• Page:

TOPIC: Asuka Sherman Firefly VC

Asuka Sherman Firefly VC 5 months 6 days ago #1

• yak
  • yak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 231
Time to step outside my comfort zone and give myself a challenge. I know very little about tanks and have never built one, But last year i got this when i was trying to build something for as many categories as possible for AiC. Clearly i never got around to this one but that has given me some time to come to the conclusion that i may as well go the whole hog and really challenge myself as this will likely be the only tank i ever build. So i have collected some AM stuff to have a go at as well, may as well do as many firsts at once as i can. I wasn't paying much attention when i got the bigger PE set as its for a IC not a VC but i'm sure i can use some stuff form it right?

Now as this is my first and possibly only go at a tank i am not trying to be completely historically accurate. I am hoping to get a reasonable finished result that will acted for me as a tribute to all the kiwis that served in tanks. So i will likely alter the serial number (if thats what its called) and the tactical number (again if thats what its called) so it wont represent any specific tank

Any tips on attaching/prepping the AM stuff will be gratefully accepted.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rob

Currently hacking away at:
1/48 Hobby World TA-4
1/48 Tamiya Mosquito
1/35 Asuka Firefly VC "on hold"

Asuka Sherman Firefly VC 5 months 5 days ago #2

• Nosferatu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 475
Good Luck Rob!... I did my first tank a few years ago...Have now done 3...I really enjoyed the change from aircraft and I feel that there is no real right or wrong when it comes to the weathering side of things so it gives you the freedom to try some different things without having to worry about stuffing the whole thing up! On the P.E side of things..well.. I have yet to master that! But when I use it I pick and choose as to what I use so you should be ok with the set you have. Youtube is good for some tips on using it. Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: yak

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
Last Edit: by Nosferatu.

Asuka Sherman Firefly VC 5 months 5 days ago #3

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 875
My biggest tip would be to buy a couple of pots of Blacken it or similar (or do what I sometimes do and make your own from Chlorine and White Vinegar, just be very careful of the Chlorine gas.........).

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

Asuka Sherman Firefly VC 5 months 5 days ago #4

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 183

Nosferatu wrote: Good Luck Rob!... I did my first tank a few years ago...Have now done 3...I really enjoyed the change from aircraft and I feel that there is no real right or wrong when it comes to the weathering side of things so it gives you the freedom to try some different things without having to worry about stuffing the whole thing up! On the P.E side of things..well.. I have yet to master that! But when I use it I pick and choose as to what I use so you should be ok with the set you have. Youtube is good for some tips on using it. Enjoy!

i don't think i've ever used an entire fret of PE?? normally you loose a few to the carpet monster anyway.

Speaking of chlorine gas,... how do they make mustard gas? not with colmans i'm sure?

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

Asuka Sherman Firefly VC 5 months 5 days ago #5

• Phil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 98
That's a pretty good kit even without the all the PE etc.

Asuka Sherman Firefly VC 5 months 5 days ago #6

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1581
NICE!!! My tip is passed on from the guys here. If your PE is not load bearing, but is sticking to a surface PVA glue is so much easier to stick it with than CA. Some things like fenders ( if you have PE ones), do need the extra strength of CA.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Asuka Sherman Firefly VC 5 months 4 days ago #7

• yak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys, Blacken it? is that a tarnishing product for the brass?

I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to work out how to fit the barrel the other night but now that its on do i need to glue it so that it doesn't come loose?

Rob

1/48 Hobby World TA-4
1/48 Tamiya Mosquito

Asuka Sherman Firefly VC 5 months 4 days ago #8

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 875
Yeah blacken it will tarnish brass and also blacken the white metal tracks which allows for easier painting and also provides a nice base for blackened barrels.
I used to make my own tarnishing fluid as I mentioned above, it did a great job on tracks, it actually put rust on white metal (don't ask how, but it was probably from the sewing pins I used to link the tracks). I didn't try it on brass but I'd guess the results would be the same.

Yes I would definitely glue the barrel in but leave it until you absolutely need to, just in case.....

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

Asuka Sherman Firefly VC 5 months 2 days ago #9

• yak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Proof that i am making progress.

I am finding that i am having to go over the instructions very carefully with this mainly because its uncharted territory for me. But i have got three suspension and wheel things done for one side one for the other the main chassis steps 1 and 7 on the instructions but first i fitted the RB barrel to the other thing which is step 21 :P i did say go over not follow.
Attachments:

Rob

1/48 Hobby World TA-4
1/48 Tamiya Mosquito

Asuka Sherman Firefly VC 5 months 1 day ago #10

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 227
No harm in skipping steps and dry fitting any model imo. Especially one you've not built before. Watching with interest.

Asuka Sherman Firefly VC 5 months 1 day ago #11

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 937
Awesome build there Yak, watching with huge interest :woohoo:

Asuka Sherman Firefly VC 5 months 15 hours ago #12

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 246

Bishop wrote: NICE!!! My tip is passed on from the guys here. If your PE is not load bearing, but is sticking to a surface PVA glue is so much easier to stick it with than CA. Some things like fenders ( if you have PE ones), do need the extra strength of CA.

I would like to back this up.. Ive been using PVA for those little details for a while, it is flexible, easy to use and generally has none of the issues CA has. It isnt as strong though, so the bigger or structured stuff still needs that.

Asuka Sherman Firefly VC 4 months 3 weeks ago #13

• PJNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 207
Cool stuff Rob

Asuka Sherman Firefly VC 3 months 2 weeks ago #14

• yak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
so after a month of full on training for a race, which meant no time for modelling i have tried over the last week to get back into this but sadly the interest i had for it has up and exited the building. I managed to put a few more pieces together but just no spark for it so i have put it all back in the box to wait for the drive to return hopefully with the hobby expo in a few weeks i'll get some buzz back.

Rob

1/48 Hobby World TA-4
1/48 Tamiya Mosquito
  • Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary