Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: Setting up a track and need advice please

Setting up a track and need advice please 3 years 2 months ago #1

• Polwarth
  • Polwarth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
My situation is that I have a large area, for this project but I have to share it with other interests. I have a couple of options I think.

1st I could use the pool table as the "legs" and out a base on the top that I can remove. Is there a clever way to put it away, I have plenty of roof space so could lift it up. One bonus I guess is access to every side of the set up

2nd I could look at a shelf type set up on a wall, but again I may have to put it away every now and then and I am not sure if this is easy , hard or even possible.

As this project develops I can see lots of small detail that will shift / fall off, I like the idea of changing the position of vehicles etc

I am looking at HO as my set up and know that the curves need a bit extra than other scales but I am set on HO as my scale for the project. I want to create a war setting from the 1940's and it appears that HO has a good range of extras that will fit with this theme.

In my mind there is no point reinventing the wheel and I am sure someone has faced this problem and can share their thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Setting up a track and need advice please 3 years 2 months ago #2

• Powder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • M
  • Thank you received: 373
When I was young we had a slot-car setup on a board that had sheaves (rope pulleys) at each corner and the ropes went around some more sheaves attached to the roof trusses on the garage. When it was time to race, the car was backed out of the garage and the whole set up was carefully lowered onto some trestles.
It all stayed horizontal and was pretty quick to raise & lower.
I think we later modified the sheaves so they unhooked from the board and them and the ropes could be pulled back up out of the way.

Last Edit: by Powder.

Setting up a track and need advice please 3 years 2 months ago #3

• hazenz17
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
I have seen your 1st idea I action and worked great. They used hand winch of a boat trailer to lift it up and lower it down

The best thing in life are scratch built

Setting up a track and need advice please 3 years 2 months ago #4

• Polwarth
  • Polwarth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes I have been thinking about it all day and a winch was one thought I had. I like that it will be easy and quick. Funny enough was out in the shed today and my kayak is hanging from a similar arrangement.

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary