary
Technically you could include any piece of military hardware from the WWI to modern day manufactured by any country and call it what if NZ DF seeing as we have virtually no capabilities, anything goes :P

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
9 years 1 month ago #3 by Grant

Andrew wrote:
Anyone else keen on this idea?

I'm keen. :)

More
9 years 1 month ago #4 by Gary
Yes sorry for the flipant comments, yes I would be up for this.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 1 month ago #5 by Andrew

Gary wrote: Technically you could include any piece of military hardware from the WWI to modern day manufactured by any country and call it what if NZ DF seeing as we have virtually no capabilities, anything goes :P

:lol:

Yeah, but just because it's old, doesn't mean it is still not effective! Look at the Fairy Swordfish at Taranto :P

But this is our chance to arm NZ as we'd like to see it. No red tape, no politically correct bollocks, no defence budget! :woohoo:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
9 years 1 month ago #6 by Dads Army
Yep, I've got mine already to go. Been waiting for an excuse to order some Ventura Kiwi roundels :drum:

"Rough as Guts Production's"

• Dean
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
More
9 years 1 month ago #7 by Dean
So what sort of markings do you think our Navy would put on a Nimitz Class Carrier ?

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 1 month ago #8 by Andrew

Dean wrote: So what sort of markings do you think our Navy would put on a Nimitz Class Carrier ?

With a Nimitz Class carrier, you could do whatever you like!

As long as they don't call it the SS Essess :lol:

More
9 years 1 month ago #9 by jimmy07

What if Aunty Helen didn't cancel the order for the F-16s?

What?!! He was a chick???

................................................................................................................... sorry :whistle:

More
9 years 1 month ago #10 by Davidrnz
Considering the delivery delays, does the NH90 count as "what if".
On the other hand, it will probably be retired from service by the time I get around to building my one....

David

More
9 years 1 month ago #11 by bikingmike
OOOH! I can play this game!

Revell Rafale wearing Gekko Graphics decals, with serials appropriately modified...

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 1 month ago #12 by Andrew
Nice build there Mike B)

More
9 years 1 month ago #13 by Dads Army
Love that camo scheme bikingmike . I'm guessing 1/48 ? - there's just way too much detail for 1/72
Maverick on outer pylon ?, modern looking Sidewinders on wing tip ? - HUGE fuel can on inner pylon?
Great stuff :)
I reckon if you got a photo of that with a bit of RNZAF personal / aircraft in the background and leaked it to the media ......... :lol:
Bill English would be like WTF :angry: ... Who bought that jet!!!!

More
9 years 1 week ago #14 by RED
Academy 1/72 AH-64 Longbow with ventura decals

Attachments:

More
9 years 1 week ago #15 by charlieboy
red, what are the things on the nose of the AH--64.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 1 week ago #16 by Andrew
Nice stuff Red :)

Looks like we have two entrants already with yours and bikingmikes builds :cheer: I'd better get building lol

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #17 by RED
g'day mate they are the

Target Acquisition and Designation Sights - TADS and Pilot Night Vision System PNVS (Top) ;)

cheers Andrew - and theres another one possibly two more coming
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by RED.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlieboy

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #18 by Nubaba
I have been scratching my head about what scheme to use on my Mono 1/48 F-20 Tigershark. One of the ideas was an Agressor bird (aka the F-5's that fly for the USAF and Navy). But what if the NZ Government had ignored the politics and purchased F-20's off Northorp to replace the Skyhawks. We could of had a highly capable fleet with one of the most advanced aircraft of its day. I like the thought of Kiwi Tigers doing circles around Falcons and Hornets B).

I will have to find some decals that might do the trick....I seem to remember an F-16 kit with a what if Kiwi scheme. Maybe they would fit?

I mainly build things that fly; mostly post-war jet fighters. My favourites are Phantoms and Eagles.
On the bench:
- Hasegawa 1/48 F-8E conversion to Marines F-8K - no AM stuff other than Microscale decals
- Revell 1/32 F-4E with True Detail seats
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Nubaba.

More
9 years 1 week ago #19 by Gary
Hey if you guys want to start an ANZAC (we got to include our friends accross the ditch) what if build I'm good with that, will need someone to head it up and get people involved etc, volunteers just post something up here.
Can't have anything that has already been built or started other than that anything goes I guess.

More
9 years 1 week ago #20 by Nubaba
I would be in....it will give me an excuse to start the Tigershark :cheer: I am sure I could donate something to a prize pool if that helped.

I mainly build things that fly; mostly post-war jet fighters. My favourites are Phantoms and Eagles.
On the bench:
- Hasegawa 1/48 F-8E conversion to Marines F-8K - no AM stuff other than Microscale decals
- Revell 1/32 F-4E with True Detail seats

More
9 years 1 week ago #21 by jagewa
When would this GB run? I'd be quite keen for this, I'm feeling either F4 Phantom or a Russian jet..

Cheers
JIm

I can glue models, me.

More
9 years 1 week ago #22 by Grant

jagewa wrote: ...or a Russian jet..

I'm tempted to build an RNZAF Flanker. :silly:

More
9 years 1 week ago #23 by Dads Army
Does anyone have a phone number for Ventura ? I've e-mailed them re purchase of RNZAF roundels twice, but no reply.

More
9 years 1 week ago #24 by bikingmike
I'd be well up for this, but I'm not sure I'd have the time to do something in the midst of all the other builds that gotta be done!

even got a few ideas stashed away too, but whether they'll see the light of day remains to be seen!

Mike out

More
9 years 1 week ago #25 by Dads Army

Dads Army wrote: Does anyone have a phone number for Ventura ? I've e-mailed them re purchase of RNZAF roundels twice, but no reply.

We're right guys, got the number now. Cheers Red :)

• Dangermouse84
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #26 by Dangermouse84
Replied by Dangermouse84 on topic How about a "What If" NZ Defense Force Group Build?
Mike,
Your Rafale is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn, if only it was true. Yeh I am keen too I have a couple of kits I would like to do, A Hasegawa F-16F and a Hobby Boss Mirage 2000N

Slow is steady, steady is fast
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Dangermouse84.

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
More
8 years 9 months ago #27 by RossMack
I wondered what "Closer Economic Relations" would've started. How about 'commonality' with F/A-18s?
The F-35 debacle across the ditch would be enough to warrant switching to UK/Euro designs. French F1s would suit the naval environment! Or, imagine seeing Buccs on the f/l at OHK or Whenuapai..
Support units? Tankers could be KA-6, KC-135 or ex-RAF heavies.
ELINT missions to support US nets? What would a EC-135 in 5 Sqn look like?
The potential profiles are certainly enough to keep the interest up!
14 Sqn Harriers are high on the desirables.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
There are two types of aircraft: fighters and targets

On the bench:
Esci A-1H, I.D. Models 1/72 Andover vac, Hasegawa 1/72 F-15D

More
8 years 9 months ago #28 by bikingmike

Dangermouse84 wrote: Mike,
Your Rafale is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn, if only it was true. Yeh I am keen too I have a couple of kits I would like to do, A Hasegawa F-16F and a Hobby Boss Mirage 2000N

Thanks DM! I rather like it too!

Ross, there's some itneresting ideas there - but too many to actually sit down and build! I like the idea of Harrriers, they'd look great in a Euro-1 type scheme I reckon.

Not sure if F1s would ever be considered given the rainbow Warrior fiasco. Buccs would have been a good choice, but they are getting a bit geriatric now. I do think that NZ should have put in an order for Hawks when Auusie ordered theirs, thereby introducing commonality and reducing the unit price, not to mention facilitating training. But it's all idle speculation really, as it's not likely to ever happen now!

More
8 years 9 months ago #29 by Parrotfish
Just giving this one a tap as it appeals to me. Why not run this one as a GB? Lots of ideas out there.

Would love to see it go ahead.

Cheers,
Sean.

It's not yours until the little
infantry guy stands on it.

More
8 years 9 months ago #30 by Gary
We could do but we got an IDF GB starting in November, can we cope with two GBs? Will we get the interest? Go forth and spread the word, you get the people and I'll build it (well sit back and watch some other sucker run it that is). :D

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary