TOPIC: Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #2

• grover
  • grover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1205
OK, so some basic plans. Let me know if I'm heading towards some pain.

- Even though a lot of the chassis and suspension parts are back, I will build them, prime and repaint them. Im thinking about gloss or semi gloss back.
- I have Tamiya silver and Tamiya Aluminium, as well as a decent selection of Alclad metals. I will use the Tamiya Aluminium on the brake rotors, hand paint the calipers in the blue of the body work and leave the Alclads for the exhaust, engine with chrome for the headers and parts of the supercharger.
- Instead of painting and the scraping the paint away when i glue parts together, I'm going to try and be clever and mask the areas to be glued without masking too much so there visible areas to be unpainted.

What I'm not sure at the moment is what to do with the chrome body parts. If I sprayed them with Alclad, would the chrome paint underneath react with the alclads? I'll be spraying an alclad back gloss base first, or should I prime, then black base, then chrome top?
If one part needs both Alclad and acrylic paints, which one do I do first? I'll be nervous about masking.

One problem I see is masking the tail gate where "Super Duty" is embossed into the bodywork. That will create some masking challenges so advice around that would be awesome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #3

• Viperbuilder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 453
That looks to be a nice kit and very well done by Meng. It'll be good to see it morph into the finished product in due course.

Paint the black suspension parts semi-gloss black for sure. If you paint them gloss black they start to look very toy-like and detract from your model.

Deal to the chromed parts with Mr Muscle oven cleaner. It removes the toy-like chrome and doesn't affect the plastic. Use your black gloss lacquer as a base to spray the de-chromed parts and then use the appropriate shade of Alclad aluminium to match the alloy wheels and use Alclad chrome for the actual chrome work on the vehicle (e.g. grill, bumper and headlight surrounds). It looks far more in scale.

The general behaviour of paint types and rules of thumb are that lacquers gobble enamels and water-based paints, enamels gobble water-based paints but don't affect lacquers, water-based paints don't affect other paints and are best sprayed last if using multiple paint types. Alclad can be used over both enamels and water-based paints if used sparingly but play safe and spray Alclad first. Alclad doesn't seem to be as hot as some other lacquers and it is a dream to use once you get used to it, giving some wonderful finishes.

Not sure what you are getting at with the embossed wording on the tailgate? Isn't it all the same colour on the tailgate so no masking is required?

Cheers
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: grover

On the bench:
Revell 1-72 Hunter FGA.9

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #4

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Steve, with the tail gate I'm going to carry the 2 white stripes over to that, so they will come right down through the embossed text.

Thanks also for the tip on the Alclads, I may even do some test paints tomorrow with some spare plastic I have. Ive also just ordered some Mr Metal aluminium which I can brush on some of the smaller parts, and then buff up.

Kane

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #5

• Viperbuilder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 453
No problem Grover. I'm not sure how up you are on Alclad but you need the black base to paint them over because they are a little transparent and dull when painted onto a non-black surface. The black gives the metallic finishes some depth so they look good. If you spray Alclad onto a white or grey plastic surface they look kind of washed out and bluck. :S

OK, if masking over embossed lettering then begin with thin strips of masking tape. Aizu in Japan make Kabuki masking tape in micro sizes from 0.4mm to 2.5mm (available from Hobbylink) that are readily usable but you can also cut plain old Tamiya masking tape into say 1mm strips to use as your tape instead. The narrow strips make the tape flexible enough to conform over all curves and bumps. I've been using the same over compound curves for many years now and it works a treat.

On the bench:
Revell 1-72 Hunter FGA.9

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #6

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks again Steve. Im gonna grab a small slab of glass and a small set square so I can cut my own tape. I'm thinking about not actually chroming the front grill, but making it body coloured like the image below. I always thought chrome should be used sparingly to make subtle accents, but then I'm not American ;) .

Kane

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #7

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
  • Thank you received: 103
Hehe, looking at that truck, I dont believe it should be anywhere near the word "subtle". Unless it's the phrase "subtle as a sledgehammer"! :woohoo:
I'm afraid I just don't "get" American auto design :huh:
Looking forward to your progress.

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #8

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
  • Thank you received: 247
My envy meter is in the red for this one.
I'll been watching with interest

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #9

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
So got some time yesterday to open then bags. First thing I did was a fit test. Looks positive and has given me an idea of the route I want to take.

I've also been reading back on some of the previous car builds to get some ideas and see what others have done. In one of Michael's threads it was suggested to use oven cleaner in a bag to remove the chrome plating. One bag - check, on can of oven cleaner - check, one chromed sprue - check!

I left it under 24 hours

I may have been a bit hasty though. I washed the sprue hoping the last little bits of yellow primer would come off but they haven't. Now Im drying the Sprue and bag and will give it another quick go over with oven cleaner. Should be set for prep tonight.

Ive also put together some of the parts and glued them to cocktail sticks for priming. Im actually going to use a mistake of the past and prime at a higher pressure to get a rougher texture on some of the parts like the carpet and headliner. The closest thing I have in my paint collection to cream leather is Mr Hobby Aqueous Radome which is a bit light I think, so I added a light leather to my Mr Metals paint order from BNA.

My plan for today is preping more of the parts, assembly of the running gear and sub assembling the engine. I'll be spraying the block in the same blue I use for the body and chroming the headers. I also hope to mask off areas I don't want to paint due to needing to glue those areas, although I see some people just gluing paint to paint. I don't want to ruin the bush in my Tamiya extra thin.

Kane

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #10

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 496
Looking forward to seeing how this comes together. Looks like a nice kit.

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #11

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 131
Looking good.

Cheers Michael

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #12

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
So I have been working on this for a good portion today, doing the sanding and prepping, and a little bit of assembly.

I also decided to test the ModelAir color to see how it would come out and what colour it would actually be. From experience, I tipped a little into my paint pallet and tried the 3 different thinners I have to see if any would cause problems. Luckily I saw that two of the thinners didnt like the paint.

The primer on this test piece wasn't great so I didnt expect a great finish but I'm really happy with the colour.

Other parts I started masking so I wouldnt have painted parts in areas I will want to glue in the future. I have a love hate relationship with masking. I hate doing it but I love it when I peel it away and the mask has worked perfectly.

I've also sorted a bunch of the parts to different groups ready for painting. Here's what I will be painting primarily in a leather colour.

I've also started putting together some parts of the engine together that I will airbrush like the block which I'm painting Blue.

I've been having a few problems with my airbrushes. They seem clean but are spitting big time so I don't think I will be doing any painting till I get back from the states around the 25th. I'm going to grab a cleaning kit for H&S airbrushes and if I have enough money I'll also get a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity. Fingers crossed.

Kane
Last Edit: by grover.

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #13

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

grover wrote:
Other parts I started masking so I wouldnt have painted parts in areas I will want to glue in the future.

I need to do that more. Save more work at glue time.

Cheers
Michael

Cheers Michael

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #14

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Not many updates but I've still been working away, mostly sanding and prepping.

I primed the chassis with a Tamiya rattle can as I wasn't sure I could get a good enough finish with my AK primers.

A lot of small parts with ejector pin marks or seam lines and sprue joins that have needed sanding. A slow job because I dont want to go in with too coarse a sander and get the parts out of shape.

The back of the seats have had a bit of filler. I was hoping the primer would fill in the small gaps but the first coat didnt so I used some Vallejo primer. Tomorrow I sand.

I did the first coat of semi-gloss black on the chassis. It laid down really well but the finish is really matte. I'm wondering if it's because I used Mr Hobby Leveling thinner. I just got some X-20A so I'll try that tomorrow and see how it goes with the next coat.

I also used an Alclad black gloss base for the first time on a few of the parts. My airbrush is spitting a little and the finish hasnt come out exactly smooth. From what I have read and watched, prep and surface finish is key for Alclads. I'm not too sure if I'll give the parts I can a light sand or if I'll just see how it goes.

Kane

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #15

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
  • Thank you received: 247
Looking good, and yes the surface finish is important with Alclad, in particular the chrome.

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #16

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cheers Webby. It's clean up day in the cave. Need to sort out all the bottles of chemicals I have too. Then back to sanding :whistle:

Kane

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #17

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
So after another big Airbrush clean, I laid some more primer down. Did it a bit thicker this time and I'm not too sure about the results yet. My first coat, even though it was light came right off with a 2000 grit wet&dry. I may try some Tamiya polishing compound on these if the finish is still rough, and I'll be going to just using a Tamiya grey for future priming I think.

I also got some Alclad Steel down on the gearbox and exhaust pipe. Will look to chrome the exhaust tip though and I have some Mr Color buffable metals coming for the mufflers and engine. The Alclad wasn't as scary as I thought either and cleaned up much easier than polymer primers. :blink:

Kane

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #18

• Dangermouse84
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 80
I like your work bench lay out
The following user(s) said Thank You: grover

Slow is steady, steady is fast

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #19

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Dangermouse84 wrote: I like your work bench lay out

Thanks DM. Funnily enough I just found a picture of when I first started in August, along with the one model I had then that kicked it all off. My how things have changed.

Kane

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #20

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 442
Truck looks good. And wow, you have your modelling space organised! :cheer:

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #21

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Grant wrote: Truck looks good. And wow, you have your modelling space organised! :cheer:

Probably spend more time looking at new tools and ways to organise my stuff than I do modelling :lol:

Kane

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #22

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

grover wrote:

Grant wrote: Truck looks good. And wow, you have your modelling space organised! :cheer:

Probably spend more time looking at new tools and ways to organise my stuff than I do modelling :lol:

Yip if I built as often as I looked at others building or looking at kits to buy then I wouldn't have a stash I might have lots of finished kits lol.

As for the sexy Ford it's looking good. That steel looks like a nice color

Cheers
Michael

Cheers Michael

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #23

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cheers Michael. Yeah it didnt come out too bad. Probably a bit darker than what I wanted but it's all about learning. I'm probably 6 or 7 centuries away from having anything show quality so who cares if I take a few liberties :whistle:

Got up early this morning all keen to see how the primer turned out. Really surprised but it was really nice. A fairly smooth finish and the few blemishes that were on there took a super light sand and were gone. So off I went to lay down some white Tamiya X1 for the stripes I'm adding to the truck and oh dear. The airbrush was spitting and splattering and I was too dumb to stop. It was my first time using Tamiya X-20A and maybe it wasnt thin enough. I also didn't add the paint retarder i just got on Wednesday which I think would have helped.

It hasn't come out too bad though, but will need some sanding back and a better coat applied before masking off for the main colour.

I was a bit bummed at the output but decided to give the leather interior a go. This time I was using a Gunze Mr Color Aqueous semi-gloss light brown. I also used the Mr Color leveling thinner that has a paint retarder in it. Result? Much better. Nice even spray. Nice coats laid down.

Next job is to mask up the dash and door panels, glass and couple of other bits and pieces to paint semi-gloss back.

Kane

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #24

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Wow looking really good there Grover.

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #25

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 496
Looking good mate. Maybe the heat is making your airbrush spit?

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #26

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

grover wrote: Cheers Michael. Yeah it didnt come out too bad. Probably a bit darker than what I wanted but it's all about learning. I'm probably 6 or 7 centuries away from having anything show quality so who cares if I take a few liberties

I know that feeling, my expectations and results is separated by my skill level lol

grover wrote: I was a bit bummed at the output but decided to give the leather interior a go. This time I was using a Gunze Mr Color Aqueous semi-gloss light brown. I also used the Mr Color leveling thinner that has a paint retarder in it. Result? Much better. Nice even spray. Nice coats laid down.

Really like that. I am about to try a Vallejo tan color for the Mustang. Wouldn't mind giving some Gunze colors a go.

Cheers
Michael

Cheers Michael

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #27

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys. Michael, I've only had good experiences with the Gunze stuff. I just wish it and Tamiya came in bottles like the Vallejo stuff.

VD, I think your'e right about the heat a bit. The Mr Hobby leveling thinner helps as it has a retarder in it to slow down the drying. I'll be trying the gloss white stripes again tonight or tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow as Im drinking tonight. :lol:

Kane

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #28

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
OK a bit of a big update. I pushed to get a bunch done before I head off overseas for a couple of weeks.

I started masking the areas I wanted to keep leather last night

It included most of the door panels, with just the tops of the arm rest being painted semi-gloss black.

Parts of the tie downs for the rear axle had ejector pin marks. They were too small for a sander so I scraped them down with a blade.

And I started the assembly of the drive train so I could give it and the chassis their 2nd coat of paint together.

Front and rear axle's complete and ready for their next coat of paint.

The striping needed to be done again after a sand back cause of my poor airbrush skills.

This time the gloss white laid down much nicer.

I got the chassis painted in SG Black too. Actually a really productive painting day today.

I got to mask up the stripes on the cab, bonnet and tail gate in the sun

I then put on a couple of coats of Vallejo Model Air Blue. It spat all over the place. not happy so i just laid it down thick.

And here's the cab. I may do a coat of clear gloss tonight when it gets cooler. Really keen to see how my stripes came out.

Kane

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #29

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Last little bit today and I feel I've fallen victim to my own haste and impatience. The rush to get a good chunk done before I leave on Tuesday has meant the body isn't the nicest it could be, and really I should sand it back and start again, or at least and back and smooth out the bumps and respray but I think I'll only do that if I feel the urge for a perfect finish when I get back at the end of the month. Let's see.

Anyway tonight I made up most of the interior and I'm quite happy with how it came out after a few learning moments.

Apart from the splattery paint, I also probably took the masking off the body sooner than I should have. I have given it a gloss coat though so I cam mask the last coat of black around the windows and some of the trim

Overall I'm still pleased with progress, this being my first ever car/truck and my 3rd attempted model since rejoining the hobby. Mostly because i'm learning so much about prep and painting and the airbrush and I are starting to speak the same language. Not all the time but it's getting there.

Kane

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #30

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 429
Looking good Grover. The interior could do with a wash and a drybrush to make the details pop a little more but otherwise she looks tidy. Shame about the vallejo, they are normally a good quality paint from what I've heard. Another thing you'll learn from airbrushing is that most paints don't all spray the same. You have to change your variables somewhat depending on what you are spraying. I almost exclusively use Tamiya and Gunze Aqueous acrylics (which luckily behave exactly the same) but I also have AK and Ammo acrylics which I haven't gotten around to using yet. No doubt when I do I'll have to do a bit of practice first.
Good to hear the Mr levelling Thinner worked well, I have been meaning to get some as I hear it is fantastic stuff. Re your X-20A issue, X-20A already has retarder in it so if you add some more you may find that your paint will never dry (or at least take a very long time!). I too have had issues in the past spraying tamiya acrylics and I found that once I started adding more thinner than I thought (not exact amounts, just an extra squirt of thinner) it started spraying a lot nicer. Tamiya's have a nasty habit of drying in the air before they hit your model if you don't use enough thinner or use too high a pressure. I used to do half n half paint to thinner but now tend to do more 1 part paint to 3 parts thinner or thereabouts.

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Meng Ford F-350 - My First Truck 4 years 9 months ago #31

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cheers mate. If I decide to repaint (which I probably wont as I want to get onto the Scooter) I'll probably use a Mr Color for the body. What I'm really waiting for is my Mr Metals to turn up so I can do the engine.

Kane
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary