Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: DML StuG III ausf C/D

DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #1

• agyoung33
  • agyoung33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 111
Okay, here I am. I've been debating with myself about building something which would give me mini breaks from the Tiger I.

I was expecting a cosy little build. Afew beers every now and then. A piece of pizza....

As I got further into it things started to get alittle more complicated. I managed to get through the running gear in about a day...man there was alot of sanding and cleanup. Sink marks in the shock absorbers. Thick casting tabs (4 per tire). Muddy detail. If this is an indication of things to come....

I'd like the hatches left open but I'm really not sure I'd like to get that involved in this build, given that I'm making good progress on the Tiger I. Anyway, I gave myself the option and sawed away the "crossed" plastic.

I'm not too thrilled about how much work could be involved in this - I've seen some close ups of more modern kit Stugs and the detail and finesse - :ohmy: - when compared to this 1993 oldie is amazing.

Anyway, here it is with wheels and superstructure dry fitted. It's a cool shape, and it is my first Stug. Am I enjoying it? Kinda. Perhaps I should just loosen up? :cheer: One things for sure. I've done the wheels and about 40% of the kit is finished. Wow. Weird feeling!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad."
Last Edit: by agyoung33.

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #2

• Glenn
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 491
:cheer: Hey good on you for building a STUG III and a old DML kit at that,good progress so far :)

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #3

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

weldingrod wrote: :cheer: Hey good on you for building a STUG III and a old DML kit at that,good progress so far :)

Ha ha! Cheers mate :) . It's going to be interesting. I'm thinking a Panzer grey scheme, plenty of dust, rolling along on the Eastern front.

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #4

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1312
Excellent I want to start this next.... well have already sort of. Watching each step.

Why is patience a virtue, why can't hurry the f**k up be a virtue?

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #5

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Bishop wrote: Excellent I want to start this next.... well have already sort of. Watching each step.

Bish! You've got this already - and you've made a start?! I think you're going to finish this and I'll still be thinking about whether to drop a floor into the fighting compartment or not!! :) :lol:

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #6

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
  • Thank you received: 561
Looking good :)

I've just picked up the DML StuG III Ausf E which shares a lot of the components with your kit.

I'll be sending mine to the Eastern Front in German Grey also, but wearing a coat of whitewash B)

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #7

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Andrew wrote: Looking good :)

I've just picked up the DML StuG III Ausf E which shares a lot of the components with your kit.

I'll be sending mine to the Eastern Front in German Grey also, but wearing a coat of whitewash B)

Cheers Andrew! The more the merrier - how many StuGs on the go will that make for you? I'd be very interested in watching you build the "e". :)

Oh, and I might be calling on you and others here for help with questions on details etc etc. Hope you don't mind. At present I have from the library Spielberger's book on the StuG, and ofcourse the links to AFV Interiors and the Finnish StuG site. Alittle thin in the research department is what I'm trying to say!

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #8

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
  • Thank you received: 561
No worries, that's what we are all here for B)

I haven't started yet any more yet, I'm keeping it to the three for now :lol: I might use two of the figures from the Ausf E for one of the builds though
The following user(s) said Thank You: agyoung33

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #9

• Bishop
If you find any interior shots for this that would be great. I haven't found anything except the shots with the top off on the interiors site. I wouldn't know where to start with an interior for this. All I've done is swap out the crap two piece gun for the spare one from the 251/22. Looks much better than the two piece thing that comes with the kit. Makes one always want to buy metal barrels. Andrew does your E come with an interior?

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #10

• Bishop
Another read of this and I'm now wondering if I'll bother with an interior. I notice that it doesn't even come with a mount for the gun. Oh well. We'll deal with that as it comes. I think you'd make a cracking good interior for this. That will give me something to work from.

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #11

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Bishop wrote: Another read of this and I'm now wondering if I'll bother with an interior. I notice that it doesn't even come with a mount for the gun. Oh well. We'll deal with that as it comes. I think you'd make a cracking good interior for this. That will give me something to work from.

I don't know Bish. The more I think of it, the more I'm veering towards doing a good, decent job on this instead of merely making it for a paint experiment/holiday from the Tiger I. I'm curently searching through my spares box looking for stuff. I think I will sacrifice the radios from the other Academy Tiger, the Pak 40 from my Italeri RSO and other little bits and bobs. That's a decent amount of stuff that I wouldn't have to do a major amount of "widdling" for the interior.

As I said, I do have the Spielberger book, and this does provide some nice line schematics of the ausf C/D interior - particularly a side on view which would then make things alot easier. It's just maths after that.

The same book has detail interior shots of an ausf E, a general shot of an ausf F/8 pre and post drive train installation, and a detailed section on the lengthened 7.5cm. I'm going to have to cobble all of this info into this build so it should be fun. I'll PM you with info if you like as I get organised.

I'm coming around to an adjustment of thinking. I'm going to try and make this the best I can, and I'll have the old IS2 to do as a paint experiment when I've finished the Tiger I.

Cheers
G :)

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #12

• Bishop
Anything you can find would be great. I can get hold of that book too. I shall cut that section out tonight and brave.

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #13

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Andrew wrote: No worries, that's what we are all here for B)

I haven't started yet any more yet, I'm keeping it to the three for now :lol: I might use two of the figures from the Ausf E for one of the builds though

Thanks mate - awful nice o' ya!

And my heads hurting now, and I've only got 2 kits on the go! :lol:

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #14

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Bishop wrote: Anything you can find would be great. I can get hold of that book too. I shall cut that section out tonight and brave.

Ok Bish, I'll be in contact. Might be afew days from now, when I can get to the work copier. I imagine sometime tonight you'll be knee deep in plastic shavings!! :lol:

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #15

• Bishop
That's the plan.

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #16

• Dean
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
  • Thank you received: 44
Which book is the Spielberger one ? I thought I had them all but don't seem to have that one.

You sound like me, if I started it and didn't add the detail from the start I just know I'd regret it and try to add it in later on when it was much more difficult to do.

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...
Last Edit: by Dean.

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #17

• Bishop
Exactly what happened with the Tamiya StuG G. Its one of his in the same series as the Panther etc. Called Sturmgeshutz and its Variants

www.amazon.com/Sturngeschutz-Its-Variant...litary/dp/0887403980

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #18

• Dean
Yup, just checked and I do have it, got all four and didn't even realise it.

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #19

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, what a great day! I worked from home today, give myself some break time to tinker every now and then - work on the Stug, and this evening went out and saw a play. Marvellous!!

I come back and Bish has exploded with another StuG build!! Seems like everyones building one these days...what about you Dean? :P

Anyway, minor update time.

Abit of minor surgury was needed to the patient. On either side of the superstructure are sponsoons that house radios (of all things). So, it was out with the drill set. Used the kit part as a template and "poof"... I don't know if it's the water around here, but this was a pretty easy job, as was it's mate on the other side.

The plastic seems to be perfect for this. Not too hard, not too maleable. Just right.

In the following piccy, I noticed that the inside lip which helps sit the superstructure was starting to bother me - so I checked up with the resources and decided that had to go as well.

Before

After

Now, the hull sides, and the superstructure should all sit flush.

I finished off the day by; filling in all the sink holes in the superstructure; enlarged the hole for the sighting periscope in the roof; sanded off the four bolts which line up with the "hole". Alittle over zealous with the last one. It's meant to be curved rather than straight.

You can safely say that there's going to be another mess around here when I sand that down tomorrow! :cheer:

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #20

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Dean wrote: You sound like me, if I started it and didn't add the detail from the start I just know I'd regret it and try to add it in later on when it was much more difficult to do.

Yeah, you know you are going to have to break something - either accidentally or on purpose- just to get at the little bleeder. May as well do it now!

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #21

• Dean
wow that's a lot of surgery

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #22

• Bishop
Following as you go. I'll have to do this as well. So you've traced and cut. Gaz, why did you widen the periscope hatch, was it too small on the model or is the hatch only partly opened and I need to check before asking such questions? That's all looking very clean. You're very good with the sink holes. If I can't see them then I leave them be.

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #23

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Yep trace and cut. Really simple stuff.

