Looking good. Best of luck with the Yellow, one of the worst colours in the hobby to paint with :-/
Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at
for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.
Thanks for the encouragement everyone.I just sprayed the yellow on and looks like I'll have to strip it off as my airbrush had
a hissy fit on me. The panel line weren't to bad to do but glad there done . It sure is a nice design and one of my favorites from the movie.
Well this kit is really not working for me at the moment. Had to strip it down twice now. First time when I was using Tamiya lemon yellow thinned with isopropyl alcohol and the paint was drying with a textured finish and then I thinned it down to much and it pooled at the edges, This time I used some yellow Humbrol acrylic and some Games workshop mithril silver and seemed to work but I'm really happy with the finish.
Thanks Xtr3meNZer. Love the variety of sci fi kits nowadays and most of the time you can paint them whatever color you want
Thanks Grover. One day I would like to try some alcads. They would look amazing but I really need to work on my airbrush skills a lot more before I try them/
Really like the humbrol rang of acrylics.
Fair enough Hadley wish I had started with the humbrol first but then I seem to be really rusty and it''s taking me a while to get back into it.
I still need to do a lot more work as there is a lot of paint splatters that I need to sand back and repaint, Think I will use a brush as I'm not having much luck with the airbrush. Hopefully 4th time is the charm.
Yeah, Yellow and White are the hardest damn paints to get a nice even finish with. Thinning down too much sucks, and I have done many times. I haven't sprayed yellow yet, but plenty of white. I think it just takes practice with it. With white I tend to spray it over the course of a few hours... the primer, then the first coat of white... very light cover, and then a few more coats... and then, maybe... another coat. When I first started, I treated it like any other colour... splash it on! and... well that didn't work out for me. Now I'm wiser, and take my time with white...
I find the best way to get a nice gloss coat is to apply a couple thin mists, then while the paint is still tacky apply a slightly thicker coat, if you're airbrushing use a lower air pressure (around 10 - 15 psi). Works for me, I then leave it for up to 48 depending on what type of paint it is and then cut it back with the Tamiya polishing compounds, I did this with the General Lee and I can see my face in the bodywork
'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Thanks Xtr3meNZer. I was a bit impatient wanting to get the first coats on but I should have taken my time. Thanks for the guidelines which I will put to use in the future.
Hopefully with time white and yellow will get better.
Thanks as well Gary. The compressor I'm using doesn't have a Regulator so I need to look at investing in one soon. I differently need to leave a lot more time between coats like you recommend. I haven;t used the Tamiya polishing compounds before. Do they work well with other brands as well?
I have had a bit of luck with the coats after sanding down the lumps that I found over it and brushing some Vallejo lemon yellow and some Games workshop chain mail.
Slowly starting to look a bit better.
I've decided to have a little break from the fighter and to work on the base. I had an idea to make it look like a asteroid and have used a wood base and covered it
with a few layers of cork. Next step is to carve it up to hopefully look like an asteroid. Sorry for the quality of the photos. I'm trying to get better
Well did a little more on the base. Attacked it with a dremel and carved out the craters. Also primed in black and dry brushed a few shades of grey and white, sanded down the previous paint on the base and painted it black. Also felt a bit inspired to do a few more light coats on the starfighter.
Thanks Grover. I quite happy with how the base came out. Wasn't sure it would work at first. Nearly finished the fighter just got to paint the canopy and glue r2d2 together then paint him. Be glad to finish this one. Going though my started models the other day and forund my warhammer Valkyrie that I'm going to do next.