TOPIC: Hornby Dublo Set off my uncle not working,

Hornby Dublo Set off my uncle not working, 7 years 5 months ago #1

• Smithy
  • Smithy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi,
I got an old Hornby Dublo Set off my uncle, No 2019 2-6-4 Train Goods Set Manufactured by Meccano LTD, The engine doesn't seem to work, everything turns and have tried voltage directory to the terminals but nothing.
Anybody got any ideas or know where i can get some instructions on pulling it apart? it has one copper colored spring in the brushes and a shorter stainless one with a homemade Brush on the other side so I'm guessing there has been running repairs done at some stage

Hope you can all help

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Hornby Dublo Set off my uncle not working, 7 years 5 months ago #2

• bikingmike
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi there, and welcome to the forums (if you haven't been made welcome already by the big cheese!).

Original intact sets like that are quite collectible, and send Dublo collectors into a frenzy. That said, I've no idea of what it would be worth.

Re: the non-operation of the locomotive, it may be that it needs nothing more than a clean up on the contacts.

First check that that there is power coming out of the power supply, hooking up a multi-meter to it will soon tell you. If there is, you can then use the meter to start probing around the locomotive and checking the wiring and contacts. There should be little or no resistance along a given wiring route.

There may be clubs locally that could help you, the laws of physics and electricity haven't changed since these were built so it should not be too much of a problem for someone with a bit of nous.

I'd also suggest doing a Google search and see if there are any Hornby Dublo forums, train collectors are fairly gregarious so I'm sure there should be a few out there. Most people on forums are quite knowledgeable and should be able to assist you.

I'd be cautious of just sending it off for repair to someone you don't know however, there are rogues out there unfortunately.

Hope this helps

Mike

Re: Hornby Dublo Set off my uncle not working, 7 years 2 months ago #3

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

bikingmike wrote: Hi there, and welcome to the forums (if you haven't been made welcome already by the big cheese!).

Original intact sets like that are quite collectible, and send Dublo collectors into a frenzy. That said, I've no idea of what it would be worth.

Re: the non-operation of the locomotive, it may be that it needs nothing more than a clean up on the contacts.

First check that that there is power coming out of the power supply, hooking up a multi-meter to it will soon tell you. If there is, you can then use the meter to start probing around the locomotive and checking the wiring and contacts. There should be little or no resistance along a given wiring route.

There may be clubs locally that could help you, the laws of physics and electricity haven't changed since these were built so it should not be too much of a problem for someone with a bit of nous.

I'd also suggest doing a Google search and see if there are any Hornby Dublo forums, train collectors are fairly gregarious so I'm sure there should be a few out there. Most people on forums are quite knowledgeable and should be able to assist you.

I'd be cautious of just sending it off for repair to someone you don't know however, there are rogues out there unfortunately.

Hope this helps

Mike

yeah, what he said! :lol: Seriously, checking with a local model railroading club, or even a good hobby store that sells a broad ranger of MRR gear should be able to get that locomotive squared away.

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary