Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper 8 years 8 months ago #61

• Whiterook
  • Whiterook's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Thanks Tony and Gary....I really appreciate the comments. The use of oils will forever change my modeling....amazing what it brings to the table!!! I have to admit, I like what chalk washes have dome for me with seam and panel lines, but I can see the benefit of oils....they're just a tad harder to learn, technique wise on the oils.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper 8 years 8 months ago #62

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
At this point of the build, I'm nearing the end in this build. I mainly did the bottom of the Viper, weathering it much as the top. I didn't snap any pics of her belly, but in time. I also touched up some of the top and sides, as well.

But one of the big things worked on was the nose. I painted the nose cone exterior a dark gray, and then a coat of lighter gray on top; followed by some chipping. Then some 'dirt' washed inside the nose cone. All done in Folk Art acrylic. Next came the fun part...out came the old pin vice and on went the Retro-thrusters!

I drilled so that I broke the surface, but not drilled all the way through. Next, applying some oil paint dark brown almost to black, and then pulled for some streaking effect.

Attachments:

Last Edit: by Whiterook.

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper 8 years 8 months ago #63

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Next came the Reto-thrusters to the port and starboard engines.....and also notice the laser blast was finished up, reducing the size and enhancing the shape.....

Near the bottom wing.....

Near the bottom wing.....

And all tied together.....

Attachments:

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper 8 years 8 months ago #64

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
The rear half of the canopy got a little more grime, as well as the scoops....

More grime....remember, this Viper see's a lot of atmospheric muck!

And the exposed hydraulics get some grime,as well....

Attachments:

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper 8 years 8 months ago #65

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
And finally, the point at which some of you had been waiting to see (including me at this stage!!!)....off with the canopy masks!!!

But first, some reasoning behind some of the method to my madness....the early version Vipers, as seen in the re-imagined series, and particularly in "The Plan" and the last year of the show, were pretty glossy; yet the original series seemed to be more satin. I chose a combination in the end. I really didn't like the look of the gloss, and especially where there is some heavy weathering on it. I sprayed a dullcoat on her....and....well....didn't like that either. So I brushed on a light gloss to areas and left others satin. I tried to go with the fact that aging would turn some areas satin, but in my view, not all.

The ship itself is finished to my liking. Next I'll start on the base to finish the project up. Here are a few more pics, but only a couple full shots. You'll have to wait for the finals have been posted on the other site for the compeition buld, for the rest!

The nose came out great....just the right amount of chipping in my estimation. Oddly enough, this is one of my favorite bit of weathering on the Viper, to be honest; followed by the deep oil muck in the thruster systems and the scratched up pinstripes....

The canopy came out very good, compared to previous efforts of mine. This was the first time I believe I used masks so extensively and successfully. What a difference airbrushing the 'metal' fame of canopies makes!!!

I tried to chip it lightly, and not go overboard. I also placed washes under the canopy to bring some depth and enhance the separtation between canopy and fusilage. I also tried to indicate the chipping in the direction that space born particulate debris would have been sucked into the upper scoop; as well as the dirt and dustiness on the back canopie.

The back edge of the fusilage would have had a bit of a dead-space whirlwind effect I believe, so I made it grimey. All in interpretation, I guess.

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper 8 years 8 months ago #66

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Personally, I really like the way it came out. And also, it was really nice to finally see the Pilot again! Hopefully, the following will give a good indication of the differences between the satin and glossed surfaces....

Attachments:

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper 8 years 8 months ago #67

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
A close up of some grime, and a laser blast.....

And besides the grime, I tried to achieve a scratched chipping look.....

Again, all in the backward flow direction. I think these might be the best shots of the satin finish, all achieved with a spray coat of dullcoating, and then brushed-light layering with gloss to a satin finish.

And two of the most difficult portions to get to look right.....the back thrusters, made with the clear plastic disks that came with the kit. To get this to look right to me, I made the interior of the thrusters very dark and burnt; to juxtapose with the glass-like appearance of the thruster disks. Truthfully, these are best used when lighting the model, but the lighting kit was out of my price range (as well as for the wrong model!)

Note two things: The nose paint looks much better satin than glossy. And I chose to leave the seam on the bottim of the fusilage. When I painted the white, before weathering, I thought I had made a mistake....but I wanted to have that seam as I thought it would look more dramatic. After weathering, I felt I made the right decision. I have a feeling some modeling purists may view that as a mistake. Enhhh. There loss!

Next....the base!

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper 8 years 8 months ago #68

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well folks, we're wrapping up the Colonial Recon Viper! Up next was the base....and actually, it's a pretty solid base included with the kit. I assembled it and let cure. Nothing to really photograph in progress as it was a pretty straightforward four pieces glued together. The excitement though was in the airbrushing! I found the magic mixture of Tamiya Acrylic to 91% Isopropyl; and decreased my psi down to 20 psi (I had the foolish thing on 40 psi!!!).....magic! Sprayed on with control and ease not hitherto experienced, my friends....AWESOME! Felt like I actually knew what the hell I was doing!

And of course, sanded down all the flash, mold lines and pin marks.

I always felt like I was rushing with the side-to-side swiping coats, and turns out it's because I was! The pressure was so frakkin' high that I had to haul ass or experience the dreaded runs (no, not that kind!). This was much more ease and please, so to speak. Used Tamiya Semi-gloss black.

Next, some Future floor polish brushed on with a wide artist brush, on the name plate for a high gloss.....

Attachments:

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper 8 years 8 months ago #69

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
And then the decal.......

And yup...my famous cat food cups....a modeller's best friend!

A final coat of Future went over the decal to seal it in and give it a good protective coat. The trick with the Future is to do only a single swipe of the brush; two at most...and wet. Allowed to dry overnight, the Future floor acrylic coat levels all the brush lines.....

The base stand pops into the undercarriage of the Viper, and you can gimal the Viper to pose in different directions...it's a good friction fitting with a solid hold.....

AND DRUM ROLL PLEASE.......

I present to you, the:
Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper, Marine Squadron MFP-3, Captain Gallant; First Cylon War

Conclusion: This was much more fun to build than I anticpated. What really got me was, the freedom to roll with it; to not be bound by trying to capture exact details, exact camo colors, etc. It could morph and become anything I wanted it to become. That energized my inspiration and turbocharged my experimentation and creativity. Everyone should step WAY out of the box every now and then, I am a fiirm believer in that now! I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did building her! And thanks for bearing with so many pics and posts in such a short time frame...this model has been under construction since late last summer, on and off.
Attachments:

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper 8 years 8 months ago #70

• David66
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
That's some great model-making there. I've always liked the Viper, both the early and late marks, and seeing this build has made me tempted to get one. Having said that, I think if I had the choice I'd go with an X-Wing (Ducks quickly to avoid hail of laser bolts!):lol:

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper 8 years 8 months ago #71

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
LOL....:cheer:

Yeah, the X-Wing is a sexy bird! Gotta build me one of those! I agree with you on the Vipers...I love all of them. Great looking craft, and each has it's special qualities. This particular model s somewhere around 16 inches long, or so. To go the extreme opposite direction, here are some pics of my 1 inch long pewter miniatures, all hand pained in the end, that I am using in a Battlestar Galactica miniatures game I designing.....

All under construction. And what did they look like after painting?

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper 8 years 8 months ago #72

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
With new factory paint jobs! :silly:

All done with Folk Art Acrylics craft paint, no less!

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper 8 years 8 months ago #73

• Gary
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 945
Hey Em for future ref why don't you spray the vipers white, put a black wash on them and then make a reusable mask for the stripes? look like a quicker method for mass production than hand painting them all.
They look good anyway mate, I'm tight I would have bought a couple of vipers and then cast the rest from Resin (yeah I know it's probably illegal or something but it's not like you're reselling them).

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper 8 years 8 months ago #74

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Gary wrote: Hey Em for future ref why don't you spray the vipers white, put a black wash on them and then make a reusable mask for the stripes? look like a quicker method for mass production than hand painting them all.
They look good anyway mate, I'm tight I would have bought a couple of vipers and then cast the rest from Resin (yeah I know it's probably illegal or something but it's not like you're reselling them).

:silly: Well, if I were doing then now, I certainly would use the airbrush....at least for most (if not all) of the work. At the time these were doe, I had never operted an airbrush in my life, and have since used the AB on maybe three models? It's operation and facility with is a work in progress. At the time, it was actually quicker and a known quantity (process) to do by hand.

All my Stagate miniatures, as well as my pewter and resin WWII stock are also all handpainted. These days, I'd likely turn to the airbrush first now. The main reason not-so-much being quickness or time saving; but rather, smoothness and eveness of coat, as well as thinner layers and control. I'd also use thinner acrylics made for modeling or miniatures, rather than craft sore acrylics. I think the end result....actually, I know the end result will be much better and more professional looking.

Made the best of what I had and knew at the time....my only excuse.

.....Oh yeah, and on the casting the rest in resin....have since bought molding material and Permastone. Never did it, but it'll be an adventure!!!!!

Last Edit: by Whiterook.
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary