OK, finally got some time back to carry on with the kit. I have primed it all black and it was looking pretty good (notice I saw WAS)
Next step was to do some chipping prep using a technique I saw on a Flory build using some Mr Masking Sol.
Putting some on the bottom of an empty paint pot, I ripped up some sponge to dip into the masking fluid and tap on the model.
The idea is once the topcoat has cured, i can rub it with a finger and it will peel off revealing the primer underneath. Not too sure how it will look, but worth a shot.
I tried to place it in areas I thought would take damage like front facing surfaces, and did some scraping actions. I am working on the underside first to do most of the learning, as its the side least likely to be seen. I actually found the best shape to use was a wedge and just dip the tip in as i could scrape it in different ways to create different effects.
Next I moved on to painting. I actually really enjoyed this which I didnt think I would given its size. I thought it would be a bit of a chore, but thans to the rotating Tamiya base, I started working my way around the ship, working in panels and modulating as I sprayed. I'm using Mr Color Aqueous H308 with Mr Color levelling thinner.
And pretty soon I had the whole bum painted.......but......
As I painted, like I have done before, I started noticing areas that needed more prep, or a bit of filler that i hadn't looked at or gotten back to. It's probably partially to do with the slow speed of my builds that by the time I get to the painting stage I just want to get on with it and don't take my time to check thoroughly.
And I also had a mishapp where I spilt a bunch of paint from the newly refilled colour cup. Luck this "hunk of junk" coveres the blemishes well and I'll see what it looks like. I mopped up as much as I dared and resprayed the area so I dont think it looks too bad.
This is the area I spilt it at the back
I went over with my last bit of paint adding extra paint to random panels just get get a bit more modulation in it. Now its a case of waiting for paint to dry
The paint dried pretty quickly and I was able to scrape away the areas where I had laid down the masking fluid.
I like the effect, but it doesnt work in this case because the chipping is too heavy for the scale, I think it would work better on a 1:48, and because of the black primer. It would have worked a lot better with a grey undercoat
I'll respray these areas and try and tone down the effect a little I think. It should come out OK.
A minor criticism if I may. (Ignore it if you like. ) The chipping technique definitely looks the business, but maybe would look better if the chips weren't so concentrated in specific areas and instead give an impression of general wear. But over all this looks great, especially the modulation of the paint job. You must be pretty happy with how this is turning out.
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
FineMolds 1:72 Millennium Falcon
4 years 1 month ago #234
Cheers guys. Top has had a lick of paint but I think needs another going over, then its probably a fix up of some of the gaps. I could leave them but Im quite happy with how its looking so don't want to be reminded of my crap prep work all the time , As for the underside chipping, I have prayed over the areas and it looks ok and you can still see the effect underneath. I think it will also pick up the raises areas of I give it a bit of a clay wash but I'm actually thinking of using oils for the first time on this one.
"I have prayed over the areas and it looks ok..."
I didnt realise you were religious Kane but hey whatever works eh. No doubt the creative, reflective, contemplative process of model making could be considered a 'spiritual' experience
I really like the colour modulation and shading of form especially the details. It could be cool to have a go at the oil washing as a new adventure