About the new hole I cut in the roof. If you look at the drawings in the Spielberger book for the "C/D" there's a slight, curved "round" that's been cut into the top roof armour. (page 47). Now, if you flip the kit superstructure over, note that DML have thinned the plastic alittle in anticipation of the kit owner cutting out just that "round". As for a real life explanation, perhaps the designers got some feedback from the field - give us more traverse!!!

Don't do what I did and cut away for merry glory (i.e. a straight cut) but follow the book and round her out alittle bit mate.

As for the sink holes, put the plastic on an angle up to the light. You should be able to see them as shadows. Like I said earlier, there is going to be some work in this kit!

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #24

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Dean wrote: wow that's a lot of surgery

I don't know man - I'm just full of beans today!!

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #25

• Bishop
Me too. That was easy plastic surgery. I can't get to the book at present, the beloved is on the computer. I'll check the underside. Otherwise all removed. I've been taking measurements and have started the cradle using some of the kit parts and the usual plastic. Also painted the G interior Hull red, plus the Dark yellow on the roof. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get the airbrush out this coming weekend and paint the rest of the camouflage. Anyway, back to this.

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #26

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Back again. Alittle here, alittle there....

Put some work into the back plate. It's an absolute mystery to me how I did it but I managed to salvage something from part A7, which is the grill underneath the rear deck. Coming as it was, with something like 8 thick plugs of sprue to clean up, it was a mission to clean up, and then to install.

I know that instructions are meant to serve you, to make things easier. Well, having been a good boy, and installed the torsion gear arms and the track tensioners in step 3, I found that the tensioners interferred with the fitting of the back plate in the next step. After abit of push and shove, we finally got there.

File Attachment:

File Name:
File Size: 0 KB

Having been caught out before by the kit, I checked the research and found that the pipes leading from the mufflers were the wrong angle, so I changed them. The one on the left is the corrected one.

And finally fitted to the rest of the hull.

Okay, so that's the end of the exterior for awhile. I'll look to fit a floor, a fire wall, and might even start on the weapon mount sometime. Hmm, that Tigers looking pretty tempting! :blink:
Attachments:

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #27

• Dean
When you've done this you should tackle something Italeri, it'll make you appreciate how little you had to do here.

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #28

• Glenn
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 491

Dean wrote: When you've done this you should tackle something Italeri, it'll make you appreciate how little you had to do here.

OH so true Dean,I have almost finished x2 Italeri builds in a row :evil:
And it is such a joy to be building a semi modern DML kit,it fits together,nice detail,next to no flash to clean off and very few places that need half a jar of mr surfacer.
Some say Italeri kits are for the ture model builder,maybe so.
The x2 that I have built have come out pretty good,but so much work for an average kit.

Good skills agyoung33,making progress on that classic kit.

Last Edit: by Glenn.

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #29

• Bishop
Very helpful hints there. I have these mufflers from the Pz III kits, I'll use them instead. I may even use the spare back plate, but I'll see what the Cyberhobby pieces are like. Same molds I guess. That's come up very well Gaz.

Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D 6 years 1 month ago #30

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Dean wrote: When you've done this you should tackle something Italeri, it'll make you appreciate how little you had to do here.

Ohh. Back in the late 80's I remember building their early Tiger I. Most frustrating thing I ever built. It looked wrong as I was building it. It looked wrong when I finsihed it, but I had neither the research or the skills to do anything about it. Didn't build an Italieri kit for years after that.

Much later I was intrigued by an article by John Prigent(?) and the corrections he made to Italieri's Panther A. He copped alot of flak at that time for using AM parts and his spares box to cover up the diffiencies of that kit. Well, ever up to the challenge I bought a Verlinden Panther transmission (cost me and arm and a leg), I nicked some wheels from a Dragon Artillery Obs. Panther, and I built as complete an interior as my research and skills would allow me.

I remember sanding what seemed like half the model off. It was an absolute b#####d to build. That model was the one that killed me off the last time. I gave the damn thing away in the end.

Cue the violin. :) :lol: :lol:

Moderators: Tony LeeBishopAndrewMaartenCyNaKyLGary1/35th Battalion