Backscene time. I'm painting this in oils but will do a few more practice paintings before I commit. The hill shapes need changing and I need to work on the colours (ignore the dirty cloud in particular). I'm not much of a painter but think I can make this work. It is really just to give the scene a bit of depth. It shouldn't be too detailed/busy because this draws attention from the modelling.
I have been working on this background for the last week and a half, probably repainting it four or five times to make it a little more refined. Here is the final version. This will get a matte varnish in the next few days. You are meant to wait an age to varnish oils but this is touch dry and I need to move on with the build.
Some more progress. I had a go at arranging the various buildings. I've decided not to use the large abandoned warehouse on this layout because its size overwhelms everything else. That side of the layout will be less built up. I also finished laying the tracks. It's all glued down and will be soldered. I will also spend a bit of time tidying it up, filling gaps and the little track locating holes etc. Then it will get a paint. Finally I pushed some trains though by hand for a rough test of everything. I will wire it up and test properly next week. And then the fun part... scenery!
I've been putting in the hours on this. Hopefully you can see what I'm doing from the pictures without any commentary. It's almost ready for some plaster. On the computer are videos from our trip to Japan in 2017 for reference.