• yak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 weeks 1 day ago - 4 weeks 1 day ago #1 by yak
41 Plymouth Coupe was created by yak
AMT 1/25 Plymouth coupe

Rob

No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab Rebuild
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car
1/24 Fujimi Nissan S14 Silvia (early)
1/24 Fujimi Autech S14 Silvia (late)

Last edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by yak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 6 hours ago #2 by Admoto
Replied by Admoto on topic 41 Plymouth Coupe
I like it. But to be honest something is not right. Is that pigments on the roof and did you use the salt technique on the body. ?

• yak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 weeks 6 hours ago #3 by yak
Replied by yak on topic 41 Plymouth Coupe
Yes i did the salt on this one but instead of just using an oxcide red base like i did on the chevy i based it black and then used a sponge to speckle different rust colours on. And there is some pigments on the top areas and around the rust outs. It's only my second attempt at this type of finish so any ideas on how to improve are welcome.

Rob

More
4 weeks 5 hours ago #4 by Admoto
Sorry I am not trying to be critical. Also I am no expert. I think from what I can see from the photos the different weathering techniques are not working together. When I have used the salt technique I used rock salt to give lots of variation in the chip sizes. I usually spray several rust shades on the base coat to get a little variation. The pigments look like they are sitting on top in places like dust rather than being part of it. I have never had much success with pigments myself. Recently I have been having more success with really coarse sponge rather than the salt technique. There are so many ways of doing this and like every thing else in this hobby we are continually learning. I want to try and add more rust by using an airbrush next time I attempt one of these.

• yak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 weeks 5 hours ago #5 by yak
Replied by yak on topic 41 Plymouth Coupe
Algood mate, feedback is good. I wasn't overly happy with the look of the roof which is why a tried the pigments. I dont like the top of the boot either and the roof was much the same and to me it doesn't really look correct. But i'm happy with the overall look. I have another on the go at the moment which i have airbushed the rust tones so trying another technique although there wont be as much showing once its top coat go's on.

Rob

More
4 weeks 2 hours ago #6 by Admoto
Yes it was mostly the roof and top of boot that did not look right to me. So pigments. When I was talking about using sponge I don't know if technically it is sponge. The type I am mostly using is very open and very corse. Gives quite a realistic look. On the yellow drum I have applied it by dipping the mesh/ sponge in to Life color rust dark shadow ( dark brown ) then dabbed on paper towel to remove excess paint then tapped on drum. If you have a wet cotton bud handy you can remove any spots you don't like if you do it quickly. Then I have light touched it with a brush with Vallejo light rust wash. Though if I was doing a car would probably not add the wash to the spots. Look ford to seeing your n

More
4 weeks 2 hours ago #7 by Admoto
Yes it was mostly the roof and top of boot that did not look right to me. So pigments. When I was talking about using sponge I don't know if technically it is sponge. The type I am mostly using is very open and very corse. Gives quite a realistic look. On the yellow drum I have applied it by dipping the mesh/ sponge in to Life color rust dark shadow ( dark brown ) then dabbed on paper towel to remove excess paint then tapped on drum. If you have a wet cotton bud handy you can remove any spots you don't like. Then I touched it with a brush with Vallejo light rust wash. Though if I was doing a car would probably not add the wash to the spots. Look forward to seeing your nex one. I plan to do one soon using a 1/32 Arii kit.
Attachments:

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
3 weeks 1 day ago #8 by grover
Replied by grover on topic 41 Plymouth Coupe
Great work Rob and great discussion on the weathering. I just cant get over those rust holes you've made. That look so real.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary