Thanks for the tip about just laying down water first Dave. Made it a lot easier to get the decals into position. Round the back of the ship I have had to work decals underneath some parts, so I've been cutting all the excess carrier film off the decals.
I probably could have painted them on and it may have been a better option in some ways, but would have changed the build significantly. The only reason is the grey decals look far more beige than on the reference sheet. I'll be looking at fading them back a bit and then with the weathering and the final dull coate, I hope they will blend a bit better.
WOW...dude, this is da bomb...makes me want to go out and break my purchasing curfew and buy one...
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Cheers all. Not much to update. I don't think you want to see all the decals go on but I have finally finished them. The underside is all done
Unfortunately it took till I had nearly finished to work out the best way to deal with the decals. They are quite thick and I was hoping MicroSol or X20A would settle them and make them conform, but they just weren't. I tried little cuts around some of the areas they were standing up or not forming around a bump, but it still wasn't working. Then I just applied a for amount of force with the cotton bud (q-tip for non-kiwis) and that has done the trick. Who knew. I was always trying to be really careful with the decals after a couple of other balls ups. I guess it's all part of the learning. I have to remember I'm still fairly new.
I also primed and sprayed the stand, and also the name-plate which I painted in Stainless Steel (Mr Metal). I'll throw a picture of that up tomorrow when the light is better.
This weekend will be some more gloss applied, and maybe some sanding of the decals to wear them a little. Then I get some oil paints arriving next week and I will be practicing weathering with oils.
Very awesome. Really looking good mate. We all have those learning curves. This is something I think we all deal with every build... "couldv'e done this, this would have worked better". Always striving for perfection
So some oils turned up today and I have been doing a little practice with them on the underside, following some youtube vids. A question for those of you who have used oils before. Should I put them down on more of a matte surface? At the moment I'm seeing brushmarks big time, and the video I'm following, the maker was laying them down on a paintined, ie unvarnished surface,
That test staining with the oils looks quite good mate.
Cant help with any suggestions re with what to use that won't react but have you considered using clay washes over a glossed surface?
The plus side is that if you don't like the look you can just wipe off and start over again... unless you apply to a matt surface and then they can be a bit of a bugger to clean up as they tend to soak into the grain and can be difficult if not impossible to remove.
I use them on vehicles etc over a satin finish and that works really well. And definitely use them over an acrylic varnish coat, not an email, as the white spirits/turps you're using for the oils won't react with an acrylic.
So a little playing around this afternoon between work and a mates pub quiz fund raiser. I played around with the Flory's Dark Dirt and Black clay washes. Just to see how they would work
I think the Black worked better so......
...I went hard. Just came back and started taking off some the wash. It's going to be a bit of a job to do, but I think it's looking ok. I'll probably put a satin-ish varnish over this then finish off with oils before sealing them in, but I'm happy with the dirty look. Might be too dirty for some but I'll clean this up a bit more and be fussy.