• willvale
  • willvale's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #1 by willvale
1/144 Guntank (prototype version) was created by willvale
Hi all,

This sort of appeared from the HLJ sale in late November and after doing the Guncannon I thought it'd be another straightforward mojo-friendly project. It's the "early prototype" Guntank which has a rather '50s look about it, and could easily be some Soviet terror-weapon.

File Attachment:

It all fits together pretty well although I used some filler on the turret sides and underside to remove seams where the front section wraps around the sides, and where the two halves of the circular collar come together.

File Attachment:

I opted to leave most of the other seams though since they looked functional enough.

The main body fit well although clamps were required to get a good join between the sides and the hull. This wouldn't be a problem if you followed the instructions since the track units are supposed to be on little arms so they can come out from the hull when required. A bit like Wall-E's tracks/feet. But I wanted to glue mine so...

File Attachment:

The tracks are a bit weird if you've ever built a normal armour model. They're two mirror-image pieces each glued together along the vertical centreline. This means there are doubled up guide horns (which look a bit odd) and some impossible-to-fix-really seams in the wheels and bogie arms.

I opted not to do much here and weather it up later. Plus the wheels and bogie bodies will cover a lot of it up.

File Attachment:

I did remove the mould line around the outside of each track, which meant sanding down every grip plate on the treads, and cleaning up in each recess. That was probably the longest job. I also realised when I took these pictures that I forgot to photograph the wheels, and indeed forget to prime them!

File Attachment:

There are a pile of other parts including the very poseable main guns and vulcan cannon arms:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

The "shoulders" are supposed to be in a canvas or similar cloth cover, so I glued them into a fixed pose and filled/sculpted the missing bits from CA and talc. Not very sophisticated but it ought to paint up nicely.

Now I need to work out what colour it should be. I could do the same as the sandy Guncannon, but I'm thinking maybe dark green(simple splinter?) with the same orange/white helmet would look cool?

Cheers,

Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #2 by Mikep
Replied by Mikep on topic 1/144 Guntank (prototype version)
Nice choice of kit. Can't wait to what you do with it.

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
3 years 11 months ago #3 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic 1/144 Guntank (prototype version)
I have this kit (2 actually) so will be interested to see how it all comes together

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
3 years 11 months ago #4 by grover
Replied by grover on topic 1/144 Guntank (prototype version)
Ohh looking forward to seeing this built up

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

• willvale
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #5 by willvale
Replied by willvale on topic 1/144 Guntank (prototype version)
No real fit issues to report although the way the turret front wraps around the sides sort of suggests filler. You could leave it but it didn't feel quite like an armour plate thickness so I opted to fill. Otherwise it's the normal accurate fit - be careful if you test-fit since I've broken a couple of parts already getting them apart again. Even cutting down the pins hasn't helped that much.

I finished the priming and sanding and started with a medium blue + black pre-shade:

File Attachment:

I will probably need to buff it to make sure the spatter is flat and not lumpy. I find it hard to get the right balance of low pressure (more control) and high pressure (smaller droplets). Maybe I should go back to X-20A rather than lacquer thinner?

I've also painted some other parts - metallics for the joints and gun barrels, high-gloss metallics for the hydraulic rams and white for the head. Nothing very exciting in pictures though!

I think I'm going with a solid green finish, with some colour modulation. I looked at lots of splinter and other camo schemes and I think they only really shine on vehicles with slab sides, skirts or similar to show the pattern. This one is just way too busy shape-wise I reckon.

The head will be orange/white like the Guncannon, and I might (or might not!) add some Soviet-style recognition stripes.

Cheers,

Will

More
3 years 11 months ago #6 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic 1/144 Guntank (prototype version)
Sounds like you have a good plan dude.

I don't know much about the thinners, so can't really tell ya what's the better option - maybe just test it out on some scrap sprue or plastic...

• willvale
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #7 by willvale
I painted the greens today, I think it looks quite nice. This is a mix of Olive Green, Yellow Green and Flat Flesh (all Tamiya) with some of their X-22 added and thinned with lacquer thinner. I thinned a little more, turned the pressure up a bit and seem to be getting better results.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I free-handed some of the green onto the appropriate bits of the tracks, I think I'll touch-up with the brown.

File Attachment:

Most of the other bits are the same green, and the canvas arms are in a mixture of one of the Japanese Greens and the dregs of a pot of Wooden Deck Tan.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I need to paint the little epaulette thingies, maybe in orange/white stripes like the other, but I forgot to prime them white when I was doing the other parts.

Other than that it's about ready for some varnish and a few decals :)

Cheers,

Will

• willvale
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #8 by willvale
I've added some more highlights and painted other bits - ran out of light to take more pictures though.

File Attachment:

I've also built and am now filling and prepping for primer the four little Cosmo Fleet spaceships I got from the Mighty Ape sale:

File Attachment:

They are surprisingly complicated (and the engineering makes it hard to get a really good finish) but they have lovely details:

File Attachment:

Cheers,

Will

More
3 years 11 months ago #9 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic 1/144 Guntank (prototype version)
Looking good. Lovely paint work

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• willvale
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #10 by willvale
Thanks!

I painted various details yesterday:

File Attachment:

and today I was able to put some of it together (temporarily with blu-tak) to see what the scheme actually looks like.

File Attachment:

I rather like it - it has some commonality with the Guncannon, and the green/orange combo is nice especially with the white as a buffer.

I've now varnished everything and I need to touch that up and add a smattering of decals.

The little spaceship has had (quite a lot) of filler to unify the strakes and then a couple of coats of primer. Various scratches to get rid of now, and I have to decide whether to deepen the shallow seams with paint, or try and wick CA into the deep ones instead.

File Attachment:

Cheers,

Will

More
3 years 11 months ago #11 by Xtr3meNZer
Have to agree - the paint job loks great, and colouring looks awesome

• willvale
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago #12 by willvale
Hi folks,

Been away this week but I'm now catching up again. I scribed the fin edges on the destroyer and then primed and pre-shaded it:

File Attachment:

This was with very thin paint and medium pressure, I think it looks like a good base. Unfortunately the second one (painted in the same session with the same mix) looks less good - lots of tide marks and a few spiders. I think maybe the compressor got a bit too warm?

File Attachment:

I think it'll be OK when painted over though.

On the Guntank, I made some forward progress and some backward, but I think I've come out ahead overall. I got it into my head that I wanted to do some kind of counter-shading thing on the barrels like the long gun on the Sherman Firefly. I sprayed a couple of coats of hair spray and then went over it with white, but had that problem where I laid the paint on too wet and made the hairspray bubble up.

So I stripped that all back to bare plastic, primed it in white and masked the other way around:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Which I think looks kinda-OK and will hopefully be better when I've touched up the edges and sponged a little green onto the white to wear it a bit?

I made the barrels different, in part because I wanted to break up the shape more, but mostly because masking the more complicated one was tedious. If I'd persevered I'd probably have reversed the white bands for green bands but kept the white underside - it was just too fiddly to get it lined up though.

In other news I got the wheels varnished, still not done any decalling though!

Cheers,

Will

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
3 years 10 months ago #13 by grover
Replied by grover on topic 1/144 Guntank (prototype version)
That's great preshading on the destroyer, especially given its size.

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer
The following user(s) said Thank You: willvale

More
3 years 10 months ago #14 by Xtr3meNZer
Very tiny, and yes, very good job!

• willvale
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago #15 by willvale
Thanks! It was certainly a lot neater than the tank. Although the nice thing about pre-shading is that you get to practice airbrush skills and it doesn't matter if you stuff up since you can fix it with the top coat :)

I mixed up some warm yellow from Tamiya Flat Yellow and Orange and decided which bits to do:

File Attachment:

It then had a pass of the same thing lightened with white. The jar has what I want to use for the main colour, a mix of Hull Red, Flat Red and Orange. I think my subconscious has produced a little homage to Britains Space toys (remember those?) although I suppose those might have been influenced by the original SBY :)

Masking next, I'm a bit worried about masking along the panel lines since there's much more opportunity for bleeding, so I might try airbrushing a little varnish first to seal the tape edges. I suppose I could mask away from the panel edge but that might look a bit weird?

Cheers,

Will

More
3 years 10 months ago #16 by Xtr3meNZer
Good luck with the masking, hopefully turns out alright.

I have got this stuff (Bare Metal Foils), which has an adhesive backing, and is very fine. You can push it right into panel lines. It's mainly used for doing things like chrome pieces, like lining on door panels etc... but it works really really well for masking. It's probably a lot for a masking substitute, (about $15 a sheet) but if you want nice fine lines, and in the panels lines, this will do it for you.

• willvale
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #17 by willvale
Thanks for the tip, I suspect the non-stretchy-ness of the BMF would have been helpful for the nose of the bigger ship.

Got the other colour on now, there are a couple of patchy coats of the red and then some highlights lightened with flat flesh.

File Attachment:

Masking the cruciform nose was a bit of a fiddle, I used 2mm Micron tape to edge it and then filled it in with 6mm Tamiya tape. Even though I was careful to burnish each section as I laid it down (to stop tension pulling the tape out of the corners) it still managed to do that a little bit as you can see from the softness in at the front of the yellow band.

The rear section was done with 1mm Micron tape - very useful stuff. I think I'll paint the very tip of the "drive emitter" gunmetal or similar.

File Attachment:

The panel line gaps are still annoying me, must try and fill them somehow on the other two.

Cheers,

Will
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by willvale.

More
3 years 10 months ago #18 by Xtr3meNZer
Very nice :) Great colouring

• willvale
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago #19 by willvale
Thanks, I'm pleased with how the colours have come out.

I have decalled the two warships, just a handful of decals since I don't have any suitably tiny stencils (and they aren't really a warship thing in any case)

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

The hull numbers are from the Bandai sheet, but I didn't like the campy UN anchor logos or the Hiragana (?) names so I opted for some Kanji from a sheet I bought in a sale last year. I think they're from Aoshima and intended for Samurai banners.

If I've got the instructions right, the cruiser says "Loyal" and the destroyer "Ambition". But it could say "baka gaijin" for all I know.

I also decalled the Guntank which was a bit more involved. I tried the technique where you place the decals into a pool of Klear instead of using Microset and Microsol. It's a bit fraught (they don't move easily, it's sticky, etc.) but has almost eliminated silvering so may be worth pursuing.

'Scuse the bad pictures...

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Decals are from a variety of sources - the Guntank decal sheet I've been raiding for ages, a set of Tamiya 1/35 "Modern Armour" decals, Games Workshop for the skulls and a HiQ Parts sheet of sci-fi stencils. There are a few more on the guns and head but they're annoying to photograph, I really want to get to the point I can put it together now!

Finally today I got the ships to the point where they're almost done:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

They've had some enamel washes (no ill effects to report, FWIW I used MIG washes and Tamiya enamel thinner) and then I painted the windows and a few other details with acrylics, touched up the frames and overcoated everything with Klear Cote Flat.

The stands are brass tube in the kit bases - I removed the pins that hold the ugly "fins" into the base and used those to fill in the hole. Then cleaned up the surface with superglue and drilled a new hole for the tube. I need to sand them back and repaint though.

Still need to paint and fit the destroyer's missiles, weather the metal parts, and clean up the dust - the varnish and/or the washes have a tendency to pick up dust since they stay very slightly tacky for a while. I cleaned up a bit with masking tape and Blu-Tak for the photos but there's obviously some left as you can see.

Still, I might finish a model I started in January, in January, which would be an improvement on last year :) The Guntank is going to take a bit longer but probably will speed up now the ships are out of the way, unless I get stuck in to Dessler's one, or paint up the other two Cosmo Fleet ships?

Cheers,

Will

More
3 years 10 months ago #20 by Xtr3meNZer
Lol, "bad pictures"?? Mate, they look fine to me!

Good work also on these, they look awesome

• willvale
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago #21 by willvale
I was annoyed that I got the highlight to hit the decal I was trying to photograph :p Stupid gloss...
Need to psych myself up to start chipping the Guntank next I guess.
W

More
3 years 10 months ago #22 by johnsnz
Replied by johnsnz on topic 1/144 Guntank (prototype version)
The photos are better than 97% of the stuff you see on most modelling forums TBH.

Do you diffuse the light source??

Nice build. My youngest wants a guntank after building a Zaku over Xmas...

Cheers

John

• willvale
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago #23 by willvale
Thanks! I try to take pictures in cloudy daylight, facing a window, so the result is usually quite diffuse.

The last two were taken under my magnifying lamp which has a ring-shaped tube and gives a relatively diffuse light too. The white background helps because you get a fair bit of bounce from it to fill in the shadows.

Which Guntank - the original or this (slightly retro-looking) version? My daughter is quite keen on a Zaku to fight her Amazing Red Warrior, we're currently working our way through the original series which is clunkily-animated but still quite entertaining to watch.

Cheers,

Will

More
3 years 10 months ago #24 by Bishop
Oh these just look lovely to be honest. Great work.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #25 by johnsnz
Replied by johnsnz on topic 1/144 Guntank (prototype version)

willvale wrote: Thanks! I try to take pictures in cloudy daylight, facing a window, so the result is usually quite diffuse.

The last two were taken under my magnifying lamp which has a ring-shaped tube and gives a relatively diffuse light too. The white background helps because you get a fair bit of bounce from it to fill in the shadows.

Which Guntank - the original or this (slightly retro-looking) version? My daughter is quite keen on a Zaku to fight her Amazing Red Warrior, we're currently working our way through the original series which is clunkily-animated but still quite entertaining to watch.

Cheers,

Will

Probably the regular blue / red one in 1/144.

I'll get an order off to HLJ or the Gundam Shop on eBay once I work out which is cheaper.

The photos look good I got a pair of fixed lamps and soft boxes plus stands off of TM fairly cheaply. Not 'Pro' quality but adequate for taking photos of model kits... They seem to work very nicely.

Cheers

John
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by johnsnz.

• willvale
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago #26 by willvale
I've thought about a lightbox before, it'd make it more convenient because I wouldn't need to worry about colour temp. But for now, the pad and the chair and the window will do.

I finished the two ships - even managed to get the tanks/missiles onto the destroyer. I don't have any "studio" pictures yet because I was messing around painting the background for this:

File Attachment:

(Click for bigger)

Will get the other pics up tomorrow!

Cheers,

Will

More
3 years 10 months ago #27 by Xtr3meNZer
That is awesome! Love the pic!

More
3 years 10 months ago #28 by Bishop
Great shot with these two. How did you get out into space to take it???

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• willvale
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago #29 by willvale
Thanks :) Last year we moved to the top of a really big hill in Wellington so space is just a step-ladder away now.

Will

• willvale
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
3 years 9 months ago #30 by willvale
Hi all, sorry for the lack of updates! The Guntank has been languishing in its box since the last club meeting (poor little fella) but I have done some modelling in the form of this almost-ready-for-primer spice harvester from the Dune universe:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

It's going to go in a little diorama with a board game piece doing double duty as a sandworm :)

I hesitate to call it a scratch build as it uses mostly spare parts (Bandai accessories and various Trumpeter tanks) but I suppose most pieces have been cut or modified or otherwise rebuilt and there's a fair bit of Evergreen involved so it's not really a kit bash either.

Anyway, hopefully this will prompt me to get on and do the rest of the Guntank!

Cheers,

Will

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary