Got a couple of coats of paint on the body but I think it still needs one or two more where the white areas around the striped are showing through. Resisting lathering them with paint. Keep hearing you guys in my head saying "layers"
Im looking at using som Tamiya Smoke to add some oilish effects to the engine and drive train. Will also look at the chalks you mentioned Dave ..... On Payday
Tiger wrote: Hey there Grover, this is looking good
If you are going to dirty it up a little a couple of options would be :
1 Get a little white glue, watered down, mix with some weathering powder ( make not critical ) and apply in small areas on chassis and lower parts of the truck by flicking off with a stiff old brush. this creates dried mud effect.
I use chalk pastels from Warehouse Stationary cheep and work well.
2 Spray a really light dusting of Tamiya Buff or any other light dusty colour on lower panels etc to create dust build up.
There is a chap on the Plamo Tsukurou site that dirties up a Subaru WRC car.
Check that out it looks pretty cool.
Nice clip... any thoughts in what he sprayed at the 6min mark?
Plus in the part 1 of this build someone needs to buy this guy an extractor fan lol
The automatic translation leads to a bunch of lols. I know you can spray clay based washes. It may not have been clay based but maybe pigment with some binding agent Michael?
Thanks Glenn, I will be muddying them up a bit, but not too much. Just giving it a used look.
The front grill is ready and just waiting to be mated to the bonnet.... i mean hood
Im going to give this a good few days drying time then attack it with some polishing compound before the final coats go on.
Same with these. The side panels where I haven't sprayed any white are looking really nice though. Can't wait to clear them up. All of the body panels including the cab need some satin black on them. Masking the cab is going to be a bitch.
So it doesn't look like much has changed but another coat of paint has the body looking quite nice. There are some blemishes and I have tried so Tamiya fine compound to polish it up but it isn't coming right so I'm hoping the clear coat will clean it up a little. It will always be a challenge to keep the body parts clean in the space I have. The colour is also looking very purple so I will do one more coat today in the Model Air Blue I started with and see if that lightens it up some.
I bought a few washing from Might Ape (yup G1, used the link ) and applied some of the Citadel Nuln Oil to the engine and its made it look a but more used. Will be doing more weathering to the underside and panels once I get them on.
Looks to be a nice flat coat with the blue. Should look really nice with a coat of gloss on it.
I did a 57 Chevy in my youth and sprayed it all gloss black from an aerosol.
The result was an absolute shocker as I hadn't a clue about what I was doing... still don't really.
Kind of put me off doing another car kit
Thanks guys, she's coming along. I'm doing little bits and pieces now, trying to get her finished without rushing and stuffing up. Hopefully tomorrow I'll do another clear, then decals, clear wash and final gloss and assembly
So much like my last build things seem to go a bit pear shaped at the end, but it's down to inexperience. Brush painting on a clear coat didnt go too well once the coat started running and drying. I sanded it back it but to also get rid of some of the dust that had settled on it and the bonnet developed some cracks in the clear I was hoping another coat would sort out but it hasnt. I was tempted to strip the paint again but I have added some decals. Also the Alclad has gotten beat up a bit from touching it. Im pushing on though and got the windows installed, seeing that the interior wasnt looking all that nice afterwards, and I really should have given it a paint.
I'm really happy with the way the lights have come out though and have started muddying up the body panels to hide some of the paint deficiencies. I don't think I'll stick with the dirt colour though, I'll go for more of a urban concrete weather effect.