Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: New Japanese Layout

New Japanese Layout 4 months 1 week ago #61

• Grant
  • Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 442

Terry wrote: In the following post after the sand and plaster stage you started painting. Any particular paints used? I'm curious also about the colour and also if you thinned the paint to get the base white to bleed through giving the colour variation to rocks etc. Very natural looking.

I just use cheap acrylics, but they are always thinned in water so they are more of a wash than a paint, so that you can get the effect you note. If you let everything completely dry then you can continue to put on washes to darken it up or highlight etc. Painting plaster that hasn't been allowed to dry will leave a real mess.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Japanese Layout 3 months 4 weeks ago #62

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Exterior finished. From here on its basically modelling stuff. I've decided I need a better standard of building so I will be scratching some. We are headed to Japan for 10 days in August for a conference, so I will be doing some research on Japanese buildings then.

New Japanese Layout 3 months 2 weeks ago #63

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Detailing the foliage with more static grass, bushes colour etc. If you've been to Japan and ridden rural trains you might know how overgrown things get.

New Japanese Layout 3 months 1 week ago #64

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Heki trees added. About this number needed again I think to fill it out.

Video for reference:

New Japanese Layout 2 months 2 days ago #65

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Back from another trip to Japan. Got some details parts for the layout and also visited some hobby shops in Tokyo and Kyoto and did some shopping. :whistle:

We also went to this museum, partly because of the collection, but also because I was curious as to whether the Japanese Imperialism in the place was as bad as I've heard it is. (It is.) The place gives a shockingly biased account of the "Great East Asian War" that ignores events in Nanking (the Chinese army dressed up as civilians and were justly but severely punished), claims the Americans were drawn into a war because of an "oil blockade" (maybe technically true, but leaving out a particularly infamous event), that other Asian nations (e.g. Philippines, Malaysia) should be thankful to Japan for invading because it gave them a taste of freedom from their colonial oppressors :S, and does not mention an alliance with a certain European nation who wore very spiffy uniforms. "No Photos" in this part of the museum of course. The museum is apparently owned and funded by nationalists, but it is shameful for the Japanese people (who I find very agreeable) that this place continues to exist. Not to mention who is commemorated in the adjoining Yasukuni shrine. :dry:
Attachments:

Last Edit: by Grant.

New Japanese Layout 1 month 2 weeks ago #66

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

New Japanese Layout 1 month 2 weeks ago #67

• Henry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
I've got one of Trumpeters dampflokomotive BR86 to build at some point the only thing I'm having trouble with is it comes with a base with length of track and ballast for tracks I was thinking of paint them Tamiyas red brown and for ballast a light stone grey colour I'm just not sure what paint to use for this.

Thanks Henry

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary