After a full on week at work running a conference, I finally got some more time today at the bench. Job number 1 was painting the cockpit so I could put it all together. I was going to paint it a mid grey
But decided on Nato Black instead. Given the choice to do a "fictional" paint scheme, I think I get to take liberties with the details.
While those parts were drying, I carried on with the build, putting the tail area together.
I've never done a kit like this and with limited knowledge of the makeup of the plane, I'm learning a lot putting this together. Like putting together moving parts like the swing wing mechanism. Swing might be a bit of a stretch given the range of movement, but they still move.
I took care putting the halves together and will be ensuring I'll keep moving the parts during the build to keep them free.
I'm also learning a lot about the make up of the other parts like these intakes, and having to plan the painting strategy as I go.
Finishing off the final bits for the build, but found some of the visible parts of the engine nacelles are showing the ejector pin marks. A bit of putty on them, and the front wheel well doors to flatten them out should do the trick. Next will be masking the canopy and some of the other glass bits.
It actually goes together pretty well Mike. No real fit issues and the engineering is quite nice, so it should allow some transformation. There will be some clean up and there were little bits if flash around done of the small cockpit parts, but it's 1:72 so I guess that's excusable. Quite enjoying this build so far and looking forward to getting her into paint.