Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: Modular Railroading

Modular Railroading 7 years 7 months ago #1

• Grant
  • Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 442
I've thought for a while that modular railroading is the future and I want to get involved in it, so I'm going to try to start up a group in Christchurch. To have the best shot of it actually working I reckon it needs to be in the most popular/cheapest/most readily available scale. That seems to be HO (at least in American prototype which I'm committed to). HO is also more practical for modules in my experience. I'd probably use the Free-mo standard.

So, should I build an HO module? Or N? :whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Modular Railroading 7 years 7 months ago #2

• bikingmike
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Do it!!!! Freemo HO would be the way to go; N-track and HO-track modules looks so regimented and boring, I think Freemo is the way ahead. I don't know of any Freemo clubs, or of any groups actually getting together to have a session; it seems to be poo-pooed a bit over here. Maybe a lot of MRR'S are luddites at heart.

The sheer cost of N scale is largely what's kept me away from it, and sticking to HO.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

Re: Modular Railroading 7 years 7 months ago #3

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
This is all go, I even have the timber for a module in the garage left over from the layout. I'm in two minds about which scale though. N would be good for me personally, but I think HO would be the better option for most other people. :dry: I can collect two scales right? :cheer:

Re: Modular Railroading 7 years 7 months ago #4

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Also, I've been looking at HO free-mo standards and I think they will need to be altered slightly to suit NZ.

Re: Modular Railroading 7 years 7 months ago #5

• bikingmike
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

Grant wrote: This is all go, I even have the timber for a module in the garage left over from the layout. I'm in two minds about which scale though. N would be good for me personally, but I think HO would be the better option for most other people. :dry: I can collect two scales right? :cheer:

More than one scale is not only normal, it's healthy... :P

Re: adapting the standards for NZ, is that just coz we're metric and the US is obstinately holding out using their own bizarre version of imperial measurements? :D

I did look at the standards once, in some areas they were a bit anal especially with regards to the types of ballast and ground covers used. I guess the choice of DCC system to be used would be a major point of discussion.

Cheers

Mike

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary