Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: NZ Civil aircraft Decals HELP needed

NZ Civil aircraft Decals HELP needed 2 weeks 6 days ago #1

• 1/35th Battalion
  • 1/35th Battalion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 225
Hi folks

I am about to undertake a wee bird kit. A Cessna 172 (an older ESCI kit in 1/48) ( Really nice external and interior detail albeit a little on the heavy side)
I'd like to paint it and serial it as a New Zealand aircraft and need decals with which I can create ZK AST serial numbers for the sides of the airframe.
Can anyone help me out with decals or point me to where I might purchase something to create that serial with. The serial number is an invention although may actually exist. The aircraft is what my partner qualified and gained her PPL on 20 odd years ago, and it is her birthday this month. Thought I'd make a little something for her.
Happy to pay for decals and shipping . . . .

All help appreciated

Cheers
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

NZ Civil aircraft Decals HELP needed 2 weeks 5 days ago #2

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1051
Cool idea Dave and was actually thinking of doing something similar myself with a custom serial number NZ Echo Oscar Gulf, the first plane I flew in. Perhaps G1 can help with some custom laser cut stencils?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1/35th Battalion

NZ Civil aircraft Decals HELP needed 2 weeks 5 days ago #3

• yak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 176
Could you use some letter decal sheets? Ventura do them in different scales. Also John form old model decals do them and he also does custom decals, He made up westpac decals for one of Hadleys flying windmills. Or there is the pressure type like these
Attachments:

Rob

Currently hacking away at:
1/1 Micro Ace M7 Bayonet (round two) Finished
1/24 Panel shop Dio
GW Space marine land speeder
1/72 Airfix RAF rescue launch (All at sea group build)

NZ Civil aircraft Decals HELP needed 2 weeks 5 days ago #4

• 1/35th Battalion
Hey cheers for the ideas chaps, much appreciated.
I'd go with John from Old Models Decals except for the fact that he takes a minimum 3 months for special orders, and I need them yesterday-ish.
Those sheets of letraset brought back some memories. I once upon a time had hundreds of sheets of those prior to computers being the method I use to make graphics with. Gave them away to some young fella a few years back. DUH.
Wouldn't have helped though. Cessna aircraft of the type I am modelling generally have registration codes which are slanted backwards - It's the fastback look, and each side is different.
See the image below . . .

The rego number on the opposite side, although it still reads from left to right, is slanted backwards.

I've at least made up the graphics for them, and may attempt to cut them in to tape.

Back to the desk. Oh, did I mention this is a crappy kit? Shocking fit, no alignment pins from mid fuselage forward, panel lines more like tram lines blah blah blah . . .
Ertl/ESCI 1981. hmmmmm.

toodle . . .
Attachments:

On the Bench:
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

NZ Civil aircraft Decals HELP needed 2 weeks 4 days ago #5

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 163
Hey mate ZK AST is registered as a Tecnam Astore, so not a 172. I love doing these types of builds!!! I've mocked up a Cherokee i got my rating in and the tomahawk i got my PPL in, the trick is the slant they are on, in the end i used a sharp knife a calculator and some Tamiya tape.

If you stand back and think about it you can mask most of it.... i managed to mask the tomahawk logo which wasn't easy!!!

Attachments:

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

NZ Civil aircraft Decals HELP needed 2 weeks 4 days ago #6

• 1/35th Battalion
Cheers FK . . . I'm doing AST simply because my partner is ASTARTE. Not looking for the validity of the code simply the personalisation of this build for her birthday gift.
I am seriously contemplating masking the code but it's the 'S' that may prove the tricky bit. :S :dry:
I've used the program 'Freehand' to lay up the codes and get the slant just so for each side. I'll use a light-box and trace those on to tape and see how I go cutting them out.
Blimey they are small . . .;) :dry:

onward

or is that upward . . . . when you're building aircraft? :P

On the Bench:

Last Edit: by 1/35th Battalion.

NZ Civil aircraft Decals HELP needed 2 weeks 3 days ago #7

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 163
All good mate i love fooling around with aircraft rego ideas .... if i ever get my own plane (not shared) I've been thinking about registering it as ZK-LJD (my initials) but that's taken by a Super Cub owned by Canterbury Aero club, would love to register it as ZK-YHF (Yankee Hotel Foxtrot my favorite 'Wilco' album) best rego i ever saw was on a Tommie, it was ZK-EZI, sadly that suffered a crash coming off the runway at Kaikoura...on plus side tho the rego is up for grabs.......

As you say 'S' would be a pain! never had to do it,.... DMF and EBI the B was a pain in the ass.

Astarte, huh into Black Metal? ;-)

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeBishopAndrewMaartenCyNaKyLGary1/35th Battalion