Bishop wrote: Now that is weird. You know, I'd almost get some styrene tube and cut it so that you can wrap it around the pipes so it looks like they are being joined. Going to be hard to fill those gaps.
'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''
I'd be removing the worst sections of pipe entirely and replacing them with continuous lengths of brass rod bent appropriately.Where the pipes go from a larger dia to the smaller then on into the recesses, I'd use that as the point to remove the poorly mating thinner sections and butt a cleanly finished end of the brass rod up agains the moulded on detail of the larger pipework.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop, grover
Vallejo acrylic filler the one with the really fine pointy nozzle should do fine, squeeze it in and wipe if off with a damp Q Tip or paint brush.
But if you have more to do I'd look at Tony's suggestions of tubing, you could get lolly sticks (the plastic types) or even the plastic sticks on some of the cheaper Q-Tips they have tubes instead of sticks, heat it up and stretch it until it's the correct diameter.
'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Cheers Gary, great minds. Ive had one of those tubes but never really used it. I didnt think about using cotton buds but do have a few sculpting tools I was going to use. Hopefully I can play with it tonight, but lately ive had to work every night, so no real time at the bench. This weekend will be my last chance for a while as I have to head to LA next week for work.
So been doing a small amount on the Falcon here and there. A bit of a grind but that's as much to do with other life things as it does with the million pieces needed for the build. Uve used some Vallejo putty to bridge the joins in the pipes. This is pre-sanding but I think its going to take some more prep work.
I also have done all the pipe work for the upper hull. Not many items left on the sprues except sprue E which has all the detailing around the sides of the Falcon. This is pretty much the final build section until I close her up. It's still a lot of pieces though
So a little work this afternoon and I have a couple of pieces done. Might do some more before bed, but my hope is to get as much built before Friday as I am off for work for 5 days. If I can, it would be great to have the actual build finished and maybe even a coat of primer laid down.
I love kit part spotting. On the piece on the left you can see a Panther or Tiger fire extinguisher (Tamiya) and on the right hand piece you can see a Pz IV bogie from the old Tamiya Pz IV H kit. The bogie still has the mounting points for the two wheels removed. This actually shows you just how well the Finemolds guys did their homework on this. To have reproduced the greeblies that well the ILM guys used, is quite amazing.
Sorry for the lack of updates. Work has been full on so I'm just getting back to it. Most of the build work is done so now it's time to close up the hulls.
Up until this point I still didn't know what I would do with the engine area. I masked up the grill and glued the blue film on the inside, but I have ended up not putting that on right now and just gluing in the engine section and masking that.
Next was to align the halves before screwing them together
Wow its smaller than I thought it was. The best part with this thing is the weathering. Think fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy and flying tank and you're half way there. That's a beautiful build mate.
Very nice indeed Kane...cant wait to see the paint and "space weathering" on it
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
First primer base laid down. I didn't plan to prime it all in black. I was just going to do the wells, and the sides that had all the detail, but I realised there is detail everywhere. So the black will become part of the preshading and I will really have to bring whatever airbrush skills I have developed to doing each panel as a separate piece. The cool thing is I should be able to modulate the colour a little this way, and I will have a lot of depth in the really busy areas of the model by leaving areas less covered.
You can see the gun turret here which I completed already. Will take a lot to go from back to that shade of grey
Another thing I will have to deal with is the size while painting. It's just too bloody big to fit in the spray booth so I will end up painting on the work bench. That's not a problem with the Stynylrez primer as it doesnt tend to go anywhere, but thinner paint could fly all over the place. I'll have to protect some of the areas and get some airflow in there.