TOPIC: 1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 **FINISHED**

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 **FINISHED** 3 years 3 months ago #1

• grover
  • grover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1205
Every year for as long as I can remember I'be sat down on the first Sunday of every October to watch The Great Race, the Tooheys, James Hardey, Bathurst 1000.
As Jerremy Clarkson put it one, every year Ford and Holden (GM) fans would meet once a year for a fight. To understand it, you have to realise how parochial Aussie and Kiwi car nuts can be about Ford and Holden, the 2 major makes in Aussie since they had an automobile industry. Babies have been named, legends have been made and families have been split over the holy war that is Ford vs Holden. So the late 80s and early 90s was an amazing time when for the first time, the rules allowed different makes to compete. First came the BMW M3s, and then the Ford Sierra Cosworths and Nissan Skyline GTRs came and conquered the "Mountain" and both Ford and Holden. This was tantamount to heresy that 4 and 6 pot cars, with witchcraft powering the wheels would beat the locally built rear wheel drive V8s. It was in this era that the legend of Godzilla was born.

One race that really stuck in my memory, and was pivotal in cementing the legend of Godzilla, at least in a young 19 year old, was the 1992 race. The Skyline GTR had been so successful at the Aussie Touring Car Championship that it was being outlawed, to the delight of the Ford and Holden masses. 1992 was it's final year, and of course it led the race for the whole day when, the heavens opened with a few laps left to go, and the sky fell on the track. Cars were going off left right and centre and the locals saw an opportunity for a local car to win the race when the lead GTR crashed. Unfortunately for the fans, the officials red flagged the race, and declared the GTR the winner. At the podium, the victors were met with booos from the crowd, starved of a local winner for a number of years. They felt robbed that a car that had crashed could be named the winner. I think it was my natural tendency to not follow the crowd that endeared me to the GTR, along with its phenomenal performance and horny looks, so when the plucky Kiwi driver 'Gentleman' Jim Richards stood on the podium in 1992, and called the booing fans a "Pack of A$$holes", I became a fan through and through.

The R32 from that period was my favorite, especially in Gun Metal, followed closely by the R34. While the current R35 is an amazing car, the fact that these earlier cars were based off normal Skylines that you could actually afford to buy made them more of a common mans supercar. Something you could really aspire to. The R32s are now fading from our roads. It's illegal to import them into New Zealand, as and much as I would love one in real life, it would be both impractical and uneconomic. So this hobby allows me the next best thing, to have one in 1/24 scale.

This is also for a Japanese Group Build at Flory's, hence the phone showing the date.

Box and Sprue shots

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer
Last Edit: by grover.

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #2

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
Somewhere, stashed away - possibly never to be found again :P , I have posters from that very era and of that very car.
"Gentleman" Jim Richards and Godzilla will be my heroes all the way to the grave and an R35 is still near the top of my Automotive bucket list. :woohoo:
REALLY going to be watching this one Kane . . . . ;)

I have met Jim Richards several times and the moniker "Gentleman" certainly holds true.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grover

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !
Last Edit: by 1/35th Battalion.

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #3

• Powder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • M
  • Thank you received: 373
From someone who went to the Wellington street race every year from 1987 thru '92 - Excellent choice!!! :woohoo:

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #4

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1165
Nice! Great write up there mate :)

I'm sure you will do it justice dude, going to look forward to seeing this one come together.

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #5

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Nice Dave. I've always liked Jim Richard's style. I don't think that kind of race car driver exists any more. Not that there's anything wrong with the current crop, just the world is in love with superstars, so it makes them out of everyone.

I would have loved to have been at one of the Wellington street races Malcolm. Seeing the sierras zooming around really left an impression. Wouldn't it be great to have another street race in NZ.

Thanks K2, I hope I can do it justice. I have some gravity paints coming that can hopefully match the gunmetal colour closely enough.

Kane

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #6

• yak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 238
Nice one Kane. Everything you said could have come from my own mouth although for me it gos back to the first time the aussies had a cry about turbo Nissan's smoking there much loved fords and holdens. The old group c days. Jim Richards was in a BMW 635CSi Allan Moffat in a Mazda RX 7 Tom Walkinshaw a Jaguar XJS V12 Dick Johnson and Peter Brock in the V8 XF Falcon and VB commodore all cool cars but Gorge Fury in the 1.8/2.0Lt Turbo Bluebird was the one for me it competed for two complete seasons 83/84 winning the 83 championship and in 1984 the last year for the class he set the lap record at Bathurst which stood until Skaife bet it in the GTR in 1990 which then stood until Murphy topped it in 02? I have posters and diecast of the GTR from the three years it campaigned but a few years back we needed some cash quick so i sold my diecast of the 92 winfield car which Mark had signed for me :( Anyway i'll be watching can't wait to see you bring it to life and if you want the real colour i could make you up a bit and you could pick it up if you come down to taupo for the hobby expo

Rob
Favorite quote: "Terry" No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car "on hold"
1/24 Fujimi Nissan 180SX "FINISHED"

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #7

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Shit that would be brilliant Yak. I would love some of the real colour. Shouldn't need much should I, and yeah I'm hoping to come down to Taupo.
Also brings up something I've been meaning to ask. How does the scale affect work with auto paints, especially metallics? Ive seen people's car builds and when they use metallics especially, the paint for me ruins the scale effect because it looks like a model painted with auto paints.

As for the older Group C races, I vaguely remember those races. I definitely remember Wilkinshaw's XJ-12. Man that was a stunning car to look at.

Kane

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #8

• yak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
50ml is what i normally make up to do a body shell and yes some of the coarser metallics can look off but there fine if you're doing a hot rod and want a custom look. Sometimes i just replace the coarse metallic in the formula with a finer one and it looks fine doesn't normally change the color just the coarseness. If you look at my 300 in the panel beater model i'm doing, the body i replaced the coarse mett with a finer one but that was painted so long ago i forgot i had and when i painted the engine bay and the damaged bonnet the other week i left the coarser mett in. I'll check the color for the skyline out on monday pretty sure it uses the finer mett

Rob
Favorite quote: "Terry" No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #9

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Yak. What kind of paint do you use? Are they lacquers?

Kane

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #10

• yak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
We use Glasurit a german brand which is a modified polyester i'll thin it so it's ready to go in your airbrush.

Rob

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #11

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cheers mate. That's brilliant?

Kane

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #12

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 131
Eyes wide open watching this one :woohoo:

Michael

Cheers Michael

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #13

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 517
COOL KANE!!!!
Will be watching this with huge interest as well.
I also remember the Godzilla ATC days when the turbos were so so dominant. Should do the RS500 next eh?
I also remember going to Wellington with my brother to watch the street races, when Radisich was dominant in the Mondeo, then the turbos showed up...still awesome to watch.

Dave

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #14

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cheers guys.

Kane

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #15

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Nice choice of monster car Kane
Watching here :woohoo:

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #16

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
  • Thank you received: 591
Sweet. Have always loved the GT-R, though not as much now since they moved away from the RB26DETT

Have had this kit a couple of times, have never managed to complete it.

Will you be doing any mods to it? I like how they give you an engine and gearbox for this :woohoo:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #17

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cheers guys. Just started a new contract this week. I havent really worked all year, been home most of the time waiting for my old job to sort itself out. The new contract has me travelling from Auckland to Hamilton and back 4 days a week. Safe to say I've been too knackered to do anything. Went and looked at the kit last night and did a little bit of work, then lost heart and went to bed. Need to take a fresh approach to it, and will hopefully get a chance tonight.

Kane

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #18

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1165
Yeah don't push it mate, wait until you're into building some models before you go again. If I push it, I end up doing a less than perfect job, and screw things up, then don't care...

You'll be back into it soon enough :) Good on ya for a new contract though!

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #19

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 517
Yeah K1, agree with K2 matey...take your time, itll still be there waiting for yah when the time comes...you should stay in Hamilton a couple of nights to keep yourself fresh

Dave

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #20

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cheers guys. I think the major hurdle was working out how to approach the build with all the parts needing special attention and requiring different colours.
Looking at the seats they are nice, but there is a mold line around them so I took the sander to it to smooth everything out. There is also an ejector pin mark that needed taking care of and a couple of holes in the bottom of the backs. You probably wouldn't see them but I decided to look after them as well

There are ejector pin marks in other areas too, such as on the back parcel shelf, and on the cabin floor.

