Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • ChewbaccaNZ
  • ChewbaccaNZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 days 23 hours ago #1 by ChewbaccaNZ
Badger 100LG or 105 Patriot was created by ChewbaccaNZ
Hi all. I'm getting back into modelling, and rebuying my gear all over again! Can anyone provide any wisdom on which will be the better buy for a workhorse airbrush? The Badger 100LG or the Patriot? Thanks heaps! ;-)

Never a dull moment!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 days 6 hours ago #2 by Fooesboy
Replied by Fooesboy on topic Badger 100LG or 105 Patriot
I haven't tried either of those airbrushes, but I am very happy with my Badger Krome and use it almost exclusively.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChewbaccaNZ

More
4 days 2 hours ago #3 by Admoto
Replied by Admoto on topic Badger 100LG or 105 Patriot
Have you used airbrushes before and what do you want to paint with it ? . I have over 40 brushes, most brands and models. I can offer some advice if I get a little more info.

• ChewbaccaNZ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 day 20 hours ago #4 by ChewbaccaNZ
Replied by ChewbaccaNZ on topic Badger 100LG or 105 Patriot
Thanks Admoto! I'm getting back into 1:35 armor. I used to have a Paasche Talon which I wasn't that fond of. I'm looking for a dependable workhorse really that can handle camo. Mightyape no longer has the 100LG on special so I have narrowed my choice down to either the Badger Patriot or the Badger Krome. Both are $250ish (The Krome come with 2 needles - fine and extra fine). Thanks again :-)

Never a dull moment!

More
1 day 12 hours ago #5 by Admoto
I am quite familiar with a lot of brushes. Badger, Paasche, Harder and Steenbeck, Sparmax, Olympos, Iwata, Creos, Tamiya and many more. I somehow have become an airbrush hoarder with well over 40 at the moment. The up side is I get to use and try a lot of different ones. I have a Badger Krome. To be honest I find it pretty average. I have never brought a 105 Patriot as there are 2 things that put me off it. One is the the needle protrudes out the front unprotected. This means that it is very easy to knock and damage the needle. Secondly the needle can only be drawn out from the back. If you dismantle the brush for cleaning you have to draw the needle out from the back, any paint on it will be dragged through the seal which does not do the seal a lot of good. The 105 Patriot is not for me, however it is a very popular brush and liked by many.
Of my brushes there are a couple of real standouts. I have no interest to get in to arguments with people about which brush is best, many say Iwata and others say Harder and Steenbeck. I have a couple of Iwatas and currently 3 Harder and Steenbeck brushes.
I will say what I think is easily the best quality and performance for your money. Creos Mr Hobby Procon Boy PS270 ( .2 needle/nozzle ) or PS289 ( .3 needle nozzle ) They are Japanese. Made in the same factory as Iwata and also some of the Tamiya brushes I think. Very high quality. Super smooth trigger. They atomise the paint just fantastically. I really love mine and the silly thing is they are not expensive. Parts not crazy prices either.
My PS289 can do really fine lines. The PS289 with the 03 needle / nozzle is probably the best bet for model building. It also has the needle stop control and mac valve. I buy some of my brushes from Spraygunner in Florida or from the UK. Shipping out of the USA is really slow at the moment but UK should be OK.
Here is a link for aircraft.net in UK. PS289 is 99.16 English pound. With post would be a little less than the Krome.
www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Mr-Procon-Boy...PS-289.html#SID=3195

As I said, I have a Krome. I also have the PS289. There is no comparison between these two brushes. They are worlds apart.
If you decide to go with the Badger you will have it faster, but do yourself a big favour and have a look at a few you tube reviews of the Procon Boy airbrushes first. I dont think there are many reviews on the PS289 but there are quite a few on the PS270 which is the same brush except for needle / nozzle size.
From using all my brushes , this is the best advice I can give you.

More
1 day 12 hours ago - 1 day 12 hours ago #6 by Admoto
Here is my PS289 and my Badger Krome. My Krome is the small cup version. Same brush as standard Krome except smaller paint cup. Also some of my brushes so you can see I am familiar with a few different models.
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 day 12 hours ago by Admoto.

• ChewbaccaNZ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 day 8 hours ago #7 by ChewbaccaNZ
Thanks so much for all the information Admoto and for taking the time to reply so awesomely!! I will definitely be researching the PS289! Have a great day ;-)

Never a dull moment!

• ChewbaccaNZ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 day 8 hours ago #8 by ChewbaccaNZ
BTW I am sooooo jealous at your airbrush hoard!!

Never a dull moment!

More
22 hours 35 minutes ago #9 by Admoto
It all started with one..... This little comparison is probably worth the couple of minutes to watch. It does not go in to great detail. Just a quick look at 6 popular brushes including the Talon, Badger Patriot and PS289.

A little warning. With covid, producton of all sorts of things has been cut back with lock downs and freight has become backlogged and very slow. Many suppliers are running out of stock of all sorts of things. I noticed Spraygunner in USA is out of stock of most of the popular brushes. Aircraft.net in the UK are showing the PS289 as available but many other models out of stock. These things will all come right in time but if you want something soon may not pay to leave it to long.
The PS289 at aircraft.net is a pretty competative price. If you register with their online site, it will pick up that you are not UK or EEC and automatically take off the 20% sales Tax.
Have fun with whatever you decide on.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary