Well seems to be a cross between modelling and miniature engineering at the moment. This is the process to modify the cylinder ends from the BR 52 kitset to the size suitable for Garratt. Originals on the right, reduced to new diameter at the bottom, new cylinder flanges turned down and drilled with twenty 0.8 mm holes each. At the top are all the rejects due to incorrectly spaced holes or wrong diameter.
I'm really questioning if this thing will ever get finished:P
Oh instant motivation. I have been asked to exhibit the layout at Hobby Expo in Upper Hutt in April. As the layout has been in storage for two years and not assembled since there is lots of checking to do and sorting out minor damage not to mention moving on a population of Daddy Long Legs spiders.
Gary wrote: Well done mate, nice one.
How did they hear about your work then?
I used to be a member of IMPS Wellington before overseas posting and exhibited the layout in its original form of just two baseboards. The layout is very much a large scale model diorama, the railway is only a means to showing how the railway was also effected by the war.
The layout has grown somewhat. I'm currently building legs for the layout as it is now too difficult to assemble sitting on tables as originally planned.
Islander progress. I've removed the passenger seats mounting points but otherwise OOTB. One usual thing, there are no aliment points on any matching part so wing, engine cowlings, wheels etc are all lined up by eye which means every part needs filing smooth on the backside to ensure good alignment. I've decided to assemble for display in flight to match my other 1/48 RhAF aircraft because this one would require a lot of added weight in the nose to sit correctly on the tricycle undercarriage (which does not loo overly strong).
Lined up by eye works just fine. Often use it. Trouble is my glasses bend things either upwards or downwards depending on the angle I look through them, which is why all my models resemble bananas. This plane doesn't so all is well.