I filled and sanded the ones on the parcel shelf. The ones on the floor just got flattened a bit. The floor will be covered in flock so I wasnt worried about these too much.

Kane

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #21

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The bonnet is clear but I'll be painting it. There's no mechanism to raise it so I wont glue it in place at all. The actual body is great. There are no mold lines whatsoever.

The engine block and gearbox are two halves like most auto kits from my (limited) knowledge. Nice enough given a lot will be hidden.

Finally, I decided to start getting other parts off the sprues in some kind of order. Using my foam bases I have marked areas for different base colours. There's a foam base for metallics, and one split for Semi-Gloss black and Dark (German) grey.

All my build so far have had areas I am not happy with that I only notice properly after I paint them and I've taken photos. Because of this, I'm trying to learn from these experiences and cleaning up as much as possible so the exhaust got a big sand to remove as much of the mold line as I could without losing shape or detail. I hope it pays off. Because i only usually notice the issues in the photos I may have to use a visor and go over everything carefully before paint.

Kane

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #22

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Looks great so far Kane
She's going to look a beauty when done :)

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #23

• Powder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • M
Good idea organising the foam pads. I don't know how many times I've finished spraying a colour, cleaned out the air-brush, then looked around and spotted something that missed being painted. :pinch:

I'd also forgotten about Tamiya's clear body panels. I don't know if their latest kits still have them but I remember when they started offering them in the '80s and all the modelling magazines raved about this amazing new concept. The only one I remember building was the 1/12 VFR750R - but like you I just painted over it.

Anyway it looks like you're off to a good start. There was a white R32 parked around the corner from my place a couple of days ago (the guy always has interesting cars at his place). It looked very nice but I'm sure you'll have the gun-metal looking just as good.

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #24

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Powder wrote: I'd also forgotten about Tamiya's clear body panels. I don't know if their latest kits still have them but I remember when they started offering them in the '80s and all the modelling magazines raved about this amazing new concept.

The Merc 300SL has the option for a clear body to show the birdcage chassis. That's on the to-do list.

A white GTR is a bit rare too. I can picture James May doing a David Attenborough, quietly observing the rare albino Godzilla :silly:

Kane

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #25

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Definitely not the most exciting part of the build, most of the parts are now off the sprues and sanded. I have a much better idea of where everything is going now as well. Tomorrow I hope to start priming. After that I know I will be re-sanding but i'll celebrate this milestone nonetheless. ;)

Kane

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #26

• Nosferatu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 535
The time and attention will pay off in the end K1...I'm trying to be more attentive with the F-14 too.. lotsa part prepping and dry fitting...It is certainly paying off with that! This being a Tamiya kit you should be sweet tho! Keep up the good work!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #27

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
While waiting for Wifey to do some of the housework so I could vacuum and mop (my job) I decided to do the first coat of primer. Not that I'm in favour of doing multiple coats, but in my case it's inevitable as I always find areas I need to fix up. Parts like the rims here are actually going to get a coat of metallics, and so will also have a gloss black applied. Adding stynylrez however is great for showing up areas I need to fix, self levels, and sands so well, there's no issue on using it first.

All 3 trays got a coat before I moved on to the larger body parts. Actually, just writing this I realise I forgot the bonnet. Whoops. True to form, I have discovered a ton of parts that need more clean up. The blemishes may never be seen but Murphy must have been an ancestor as his Law gives me a good kicking each time I forget about it.

Kane
Last Edit: by grover.

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #28

• Powder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • M
That primer colour will be much easier to work with for sorting out the moulding flaws. I always find very dark/black or white plastic are the worst to work with. Thankfully a lot of kit makers use grey or tan coloured plastic these days.

Tamiya have certainly captured the lines of the R32 nicely. They were way ahead of the other 1/24 kit makers in the '80s. Fujimi had some real shockers - unfortunately their E30 BMW M3 was one of them and I don't think anyone else has done it in plastic.

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #29

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 496
Cool subject and I remember watching that race as well with my brother all those years ago.
Sadly, haven't been able to watch the V8's since they moved from free to air telly. *Sniff* :(

1/24 Godzilla - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 3 years 3 months ago #30

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cheers VD and Powder. Yup, Tamiya really have built this beautifully.
I don't watch a lot of racing on TV any more VD. I should do but so many other things take my attention. But I don't have pay tv either

Kane
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary