Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Whiterook
  • Whiterook's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #31 by Whiterook
Replied by Whiterook on topic Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper
The pilot, whom it seems I kept finding something else to do to it, had the darker brown shoulder apulettts added at this point. I had forgotten all about those and actually thought of them as I was going to bed one night. A quick peek on Google and I was good to go!!!

I also added a touch more paint to some dials.

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Whiterook.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #32 by Whiterook
Next up came the Main Atmospheric Scoop mounted in the nose.....

And then it was time for the vertical fin. The fin was first glued together, and the fit was a little off and required some filing to even out, being careful not to take too much off to effect angles in an adverse way; and fortunately, only minor adjustments needed to be made, and therefore it all came out very well. You can see some of the uneveness on this next pic, prior to filing and sanding.....

The fin mounts to this location, and another odd fit appeared, as there was a thruster clamp in the way, obviously missed as an obstacle in the design of the model. A little delicate filing and all was well......

This is the final result, fin mounted on the engine compartment. Look at the detail of this kit in relation to the engine/thrusters...beautiful! I think re-tooling this kit was a positive move!

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #33 by Whiterook
Some close up's....

The front section of the fin needed some filing adjustments....

On a side note here folks, this is the back thrusters area of the Viper. Clear plastic inserts go in through the back ends of all three thrusters, and when the kit is lit (as in the Mobious designs you may have seen on the 'net), looks like the engines are on full burn. Awesome. Unfortunately, I did not lighting this kit. I'll likely buy the Mobious kit (which is a Mk II, by the way!), and buy the lighting kit for it, but on this bird, no lights. The clear plastic will go in regardless, after airbrushing of course. I considered trying some white Evergreen disks glued within; or tin foil....the thought being to give the illusion of engine flame.....but none of that ever oanned out.

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #34 by Whiterook
Some work on the Gaseous Matter Intakes, of which I painted a Metalic Aluminum on as a base coat with Fok Art Acrylics, and then Anniversary Silver; the later of which is a funky paint that goes on very wet and gooey, is slightly translucent, and 'settles' in place by the weight of it's own pigments! Kinda like Future! The result is a shiny Steel look; look carefully at the cones, especially the end ones, and you can see the ridges from the rest of the part!

I really like the way they came out! They were then glued to the Atmospheric Thruster Scoops from the inside....

This is what they look like inside. I brush painted the interior the color of the fusilage (I'm not letting the cat out of the bag yet), and will then weather the inside heavily.....

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #35 by Whiterook
I worked on the Main Atmospheric Scoops by painting the inside of the scoops with Folk Art Acrylic White, three coats; and then weathered with some blackish feathering and dabbing. I'll weather them with a tad more dirt streaking later, but for now, they're grimmy enough. I did this because they'll be a little tougher to get to once glued on the engines....which is what I did next, and a nice fit they were....

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #36 by Whiterook
Next came the wing tops and the Kinetic Energy Cannons. The wing tops are gorgeous and will really bring the back half to life. The cannons fit like a glove but they required the most cleaning of any part on the kit thusfar, with pin marks and molding flash. So much that my hand actually started to cramp up! But it was worth the effort, because they're a huge part of the 'look' of this bird. That little brush in the background, BTW, is a cast off makeup brush I got from my wife; it's a small little one and works great for small parts and hard-to-get areas!

Here is an example of the small nub the cannon fits to.....

And assembled.....

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #37 by Whiterook
After dryfitting the wing tops on the wing, I noticed the hole and join for the lower half of the ship and wing bottoms was visible and stuck out terribly. Bad design on this part of the kit. I added some Squadron Putty to the area, dry, and then sanded it down. I wanted this to be finished and ready to go before I glue the wing tops on.....

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #38 by Whiterook
Next, finished main assembly of the Viper; and only have the cockpit canopy and the stand to assemble. I complete worked on the top half of the wings, attaching them to the lower wings; along with a little more Squadron Putty added to seal up a nasty join. The wings married up nicely, with few gaps. I needed to do a little finish sanding to smooth them off a tad.

Also done was attaching the front fuselage to the rear engine/thruster section. This was a little more precarious, as the instruction gave no indicating as what adheres to what, so some eyeballing of the parts and guess-timation resulted in my slapping on some glue and hoping for the best; and luckily, I nailed it first time out! Now, it looks like a Viper.....

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #39 by Whiterook
Those kinetic cannons look frakkin' AWESOME! I also really like the way the camera bay turned out, and inspecting the craft from several angles, it looks like it was meant to be there....a good thing!

What I never noticed while watching the show is the placement of the top engine intake....man, right behind the pilot! I think using an ejection seat would be a risky proposition!!!
Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #40 by Whiterook
First up was the Pilot's canopy, but there was a problem with the dryfit: The top thruster nacelle is elevated slightly above the nose fusilage, which caused a nasty gap between the main interior cockpit and the canopy support to the rear of the Pilot.....

So the obvious solution was to cut down part of the rear canopy to fit. Also, note on the picture above that the hydraulics lines (loops) are moved forward a tad, as I noted in the dryfit process that, they became 'invisible' in the rear cockpit (or at least, they would after some paint went on the rear canopy). So to trim the back canopy down, I scored it with a craft knife, and then chipped pieces off with my sprue cutters. Worked well enough. This is what it looked like before cleaning up the ragged plastic edges....

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #41 by Whiterook
After cleaning up the ragged edge of the clipped plastic, which is always a bit of a pain on hard clear plastic, It was time for a little paint before attaching. Basically, the inner portions of the thruster nacelles are already painted and weathered, and I didn't want to screw up my hard work; plus, it's naturally easier to paint the portions I needed to now than angling the brush in later. So, the rear half of the canopy was painted white, using "Folk Art Acrylic's" White. It took several coats, as it always does on this clear plastic, but a build up slow worked a charm. Then it was simply a matter of glueing the canopy to the fusilage. With the canopy lying EXACTLY on the cockpit perimeter, it was preferable to glue plastic to plastic, as the canopy will get a little paint on the 'metal' frame later, with heavy weathering.....

This is a good shot from the front....you can see what I meant about angling the brush in. In hindsight, it may have been a good idea to weather that triagular cockpit area too, but hey!

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #42 by Whiterook
Next was cleaning up some panel lines....always fun. Actually, it is! Very Zen. Note that I usually would have used some Squadron Putty to get an ultra smooth 'seamless' look, but most of this area will either be covered with decal, or heavy weathering, so all that was required was a nice smooth and even surface......

Next, taping! A little Painter's tape did the trick nicely (Someday I'll throw some money down for some nice Tamiya tape!!!), and I did the cockpit canopy and the camera canopy under the nose.....

Next up, some airbrushing!
Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #43 by Whiterook
The Viper was swept down clean of all dust, and then mounted on upside down cat food cups and blue tack bubblegum. Placed on a Rubbermaid carosel with a cake trivet, all placed in my GORGEOUS Pace airbrush spraybooth! I had trouble seeing inside the spraybooth last model, so I've since bought a desk lamp, which works a charm!

This is my home-made exhaust port, made from a thick piece of styro with duct tape around the edges, and a dryer vent hose and vent! Works perfect!!! I'm in the middle of a fridgid New England winter, and when I put this puppy in the window, only a little draft comes in!

The Viper pre-airbrushing.....

And the Viper after airbrushing Tamiya White.....

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #44 by Whiterook
Next, a coat of Future on the Viper, and it looked great thank goodness. Unlike my esteemed colleagues, I don't airbrush it on....perhaps in the future (no pun intended); but rather, I brush it on with a 3/4" artist brush. Works a peach! Whatever bubbles or ripples is shown after brushing, smooth out overnight as the Future settles under its own weight.

Buuuuuuut, the problem was, I knew there were a couple areas that I didn't get a full and even coat of white on and a little of the gray plastic underneath shown through with slight transparency. I know I could have fixed it in the weathering stage, but it was bugging me so, I knew I'd be pulling out the airbrush again, which I did! I was just being lazy. The other thing I was being lazy on was the cockpit canopy....I knew I should have masked off the canopy so that the 'frame' was exposed so that I could spray paint it; but I was being lazy, and figured I'd hand paint it. Bad idea, after thinking about it a bit, and coming to the realization that hand painting clear plastic is a bitch and a half....streaky at first, and have to build up way too many layers; plus, good luck getting even edges, even with a steady Artist's hand. So I re-masked the canopy and then re-airbrushed selected areas that needed re-touch, and the canopy fresh.

Starting with the canopy, the method is simple: Rip a small piece of Painter's tape, and lay a straight edge up to a raised edge so the tape sinks into the recess. Then, use a set of tweezers to make sure that edge is positioned right. Next, press down against the other edges slightly with my thumb fingernail to 'find' the outline; and then use a toothpick to press the tape into the other raised edges, getting a good strong and clean crease. Next, using an X-Acto craft knife with fresh #11 blade, score against the raised edge several times to cut through the tape in layers. Finally, back to the tweezers, grab a corner and hold the fulcrum of the cut with the toothpick and gently peel the unusable portions of the tape off.

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #45 by Whiterook
Once the above method (or similar) is used, you end up with something like this.....

You can see on the last pic, a little of the grey on the thruster cowling, but it was more on the tips of the wings and side of the nose.
Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #46 by Whiterook
I then airbrushed, as mentioned above....bye bye nice gloss coat! But the canopie was well worth the effort as you can see, with the 'framework' looking awesome....like from the factory! Nice and smooth.

awesome now, so that was worth it, too.....

awesome now, so that was worth it, too.....

I had also taken the opportunity to clean up a couple of seam lines before airbrushing. Let it dry overnight, next I put another gloss coat on the areas needing it for decals, and then put gloss over them. Then, I would be ready to start weathering.

I know one of the effects I wanted on the weathering was to chip the framework of the canopy. Then, dirty the bird up; paint the thrusters and exposed wiring/pipework; chip up the 'paint' of the decals stripes; some burn marks from blaster hits. I wanted this Viper used and on the line. The thrusters need some carbon marks, and the kinetic cannons need some burn marking. And I still needed to figure out what to do with the actual engine thrusters in back, with those clear plastic inserts.
Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #47 by Whiterook
Now she looks fairly 'factory fresh' at the moment, but that will be changing, with oil washes (my first attempt at full blown oil paint washes), details, and then some chalk pastels.

As mentioned in the previous post, I am going my own way with this Colonial Viper, and Galactica purists would probably try and shoot me with a Blaster for this. Their issue...not mine. This is a Recon Viper from the Battlestar Galactica, during the First Cylon War. It's part of Colonial Marines Frontier Patrol Squadron, Viper 3, commanded by Captain Gallant. Yup, I made myself a part of Battlestar Galactica lore!!!!! This is what she looks like......

She bears the Galactica colors, and squadron/plane designation. The Pilot name and rank is below the cockpit; there's a Rescue pull handle and designation sign, along with a triangular warning sign that the Viper is ejection seat equipped, with canopy firing mechanisms. The main intakes have 'Danger' signs. And you can just make out caution signs above the side nose fusilage mechanics bay.....

Here's a close up of the decals I was just speaking of.....

The decals for the 'Captain Gallant' signs were made from the Pilot decals, chopped up to form my name, and the 'Captain' from Apollo's. The rest of the decals were leftovers from my RF-4B Phantom jet build.
Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #48 by Whiterook
My call sign 'Bullet' is painted on the nose.....

'Opposite' was mispelled! Hey, maybe it's the way Picons (where I'm from) spell it!

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #49 by Whiterook
The last bit of decaling were 'No Step' warnings......

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #50 by Whiterook
I then started chipping. To recapture a thought on the direction I was heading, this is a Recon Viper, which is subject to a lot of abuse due to it's having to scoot and hide in asteroid fields, cosmic clutter filled with debris and nastiness, and also subject to many low-level atmospheric flights through all kinds of planetary weather conditions. What does all ths mean? Well, it's going to get a lot bumps and bruises from rock dust and debris.....

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #51 by Whiterook
This was done mainly with my X-Acto craft knife with #11 blade; some chipping with the point edge and digging carefully at the decals, and some with the sharp flat of the blade. Both methods had the stroke of the blade head in the direction the flying debris would have taken out the 'paint'. Another thing I used was a plain old sanding stick. By the way, this is why I really wasn't horribly concerned with the crummy fit of the thruster nacelle decals, all bunching up on me no matter how I positioned them; because I had planned on roughing up the leading edge anyway, so it all worked out in the end, in my opinion.

As with all things weathering, the trick is knowing when to stop....not sure how I faired in that catagory, but we'll see. This is once again, new territory, and I am daring to fail, as the only way to excel is usually through pushing your comfort zone. I like how the weatherd wing edges came out.....

And I love the look of the top wing, wich would take qiute a licking. On the Nacells, they will get a fair bit of painting chips and grime later.....

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #52 by Whiterook
Now, on to the scarry stuff....my first oil paint and turp wash. OMG!!!!!!!!

The medium of choice for this round was Winsor & Newton Turpentine with W&A Winton black oil paint, and also mixing in some Holbein Aqua Duo burnt seinna. The Aqua Duo is a water miscible oil, meaning it thins with water, but you can use it as a traditional poil, as well.

I also bought a new Royal soft-grip Golden Taklon round in 20/0 for the task......

I did the standard method of placing a blob of each on a small sheet of aluminum foil, and then mixed my puddles below; grabbing the paint with the brush and letting capillary draw do it's thing.....

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #53 by Whiterook
And, the results of my first ever oil and turp wash. Keep in mind, this is just the start, but I gave it a good go (well, 'good' is subjective, of course! Hang on to your seats (and dinners)......

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #54 by Whiterook
By the way....those that have followed this build on another site may have noticed the pics here are a little Better...crisper, better white balance, etc. Well, I've been able to adjust the pics with Photoshop Elements to fix the white balance, contrast, etc.

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #55 by Whiterook
As stated in the previous post, I bought some Winsor & Newton water-miscible oil paint, and tried yet another technique....and this one I've been wanting to try for awhile now.

I put a small dab of the new lamp black W&N paint, and a dab of the Aqua Duo burnt sienna on my palette of choice for this endeavor....a small sheet of aluminum foil! Cheap and already in the kitchen drawer! Then, using my brush, I made a small puddle of clear water, and grabbed some color from each dab and mixed a real wet mixture. I decided to forgo the dishsoap drop, as the paint appeared to have a good consistency to it, and thought it might settle in to the creases and ridges fine on it's own....which it did. I'm not saying dishsoap might mot be a bad ingredient....just not sure it's necessary.

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #56 by Whiterook
What I really like about this method was, it seemed to have all the benefits that the oil paint and turpentine had, being sucked right into the edges and crevices it needed to go into; but none of the smell or toxicity. The drawback I noticed was, the turp cleaned up off the surface a little easier in the other method.

I would dip the 20/0 brush, tip only, into the puddle and then take my time touching against edges and recesses....the extremely watered down paint mixture wicking in with capillary action to where it needed to go. The over coverage on surfaces cleaned up fairly easily with cotton swabs or a small ball of paper towel. The cotton swab and paper towel also helped to do some staining quite nicely. I even used my rubber-gloved finger to good use in dabbing and coaxing the paint to where it needed to go.

And the results! First up, the starboard side....

Now don't get too excited over he laser blast, as it will be fussed with a little more. At tstage of the build, it's still a work in progress!

Some of the raised edges, on the wings for example, still needed to be toned down a tad; but what I love is the dirty-muck look on the exposed engine components on the nacelles.....

Attachments:

More
8 years 10 months ago #57 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper
I'm glad people here can get a look at this. I love the weathering.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
8 years 10 months ago #58 by Gary
Yeah I agree with Tony, very good especially considering it's your first go with oils mate.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #59 by Whiterook
And the port side.....

You will notice that the canopy is getting a little work to it, as well, with some minor chipping.

Attachments:

• Whiterook
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #60 by Whiterook

So, this seems to be the the method of choice for me so far; and I'll also be still using my chalk wash technique, which works great, but in a different way. I also had a small addition I want to try, which hopefully won't ruin my day....retro thrusters!!!
Attachments:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary