Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • ChewbaccaNZ
  • ChewbaccaNZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 1 day ago #1 by ChewbaccaNZ
Masking clear vision ports and periscopes was created by ChewbaccaNZ
Hi all. I'm relatively new to armour modelling and have a noob question I would love some wisdom for. Regarding clear plastic periscopes etc on ww2 armour... what do you do to mask them before airbrushing? I have read that some modellers prefer just painting over them with black then using clear gloss. Any tips or tricks for what you do? Thanks heaps ;-)

Never a dull moment!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 day ago #2 by Gary
Heya, I cut squares of masking tape and apply them prior to painting the model I then use clear smoke/green etc afterwards.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChewbaccaNZ

More
1 month 23 hours ago #3 by olive drab
Replied by olive drab on topic Masking clear vision ports and periscopes
Owning an actual periscope from a US Sherman the lenses themselves are clear but they sit in an olive drab casing so when viewed from the outside they appear green, the viewers lense is in a black casing so on the inside it appears a dark grey but the lenses itself is again clear, interesting to see how much of the world you can actually see , one of the reasons late war Shermans were such a good tank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChewbaccaNZ

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #4 by Henry
Replied by Henry on topic Masking clear vision ports and periscopes
I use a liquid mask which I find easyer
to use than cut little bits of marsking tape after painting the base coat I paint them in a clear blue or green.

Thanks Henry

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary