Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • agyoung33
  • agyoung33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #1 by agyoung33
Pz IV ausf K was created by agyoung33
Well, I've been working on this for about 2 weeks. The idea for this came from a braille scale version which looked just cool!! A PZ IV with sloped armour that was on the boards over 42-43 but never came to fruitition.

According to some sources it was supposed to have a 50mm sloped glacis, 80mm bow etc etc. I found a few side elevation drawings on the net - worked out some true lengths and angles and set to work. Anyway, here are the donor kits.

I bought this early last year I think, but in the end thought that it'd be better used as a hull for this. It has magic tracks which is a bonus, as well as about 3 sprues from the Jadgpanzer IV kit. I'll steal the gun and whittle it down - I'm thinking that along with the armour upgrade the 'IV would've/might've recieved a 7.5cm L60 KwK. The base kit also has a full set of modern DML rubber wheels. I plan to use the steel wheels on the first suspension station on each side.

I seached high and low for a cheap (i.e Academy) 'IV. It was the turret I was after really but nothing. I then switched to looking for the Orange box Pz IV 6022(?) but no luck there either. So, in the end Bishop came to the rescue. Cheers bud!

There's only 50mm armour on the turret front of the proceeding "J", so I thought well, why not give it abit more? With the new gun, I'll also try my hand at scratching a new mantlet. I'm thinking something in the shape of those narrow, long low slung things you saw on late war vehicles. I'm going to scratch the turret schurzen as I couldn't save the kit ones (sorry Bish). I might have to shell out some cold hard cash for some PE Thoma stuff as well. Any suggestions are very welcome!

The following photos are about a week old. This was ofcourse before I went crazy....

In the last photo I decided to do even more surgury to the upper hull, cutting away the transmission plate. In the end, I cut it all away because I thought it'd be neat to replicate the interlocking armour plate you see in more modern German designs like the Panther/Tiger et al.

I cut away the wall sections, making them interlocking and thought "that was easy! Then began on the hull front. Cripes. I've spent about a week trying to get things lined up properly...much easier to do it with stretched sprue and glue.

Much.

Easier.

There's abit more cleanup to do. And I've got to rework the top of the glacis plate in order to prepare it to take the superstructure roof. I'm going to scratch some hatches for the driver and radio op sort of like those Panther F ones - i.e they slide rather than lift upwards. Oh. And this.

I've stripped it right back and have started on a new roof!

Happy gluing people! :)

"The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad."
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by agyoung33. Reason: spellin'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #2 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Re: Pz IV ausf K
That's the idea, this is fantastic.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: agyoung33

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
8 years 10 months ago #3 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Re: Pz IV ausf K
Yeah, I agree, that looks really cool. Kind of puts my idea for a KT to shame :lol:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #4 by agyoung33
Replied by agyoung33 on topic Re: Pz IV ausf K
Thanks guys. There is a long way to go so I thought I might as well start on this early. There is not much fiddly stuff on the Stug to do now - I reckon it'll all be regualtion - but man, the futzing around on the bow of this....Wanted to start all over again with another hull! :wail:

Hey Andrew I reckon you should stick with the KT idea. It'd look pretty neat man!

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
8 years 10 months ago #5 by Andrew
Yeah, I'm debating whether to get Friuls for it or not. I opened the KT box the other night and was greeted by several sprues of track links :pinch: :lol:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #6 by agyoung33
Well, speaking for myself I wouldn't get the fruils. Apart from being cheap ( :P ), I don't have a full compliment of good quality tools yet.

Me mate gave me a set of shears that he uses to cut stuff for pcb boards (some computer stuff). I used them to cut parts off sprues and hey presto. Almost no clean up. I asked him later how much they cost and he said somewhere along the lines of $200. Man.

I'm successfully fighting the urge to buy online all the neat new stuff that's about; but I'd love to get something that cuts plastic dead straight, at any angle I wanted it. Would make the hobby alot easier. Budgets!!

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
8 years 10 months ago #7 by Andrew
You need something like this B)

The Chopper II

The cheapest I've found so far online is around US$68 delivered, so around NZ$85 :whistle: Though it's the sort of tool that once you have it, apart from replacing blades and mats, it would last a very long time

More
8 years 10 months ago #8 by azaminis
Replied by azaminis on topic Re: Pz IV ausf K

Andrew wrote: Though it's the sort of tool that once you have it, apart from replacing blades and mats, it would last a very long time

And it would get a lot of use, Looks very handy

Kraft durch Freude:Strength through joy.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #9 by agyoung33
Hmmm. "Chopper"....Looks very nice. And useful.

Mind, I wonder if there'd be a cheaper version out there. :)

More
8 years 10 months ago #10 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Re: Pz IV ausf K

agyoung33 wrote: Hmmm. "Chopper"....Looks very nice. And useful.

Would not be to hard to make one ;) must fire up the mill and make a PE bender :pray:

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #11 by agyoung33

weldingrod wrote:

agyoung33 wrote: Hmmm. "Chopper"....Looks very nice. And useful.

Would not be to hard to make one ;) must fire up the mill and make a PE bender :pray:

You reckon I should scratch one up Glenn!?! I would if I had access to a metal workshop!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #12 by agyoung33
Talk about a one day weekend. I was expecting to get alittle more done than I did but spent about 7 hours training....

I had a vague plan to build the roof and get on with some bulkheads for ammo etc done. Nothing hard but alittle time consuming

The roof itself was perfect, even if I say so myself!! :blush: It was 1mm sheet, and I managed to cut straight and true. The ring for the turret likewise. The side walls were true, and the thing just slotted in like a bought one. But it's those little things that get you....

I found that after I dry fitted the superstructure roof, that the turret was being fouled by the support panel that demarcates the engine from the fighting compartment. Anyway, the real fire wall is recessed just to stop this from happening, so it was back to the grind. What's more I had to unglue the rear mudguards to get at the thick plastic plugs which lived just behind this. Great.

Thought I'd done the grunt work....

Here's afew shots of the thing loosely put together. I'm starting to see the shape and lines of this thing and I'm looking forward to cracking on! :)

Attachments:

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #13 by Bishop
This is actually a good exercise as it was thought that the IV had reached the limit of its design. The idea of putting the new Panther F turret on was, it was realised, just not going to work where as perhaps this might have. The real problem apart from the engine (you'd need a bigger one with all this extra armour) was the suspension, which struggled even with the L48, hence the steel wheels with the longer guns and guns with more kick like this Jagdpanzer IV (V) and this Brumbar. Are you going to use the steel wheels with this, I think I would?

I love the way its coming together.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Bishop.

More
8 years 10 months ago #14 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic Re: Pz IV ausf K
Nice build so far,
Would have made a better tank with the sloped armour

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #15 by agyoung33

Bishop wrote: This is actually a good exercise as it was thought that the IV had reached the limit of its design. The idea of putting the new Panther F turret on was, it was realised, just not going to work where as perhaps this might have. The real problem apart from the engine (you'd need a bigger one with all this extra armour) was the suspension, which struggled even with the L48, hence the steel wheels with the longer guns and guns with more kick like this Jagdpanzer IV (V) and this Brumbar. Are you going to use the steel wheels with this, I think I would?

I love the way its coming together.

Cheers Bish.

Yeah, I figured that I'd be following a historical precedent given how nose heavy the various Jadgpanzers were (great multiple build by Tony by the way), so I'm currently set at using 1 suspension station per side with steel wheels. It may be more, given that I'll be putting on a thicker turret front - armour and protection for a stereoscopic rangefinder ala Panther F and the increased length of the main armament. Might mean figuring out a way of elegantly putting on a counterweight to the rear of the turret, sort of like the way the Brits did with the Firefly.

I'd read somewhere that this was a proposal made around '43, but abandoned due to the disruption it would cause to production and the fact that the proposed upgrades would make it drive like a pig. (Not a direct quote but hey...) :)

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #16 by agyoung33

Maarten wrote: Nice build so far,
Would have made a better tank with the sloped armour

Thanks Maarten! Yeah it would of. One of the things I'm having so much fun with is trying to keep constant with the aggressive lines of the original design, whilst adding detail that came afew years later. I mean that late war "J" just snarls "Get out of my way!"

I plan to use a cupola from the late Stugs (it's included in the base kit). It's going to be interesting seeing how this changes the shape and line.

Cheers
G

Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by agyoung33.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
8 years 10 months ago #17 by Andrew
Doesn't the base Brummbar kit include enough steel wheels that you could do the whole tank with them?

I reckon that would look quite cool B)

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #18 by agyoung33

Andrew wrote: Doesn't the base Brummbar kit include enough steel wheels that you could do the whole tank with them?

I reckon that would look quite cool B)

It does mate, but the cheap guy in me wants to save some for a rainy day! :cheer:

More
8 years 10 months ago #19 by Bishop
Practically you'd really have to use them all with the extra weight, but I know what you mean. I scrounged enough to put on the Jagdpanzer so I don't have any spare I could give you. I don't think you can even use just the front half of the centre 4 with rubber at the back to save four for another day. You'd need at least the front four each side to carry the weight I reckon.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #20 by agyoung33
Hmm, that's interesting what you're saying. I'd like to know how much a Brummbar weighed out at as opposed to the "j". Actually, it'd be good to work out theoretically how much this beast would have weighed in at as well.

My thought was that the steel wheels used on the Jdgpz IVs was to help out suspension strain; due to weight of the bow sloped armour, the weight of the new weapon and length of barrel, being distributed forward of the centre line ie nose heavy. To me, it looks like the weight is distributed far more evenly, closer to the centre of gravity on this.

Ah, I'm no engineer. :) We'll burn that bridge when we get there!

Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by agyoung33.

More
8 years 10 months ago #21 by Bishop
That's what the wheels were for and also because the rubber on the wheels wasn't as good at holding the extra weight because of their small size.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary