PCM 1/32 Mk XIV Spitfire

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Woadism
  • Woadism's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1 by Woadism
Some ~ 6 years ago I ordered this kit with intent to get stuck in and build it for my Dad (dressed up as one of the Spitfires my Grandad flew).

I'd only recently got back into the hobby though, and quickly realised (due to inexperience, and the short-run nature of the kit) some of the challenges (a mix of my own making, and shortcomings of the kit - but mostly mine) were beyond me, and I wasn't getting the results I hoped for - especially with the resin parts, and etch. I took photos as I went, recording some of those initial efforts:

I'm taking this one off the shelf again, with a few changes planned. It'll be in-flight - a pilot+seat replacement is on its way from BNA - and wheels up. I may need to scratch some wheel bay covers, because the originals weren't made to fit the gear wells. I had wrecked the PE for the radiators, so I'm working out whether I want to think of a replacement for that, or just leave it dark. Lots of putty-work and re-scribing ahead, and I'll need to make stencils or decals for some of the markings too (just letters/numbers). I also want to turn some kauri I have into a base for it.

More to come...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #2 by Terry
Don't be too hard on yourself about these short run kits. Sword who moulded the kit for PCM have some infuriating practices like the total absence of location tabs :huh: , but this kit will build into a very good example with persistance and hard work from what I've seen on the web. Looking good so far. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woadism

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #3 by Gary
These PCM kits are actually pretty nice, they are hard work for the uninitiated but once done they don't look too bad.
Here's my PCM metal wing Hurricane, was a bit of a dog in places but it got there in the end.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #4 by Fritz

Gary wrote: These PCM kits are actually pretty nice, they are hard work for the uninitiated but once done they don't look too bad.
Here's my PCM metal wing Hurricane, was a bit of a dog in places but it got there in the end.

That is a gorgeous Hurricane Gary

And that cockpit is looking gorgeous to Woodsim!

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

• Woadism
  • Woadism's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago #5 by Woadism
Great looking Hurricane, Gary - nice to see how sharp these kits can end up with a bit of patience. Nice bright light-boxing, too.

& thanks for the encouraging words!

Snapshot update:

This is pretty much how it came down off the shelf: I had put all the main parts together (although the rear stabilisers had been knocked off at some point), and started the putty work. Unfortunately I had installed the spinner without giving it any love, so it has some part-alignment issues which warrant a little sanding stick attention.

A few more odd things I noticed I'd done before, which will need attention: based on the gap between the curve of the forward canopy piece and the fuselage, it looks like I'd sanded it down too flat - to be corrected; Also, I didn't paint any internal fuselage behind the seat rear-most line of the back piece of the canopy - maybe that won't be so visible once it's all buttoned up though...

On the to-do list: the stabilisers will need some kind of supporting bar; and because it's in-flight, I will need to work up the side-door interior (but for now, it stays off to let the installation of the pilot easier - and he will admittedly obscure things a bit); also I need to plan up some cutting patterns for the markings and talk to whoever it is here that does stencils for a modest fee...

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary